'23-'24 hidden stock purchase ideas

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, gfp said:

He already had over 20m shares of Chubb at year-end so he will have a good gain on the position before tomorrow's 'Buffett halo' pop.

Do we know if this is a Buffett purchase? Or one of the lieutenants? Regardless, it is a vote of confidence for the P/C insurance sector. It makes sense that if Buffett wanted to play the sector he would pick someone like Chubb - one of the largest by market cap/liquidity.

I think P/C insurance falls in Berkshire Hathaway's circle of competence. Anyone have any stock recommendations for P/C insurance? Asking for a friend...

Getting a Berkshire Hathaway 'seal of approval' is just another tailwind for the P/C insurance sector.

Edited by Viking

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gfp said:

so he will have a good gain on the position

You mean *we* will have a good gain!  Like Christmas morning!

But in all seriousness which one is Chubb?  Statue of Liberty?  Flo?  Mayhem?  Maybe the emu?!

Edited by crs223

1 minute ago, crs223 said:

You mean *we* will have a good gain!  Like Christmas morning!

But in all seriousness which one is Chubb?  The gecko?  Flo?  Mayhem?  Maybe the emu!

When I worked in the Insurance Brokerage business (as a 15-17 year old), Chubb was the carrier that insured all the rich people in my town.  The ones with huge files of scheduled items and artwork.  Among other important responsibilities, I was in charge of all of the files.  Part of my duties was producing auto insurance ID cards on a typewriter.  One mistake on a VIN number and you had to start over...  The typewriter whiteout stuff made it look like the customer was trying to be shady so no whiteout allowed.

I don't know much, but think can say with reasonable confidence that technically Chubb is ACE - ACE bought Chubb in 2016, but reasonably adopted the better-known brand name.

I have just been starting to look at Arch (following a recent thread here) which on first view looks as good if not better, so it's good to have a vote of confidence for the sector.

5 hours ago, thowed said:

I don't know much, but think can say with reasonable confidence that technically Chubb is ACE - ACE bought Chubb in 2016, but reasonably adopted the better-known brand name.

I have just been starting to look at Arch (following a recent thread here) which on first view looks as good if not better, so it's good to have a vote of confidence for the sector.

That's right - this is mostly ACE Limited and ACE management runs the place (Evan Greenberg, Hank's son).  They have been very acquisitive over a long period of time.

It looks like Warren started buying it in 2023 at maybe $80 billion market cap and around 1.5x book value.  News of the Berkshire investment pushed the market cap to around $110 Billion this morning so this is one of the short list of companies that was big enough for Warren to consider.

Props to the person over at Barrons that narrowed down the list of potential candidates and guessed Chubb.  I suspected it was insurance and not banking but didn't root around too much trying to figure it out.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, gfp said:

Oh man Greenberg is is feeling the heat from this new activist showing up in his shares and he's upping the dividend on day one to keep the old man happy

https://investors.chubb.com/News--Events/news/news-details/2024/Chubb-Limited-Shareholders-Approve-31st-Consecutive-Annual-Dividend-Increase-Chubb-Limited-Board-Declares-Record-Date-for-First-Dividend-Installment/default.aspx

In 1964 Stanton made a verbal tender offer of $111⁄2 per share for the company to buy back Buffett's shares. Buffett agreed to the deal. A few weeks later Buffett received the tender offer in writing, but the tender offer was for only $113⁄8. Buffett later admitted that this lower (undercutting offer) made him angry.[2] Instead of selling at the slightly lower price, Buffett decided to buy more of the stock to take control of the company and fire Stanton.

Even after 60 years, this activist means business!

Edited by CanadianMunger