Share your Portfolio 2024

9 minutes ago, Milu said:

Any bitcoin held off exchanges on hardware wallets etc I would expect you wouldn't be covered, but I would think that the value of any bitcoin etfs held would have the exact same coverage as any other etfs. I'm not too sure what's covered by governments in the event that your brokerage account got hacked or drained. In Ireland we are covered by the EU deposit guarantee of up to 100k for bank deposits, but I don't believe brokerages fall under this.

If I look at interactive brokers website it references the following, which isn't gonna help much if you've got hundreds of thousands or millions in your portfolio.

"Certain clients of Interactive Brokers Ireland Limited are protected by the Irish Investor Compensation Scheme ("ICS").

The ICS is intended to help private individuals and does not cover institutions and professional clients. Compensation under the ICS is limited to 90% of the amount lost, subject to a maximum of €20,000 to each investor."

You are right on EU insurance limits. It is up to 500 K in US though. Good point re ETF, I actually think this is perhaps the best way to invest in Bitcoin for unsophisticated crypto investors, such as me, also because I would not even know how to hold it myself safely:))

Edited by UK

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, UK said:

You are right on EU insurance limits. It is up to 500 K in US though. Good point re ETF, I actually think this is perhaps the best way to invest in Bitcoin for unsophisticated crypto investors, such as me, also because I would not even know how to hold it myself safely:))

Ya it's hard to even know what a 'sophisticated' crypto investor is anyway. A lot of people read a book or listened to a Michael Saylor podcast interview and assume they've 'done the research' but in reality they are just speculating hoping the price will go up. I hold some bitcoin (bought in 2020) after being a skeptic for 8 years when my good friend continuously pushed on me how game changing it was going to be, if only I'd listened when he was burning my ear off in 2012 and 2013.

I was influenced quite a lot by austrian economics and have a philosophical problem with the current debt-fueled culture and continuous money printing we've had for the last 15 years. I like gold too and hold some, but strongly believe bitcoin is the continuation of gold. Both assets provide an escape valve from the system and the hope is that they will allow me to maintain purchasing power over the long term (while having some volatility in the short term). Ideally I'd have all of my portfolio in reasonably valued equities but I generally end up having a decent cash balance (30%+) and over time I'd gradually like to transition this from debt based assets like t-bills into 'harder' assets like bitcoin and gold.

23 hours ago, UK said:

Not to discourage you from spending time on your favourite topic, but please be aware of the confirmation bias. Could be a good idea of spending some time for thinking what might kill the thesis. Like the question: what if some kind of super computing (quantum?) will become awailable in the future, but only for a few organisations/countries at first? I know I asked this before, but it seems so far nobody has answered or I have missed it:)

I'm a pragmatic person the idea that at some point a quantum computer that breaks elliptic curve cryptography overnight will suddenly appear is science fiction, and not even quality science fiction.

Anyhow, Bitcoin can be forked and adapt its cryptography algorithm when the horizon presents a concrete possibility of an event like this.

We are talking about a living creature, not a dead one.

I've been in Bitcoin way before Saylor, and if you want to dig into the matter, there's a developer course by Saylor Academy which is based mostly on Antonopoulos' books.

There are also interesting history books like "The Blocksize War".

You can also check how this adaptation works by looking at the latest discussions on recent changes:

https://bitcoincore.reviews/30793?s=09

Edited by Dave86ch

On 9/24/2024 at 5:57 PM, gary17 said:

LC: what attracted you to AECOM?   Have you looked at WSP and Stantec ?

Gary

Gary - a little late and I'm sure you've figured it out, but I was confused on initial reading ~18 months ago. 

This is AECON - a Canadian construction company.

AECOM is a much larger US company.

1 hour ago, Dave86ch said:

I'm a pragmatic person the idea that at some point a quantum computer that breaks elliptic curve cryptography overnight will suddenly appear is science fiction, and not even quality science fiction.

Anyhow, Bitcoin can be forked and adapt its cryptography algorithm when the horizon presents a concrete possibility of an event like this.

We are talking about a living creature, not a dead one.

I've been in Bitcoin way before Saylor, and if you want to dig into the matter, there's a developer course by Saylor Academy which is based mostly on Antonopoulos' books.

There are also interesting history books like "The Blocksize War".

You can also check how this adaptation works by looking at the latest discussions on recent changes:

https://bitcoincore.reviews/30793?s=09

Thanks! I admit what I am saying on these maters may sound funny for more informed investors. And if I would understand it is totally safe, it would be much more attractive than gold (I think I get this part). Would you agree that buying Bitcoin ETF instead of Bitcoin directly is a better option for less educated investors willing to participate in this anyway?

21 hours ago, UK said:

Thanks! I admit what I am saying on these maters may sound funny for more informed investors. And if I would understand it is totally safe, it would be much more attractive than gold (I think I get this part). Would you agree that buying Bitcoin ETF instead of Bitcoin directly is a better option for less educated investors willing to participate in this anyway?

Understanding self-custody doesn’t require a steep learning curve—it’s absolutely approachable for the average COBF user.

When you self-custody, you own a piece of a protocol.

Portable, divisible, and verifiable.

At its core, it's the Layer 1 (L1) of an entire ecosystem. I can foresee a future where this can be utilized as collateral, generating opportunities like renting it out for various purposes.

The principle is simple: "Not your keys, not your coins." All you need is the basic version of a Trezor (or another hardware wallet) and understand the concept of a UTXO (Unspent Transaction Output), which is like the cash in your pocket. Given the volatility of fees within the L1 environment, it's often more practical to hold larger UTXOs, similar to storing value in a gold bar.

The original thesis, as proposed by Hal Finney, was that Bitcoin would serve as sound money, facilitating large, trustless, and instantaneous transactions between central banks.

On 10/5/2024 at 4:54 AM, UK said:

Would you agree that buying Bitcoin ETF instead of Bitcoin directly is a better option for less educated investors willing to participate in this anyway?

I'll respectfully disagree with Dave and answer: Yes.

Because the less educated investor has NO idea what this means:

7 hours ago, Dave86ch said:

All you need is the basic version of a Trezor (or another hardware wallet) and understand the concept of a UTXO (Unspent Transaction Output), which is like the cash in your pocket. Given the volatility of fees within the L1 environment, it's often more practical to hold larger UTXOs, similar to storing value in a gold bar.

1 hour ago, james22 said:

the less educated investor has NO idea what this means:

Ha ha - spot on.  I have a bit of KR1 as I'm lazy & like to delegate, & definitely too lazy to bother to learn what it means.

ETFs aren't perfect, but if it's for a small part of your portfolio, they should be OK most of the time (though from '08 aftershock, I still prefer Physical Replication, just can't help it).

1 hour ago, james22 said:

I'll respectfully disagree with Dave and answer: Yes.

Because the less educated investor has NO idea what this means:

Thanks!