"Macro" Musings

giofranchi

Just for fun, I went on Alexa.com to check out the site rank of seekingalpha.com:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/seekingalpha.com

Now it is the 326th most visited site in the US and the 901st in the world ... last time I looked at this data (last summer) it was 590th in the US.

More interesting - the demographics are changing, with the proportion of people with no college education visiting the site growing.

I leave it in each of your capable hands to figure out what this means.

Gio - thanks for the article on the EU. I agree with the sentiment - Europe is a time bomb ... however the "fancy" economic equation reminded me of my level 1 CFA exam :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gio - thanks for the article on the EU. I agree with the sentiment - Europe is a time bomb ... however the "fancy" economic equation reminded me of my level 1 CFA exam :)

I think once again Mr. Einhorn put it best citing Gertrude Stein at the end of Greenlight Capital Q1 2014 letter:

For a very long time everybody refuses and then almost without a pause almost everybody accepts.

;)

Gio

I thought I would check out this site we have alot of viewers from Romania??? Interesting.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca

Packer

According to this article How Does Alexa Track Traffic Alexa statistics are derived from visitors who have the Alexa toolbar installed.

I find such toolbars annoying but perhaps it is popular among Romanian's and those without college education?

I posted this in another thread but it might be better here.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-04-03/top-tenth-of-1-percenters-reaps-all-the-riches

http://images.bwbx.io/cms/2014-04-03/econ_onepercentchart15_630.jpg

According to this data, we are now at extreme levels of the "have" vs "have-nots."

If stocks continue to go up, that means more and more disparity (which usually leads to social unrest). We'll see how this shapes up, I suppose.

I posted this in another thread but it might be better here.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-04-03/top-tenth-of-1-percenters-reaps-all-the-riches

http://images.bwbx.io/cms/2014-04-03/econ_onepercentchart15_630.jpg

According to this data, we are now at extreme levels of the "have" vs "have-nots."

If stocks continue to go up, that means more and more disparity (which usually leads to social unrest). We'll see how this shapes up, I suppose.

one of the main advantages of democracy is that you can have bloodless revolutions. say hello to 60-80% top bracket marginal tax and 30-40% capital gain tax. I think its a good bargain vs social unrest french revolution style - "Keeping up with the Joneses" syndrome

Are the people at the society's bottom today not far better off than those in the early 1900's?

Yes, the ultra rich got super, super rich -- but are the poor's quality of life also not getting better? I'd argue it's way better.  I'm talking about access to food, clean water, medicine, and a decent shot at changing the quality of life for themselves.

Gary

Are the people at the society's bottom today not far better off than those in the early 1900's?

Yes, the ultra rich got super, super rich -- but are the poor's quality of life also not getting better? I'd argue it's way better.  I'm talking about access to food, clean water, medicine, and a decent shot at changing the quality of life for themselves.

Gary

Sure. It's way better from that point. That doesn't mean that they're won't be a major redistribution of wealth though. People see the wealthy getting wealthier and wealthier, many times that causes consequences (especially in the day of easy communication).

On another note, good times are to be had.

http://www.valuewalk.com/2014/05/overheating-london-sets-record-237-million-apartment-sale/

Will The Last Businessman To Leave France Turn Out The Lights? by Mr. Charles Gave

Gio

My only european investment is Installux which returned 50%, hmmmmmm, is this article a contrarian indicator? I really don't know much about french macro. But an article that refers to anecdotal evidence do not convince me of much. France may be going down the tubes as the article says, but the article doesn't convince me of it.

What do you think? considering you are from france?

Gary

Yes, but you are missing the point.  To the vast majority of people the reference point isn't the entire prior history of humanity, it is the rich people who have more than them right now today.  It doesn't matter if the average person in America is far better off than 99.999999% of the people who have every lived, or even if they are wealthier than 95% of the people on Earth right now, if someone else has a lot more.  It is human nature.  And it isn't only lower or middle income people who think this way, you have people on Wall Street outraged that they only got a $9M bonus this year when someone they work with got $14M.  People would rather everyone, including themselves, be far worse off and equal, than live with the fact that someone else has more.

This is further proof of what I said above.  If you read the article carefully you will notice that people say that growth is more important than equality, but what they support are government policies that impede growth in an attempt at furthering equality, such as increasing minimum wage and increasing taxes.  If you want to know what someone really believes, ignore what they say they believe and look at what they do (or want to do, in this case).

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/chinese-developers-pull-back-property-downturn-hits-economy-210416240--sector.html

Chinese developers pulling back. This is going to get interesting - especially for China's trade partners. Are we in 2007 or early 2008 in China - for comparison.

I do not expect this to become a credit issue globally - but if this gets out of hand - there will need to be a major reset about the future growth and commodity pricing, etc.

Could get interesting.

Gary

Yes...but no one compares their current position to that of their grandparent's 100 years ago. It's more likely that they compare it to their situation over past decade and it's not better for most in that frame of time. In fact, real wages have been falling for most people over that time and they've been burned by two 50% drops in the stock market and a severe drop in home prices. I'm not saying that this is the fault of the rich, but when the majority of the population is worse off then they were a decade ago, and a handful of elites are significantly better off than a decade ago, you can be damn sure the wealthy will be vilified and taxed until something evens the odds again.

It's quite funny how the ignorance of the masses works. I live in NYC and watched the Occupy Wall Street movement back in the day. I liked how the whole 1% framework came about and they'd protest the houses of bank CEOs like Dimon...but successful hedge fund managers make bank CEOs look middle class. Anybody taking home $500M-$1B a year makes Jamie Dimon look like a punk. If you're after income/wealth inequality, it's the hedge fund managers they should've been protesting and it's the hedge fund managers of the world that skew this wealth/income strata so heavily to the 1/10th of 1 percent.

Anyhow, you can be sure something will eventually get done. Politicians work for the fat cats but you can be sure that they're self-preserving as well. They'll tax the hell out of the wealthy before they let the masses remove them from their positions.

The Problem With Piketty by Mr. Charles Gave

Gio

yes good article.

Looks like he makes the same mistake a Gross at PIMCO. That is the market returns higher than GDP growth, then the rich investors must be getting richer....  But investors can exit the market and consume their proceeds without re-investing: for example, dividends and stock buybacks.