Is Morningstar Worth Subscription?

Does anyone besides me hate the new Morningstar online data format?

It looks like a crappy financial finger painting.

Add to that the fact that 1 day the "stock favs" screen shows 20ish questionable

5 star results & the next it shows 400ish questionable 5 star results.

The financial data used to be OK, but with the current format it's total crap.

I canceled my subscription.

The structure and format is worse than before. Loads slower and takes more time to navigate. But it is free through the library, so I'm gonna continue using it. And previously library version did not include analyst reports. Now it does - though they may change that again.

The online version of the financial data is no longer useful for me but if I download the data as an Excel file it's better. I miss the old format where I could control the number of significant figures in the financial data, rounding up and down.  The current format shows too little and I can't get more granular data unless I download the Excel file.

Mike

I used Morningstar a lot to take a first peek at / get a quick overview of the financials of a new company but that's now impossible. How the fuck can I quickly determine anything useful about the cashflow of a company from this 10-page mess? I'm surprised they haven't changed it back yet. It's so terrible. Must be costing them a lot of customers in the long run.

morningst.png

rocketfinancial.com is something similar. But the good think about Morningstar is that you can see financials from stocks worldwide, not just US stocks. I haven’t found a replacement that offers the same range of stocks.

Investing.com was mentioned by someone in another topic. I've been using that site recently and found it surprisingly good. It offers a wide range of countries. Data is for only five years though and it's annoying that the default view for financials is quarterly, not annual, so you have to click an extra button for every single page. But all in all I prefer it to Morningstar and Yahoo.

Morningstar's new format looked seriously f'ed up at 1st.

But after the initial shock of the format change,

& after browsing a few Morningstar profiles,

it looks like an improvement.

There are a lot more fine grained details available now.

Elements of the balance sheet, cash flow & income

statements can be expanded or shrunk with a click.

New pop up info is available on some fields.

Very few page refreshes.

Still got to get used to the way some of the data is presented

and it's probably better suited to large displays.

---

edit:

Can't select your own comps any more.

You get 2 of whatever they throw up.