Do You Really Need This?

Parsad

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard you can avoid many more health risks by simply avoiding share buybacks and voting Republican.  Also, support the Flyers.

Sugar, tobacco, alcohol and carbs are ok.

(just thought I would contradict and piss off everyone with one swooping email).

You won't piss me off as long as you don't vote democrat either.

Remember: If you vote you can't complain.

(see tri-fold brochure attached).

--Eric

I think it is overreaching to make blanket statements like humans are not meant to run marathons, or power is more important than endurance.  I think you have to take into account the natural genetic variation between individuals.  Thousands of years ago hunter gatherers used whatever techniques worked best to find food.  Hunters on the hot Serengeti of Africa could outlast many animals in a foot chase because of humans’ ability to sweat and not overheat while giving chase.  In cooler climates, where endurance hunting would not work, it became an advantage to be more rugged (stronger and carry more fat). 

If you take a Mastiff on a marathon run, you are going to kill the dog.  By this logic, it must be a bad idea to take a dog on a marathon run.  A Husky on the other hand would be dragging you across the finish line.  The Arthur De Vany article is absolutely ridiculous.  Points 1 and 2 are not even worth mentioning; 5 and 6 refer to the same chemical.  You can prove anything by taking little bits and pieces from scientific research. 

If you want to be healthy there are only two things you need to do: eat right and stay active.  I’ve found the easiest way to eat right is make sure to eat 3 fruits and 5 vegetables every day.  The rest of your diet will take care of itself, because you won’t be hungry enough to overeat on other less nutritious foods.  An active lifestyle is all you need to stay fit.  You have to find activities that are fun to you and do them often.  Tennis, golf, basket ball, running, lifting, and my favorite rock climbing are all ways to stay active.  Exercising for exercise sake can only last so long.  You can use a program to get in shape, but an active lifestyle doing healthy activities you love several times a week is the only way to maintain it.

On topic:  I see the tentra cup as an inefficient means to get your caffeine fix.  Starbucks needs to be much more innovative and come up with a technology to directly inject their drug of choice.  I propose calling for Steve Jobs to sit on the Starbucks board for a while. :-)

In a related topic, Jack Lalanne passed away just a few days ago at the age of 96!.

The guy was the godfather of fitness.  He had pretty simple advice for eating:

If a man made it, don't eat it!  if it tastes good spit out out!

He worked out 2 hours every day at the age of 96!  Invented a number of the machines in gyms, and did crazy stunts like:

"To mark his 70th birthday, LaLanne towed a flotilla of 70 rowboats during a mile-long swim from Long Beach Harbor to the Queensway Bridge, both in Long Beach, Calif. The swim took around 2-1/2 hours, and several of the boats held passengers."

Here are some videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EdRdoEsBPo

RIP Jack!

Take a look at the bodies of track and field athletes.  Sprinters look far more healthy than long distance runners.  

I'm afraid we are now entering the realm of personal opinions: far more healthy, according to whom? Society's standard of beauty is anything but static. Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF), American Eagle Outfitters (AEO) et al made a killing between 04-08 when the bulky, masculine "country boy" look was all the rage among young male. The torch has since been passed to retailers such as Urban Outfitters (URBN) or J Crew Group (JCG) which sell close fitting shirts and slim jeans that are in vogue with the thinner urbanites.

I think you are taking this way out of context.  I wasn't talking about some advertising campaign targeted at youths or who-ever. I was talking about comparing two types of elite athletes.  Long distance runners look skinny and frail, even bony in appearance (for some you could almost say they are sick looking).  On the other hand, sprinters have well developed muscles, they look strong, fit and healthy.  It's not a subjective matter of 'according to who?', this is just the way they are.  An athletes physical stature might dictate what athletic career path to chose - but their fitness regime has a lot to do with sculpting their physical appearance.  And before it is brought up - I don't question either athletes grit and determination at all - both work tremendously hard to achieve the ultimate goal.

If you are talking about extremes, it's difficult to impute the results to average people. Sprinters look great but they destroy their knees in the process. If you want that tone and strength, a good diet, sensible cardio, and deadlift/squat intensive workouts will get you there in one piece.

Boxers look way healthier than marathon runners too, until they don't.

http://www.drmirkin.com/diabetes/9897.html

The researchers found that taking caffeine causes blood sugar and insulin levels to rise even higher after meals. If your blood sugar rises too high, sugar sticks to cells. Once sugar is stuck on a cell membrane, it cannot be released and is converted to a poison called sorbitol which destroys that cell. High levels of insulin constrict arteries to cause heart attacks and act directly on the brain to make you hungry, on your liver to make more fat, and on the fat cells in your belly to pick up that fat.

oh no, I have to give up coffee too?

I have been trying to lay off the sugar. Staying away from coffee is going to be a challenge.

Only if you're diabetic it seems.

Performing your original search, caffeine obesity, in PubMed will retrieve 307 records.

Diabetes Care. 2005 Mar;28(3):566-72.

Caffeine ingestion is associated with reductions in glucose uptake independent of obesity and type 2 diabetes before and after exercise training.

Lee S, Hudson R, Kilpatrick K, Graham TE, Ross R.

School of Physical and Health Education, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada, K7L 3N6.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: We investigated the effect of caffeine ingestion on insulin sensitivity in sedentary lean men (n = 8) and obese men with (n = 7) and without (n = 8) type 2 diabetes. We also examined whether chronic exercise influences the relationship between caffeine and insulin sensitivity in these individuals.

RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: Subjects underwent two hyperinsulinemic-euglycemic clamp procedures, caffeine (5 mg/kg body wt) and placebo, in a double-blind, randomized manner before and after a 3-month aerobic exercise program. Body composition was measured by magnetic resonance imaging.

RESULTS: At baseline, caffeine ingestion was associated with a significant reduction (P < 0.05) in insulin sensitivity by a similar magnitude in the lean (33%), obese (33%), and type 2 diabetic (37%) groups in comparison with placebo. After exercise training, caffeine ingestion was still associated with a reduction (P < 0.05) in insulin sensitivity by a similar magnitude in the lean (23%), obese (26%), and type 2 diabetic (36%) groups in comparison with placebo. Exercise was not associated with a significant increase in insulin sensitivity in either the caffeine or placebo trials, independent of group (P > 0.10).

CONCLUSIONS: Caffeine consumption is associated with a substantial reduction in insulin-mediated glucose uptake independent of obesity, type 2 diabetes, and chronic exercise.

PMID: 15735189 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]Free Article