100 to 1 In The Stock Market - Thomas W. Phelps

John Hjorth

I ordered this book at www.amazon.de about a week ago, today it got delivered as paperback from a physical adress in Italy [only this paperback version available as of now].

It's a reprint of the book by Mr. Phelps released many years ago [right now, not clear to me, when], released in November 2014. A dinosaur, but I'm looking forward to the read anyway.

I read it a while ago, & don't remember it that well, but I know I enjoyed it. 

Of course some stuff it's dated, but ultimately I suppose I see it as the roots of the Chuck Akre etc. quality growth philosophy.  I suspect it's better than the Chris Mayer book that was inspired by it.

Thank you for sharing, @thowed,

Just by reading the preface of this edition, I got exactly that perception, thank you.

There is to me no way I can see my self investing like Mr. Mayer as of now. [I know the composition of his portfolio]. I would not get much sleep doing so - perhaps / perhaps not like him]. It is about being an old bugger, with no time left to permanently loosing capital going forward.

Still, an old dog can learn new tricks along the way. It's all about position sizing here. Please don't try to tell me that it can't be taught, because I'm a firm believer in that anything in this space can be taught [, including : taught by practice], based on the right personal attitude towards the challenge for the pupil / apprentice in the actual situation.

Edited by John Hjorth

Fantastic book, worth reading several times keeping in mind when it was written.

My copy is full of earmarks. While reading I thought several times "this is something that Buffett/Akre would say".

Phelp's style is also enjoyable, you'll not get bored. it's a fast read with some thought-provoking nuggets of wisdom.

G

Thank you for sharing your view on the book, @giulio.

Yes, as already mentioned by you, it's a reprint dated November 2014 in the Publisher's Note [first thing in the book] by Marchall Glickman, which among other things is about the original book being subject to scalping/speculation/mania [<-?] on amazon.com back then available as used / second hand item at USD 683 [<- !], mentioning it specific being the purpose for its reprint.

That is  to me an honorable and good deed.

I'll echo what others have said that having read both this and 100 baggers, both are worth a read and this is the better of the two books.  Along this line of buying compounders and holding for a very long time, a couple of books with similar strategy that are good reads are The Davis Dynasty (the patriarch was a bureaucrat at the state insurance commission and later got rich investing in insurance companies and holding for decades), and the Phil Fisher books (I believe that he held Motorola for decades and it was a huge part of his portfolio).  

• Parsad changed the title to 100 to 1 In The Stock Market - Thomas W. Phelps