Cryptocurrencies

rkbabang

5 minutes ago, james22 said:

“The important thing is to establish a political climate of opinion which will make it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing. Unless it is politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing, the right people will not do the right thing either”
  —Milton Friedman

Trump: Existing US BTC holdings will form the core of a strategic reserve stockpile and not be sold.

He did not promise to buy 1M BTC as rumored. Disappointing, but understandable.

Otherwise very supportive.

Eve

4 hours ago, Paarslaars said:

Nice and all but don't most of these bills just get rejected? Is this one likely to pass?

1M is 5x current US BTC holdings.

Low, but the context where politicians have to kneel down to Bitcoin to gain traction is interesting.

That said,

I didn't like this conference until now, but Snowden's speech is gold, or better said, digital gold.

9 hours ago, Paarslaars said:

Nice and all but don't most of these bills just get rejected? Is this one likely to pass?

The US (+ most of western Europe) has long kept its BTC, acquired over the years via its various security arms, as a 'off-book' strategic reserve. Ever since the Silk Road clampdown, the US has remained one of the biggest holders of BTC, and is very likely the actual owner of many a cold storage whale vault.

Bills quietly die, and business goes on as usual.

SD

9 hours ago, Paarslaars said:

I think it better reflects what Trump will end up doing by executive order.

Selfishly I would have liked to hear him say it:

Front running be damned, but it's better for the country he did not.

(Says something about his chances that he feels he didn't have to.)

10 hours ago, Paarslaars said:

Probably gets rejected, but there are presidential candidates speaking at a bitcoin conference and a bill introduced to purchase 1m BTC. Go back in time and tell the BTC community a few years ago and they would think you are completely crazy. 

52 minutes ago, Fly said:

Probably gets rejected, but there are presidential candidates speaking at a bitcoin conference and a bill introduced to purchase 1m BTC. Go back in time and tell the BTC community a few years ago and they would think you are completely crazy. 

Snowballs get bigger as they roll downhill

In 2019, people thought it was absurd to think institutions would be buying it or that countries would adopt it. Then we had MicroStrategy, Tesla, and Mass Mutual adopt it as on balance sheet asset, El Savador adopt it as legel tender, the SEC forced into approving the ETF, and now U.S. politicians falling over themselves to establish a strategic reserve and distance themselves from Bitcoin naysayers....

All of that happened in 5-years. What does the next 5 look like for Bitcoin? 

1 hour ago, Fly said:

Exactly. Seven months ago you couldn't buy an ETF.

The community (and market) was a little disappointed by the speech but with reflection they should realize how meaningful it was.

Especially once they hear from someone outside the community who tuned in to see Trump and heard (positively) about BTC for maybe the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

One reason to own a portion of your wealth in Bitcoin if you live in the U.S.

”But where do we go to get our lives back?

Can you imagine being a mom of 4 and learning on a random Tuesday in May that your bank accounts were empty? EMPTY. 

Do you understand the terror of an FBI raid? 

Who will help us? Who polices the police?”

4 hours ago, rkbabang said:

One reason to own a portion of your wealth in Bitcoin if you live in the U.S.

”But where do we go to get our lives back?

Can you imagine being a mom of 4 and learning on a random Tuesday in May that your bank accounts were empty? EMPTY. 

Do you understand the terror of an FBI raid? 

Who will help us? Who polices the police?”

+1 

I've learned that the system doesn't work or hold people accountable. Only works for the rich and powerful

1) was rear ended by an uninsured driver from behind. I had to pay rentals and my insurance deductible. Never saw a penny from the driver at fault even after getting a judgment to cover the out of pocket expenses 

2) had a landlord steal $5k deposit. Never saw a penny after getting a judgment. Paid sheriff's to collwct and they simply asked him nicely for the money 🙄. Eventually gave the claim to collections and never saw a cent

3) had my girlfriend's parked car totalled in the apartment garage by a drunk driver. We found the car with damage in the correct spot, paint transfers matching the vehicles, and an empty bottle of tequila in the front seat. Sent photos to the cops. They didn't do anything - not even question the guy or pull the footage from the garage cameras.  GF now has a new car note and higher insurance as a result. 

4) my condo building had a fire in November which ruined the rooftop, and subsequently my condo unit occupying the two floors beneath. Everyone is in agreement that this is the building's insurance responsibility. Here we are in August (8 months later!) and work just started for replacing the roof. For the last 8 months nothing was done, my condo would flood every time it rained, and the building owner and management company who have been bungling this from day 1 offered no relocation assistance nor ever demo'd the unit to prevent mold. Now the unit has mold throughout and the neighbors beneath have been dealing with increasing amounts of water damage from flooding through my floor. 

Lawyers I hired agreed it was clearly a breach of contract, came up with some grand legal plan to file suit against building owner and management company, took my 4k retainer, and then advised I not move forward with the suit as I wouldn't win enough to cover the legal fees 🙄

The system doesn't work for normal people. And god forbid you find yourself on the wrong side of it without the means to fight

Edited by TwoCitiesCapital

12 hours ago, TwoCitiesCapital said:

+1 

I've learned that the system doesn't work or hold people accountable. Only works for the rich and powerful

1) was rear ended by an uninsured driver from behind. I had to pay rentals and my insurance deductible. Never saw a penny from the driver at fault even after getting a judgment to cover the out of pocket expenses 

2) had a landlord steal $5k deposit. Never saw a penny after getting a judgment. Paid sheriff's to collwct and they simply asked him nicely for the money 🙄. Eventually gave the claim to collections and never saw a cent

3) had my girlfriend's parked car totalled in the apartment garage by a drunk driver. We found the car with damage in the correct spot, paint transfers matching the vehicles, and an empty bottle of tequila in the front seat. Sent photos to the cops. They didn't do anything - not even question the guy or pull the footage from the garage cameras.  GF now has a new car note and higher insurance as a result. 

4) my condo building had a fire in November which ruined the rooftop, and subsequently my condo unit occupying the two floors beneath. Everyone is in agreement that this is the building's insurance responsibility. Here we are in August (8 months later!) and work just started for replacing the roof. For the last 8 months nothing was done, my condo would flood every time it rained, and the building owner and management company who have been bungling this from day 1 offered no relocation assistance nor ever demo'd the unit to prevent mold. Now the unit has mold throughout and the neighbors beneath have been dealing with increasing amounts of water damage from flooding through my floor. 

Lawyers I hired agreed it was clearly a breach of contract, came up with some grand legal plan to file suit against building owner and management company, took my 4k retainer, and then advised I not move forward with the suit as I wouldn't win enough to cover the legal fees 🙄

The system doesn't work for normal people. And god forbid you find yourself on the wrong side of it without the means to fight

People would think it crazy if you suggested that government control all food production and distribution. Everyone knows that they can’t efficiently manage mail delivery or Amtrak. But people think somehow government is the best institution to manage important things like the justice system and the education of children.  And can’t believe it when they discover that these institutions only really serve the wealthy and/or powerful. 

15 hours ago, TwoCitiesCapital said:

+1 

I'm from Switzerland, and things are heading in the same direction.

Edited by Dave86ch