iPhone 11 Updated to iOS 16 and Now Refuses to Charge

DooDiligence

I've tried multiple OEM cables (both USB A and C), and cubes (5w and 20w), and also tried connecting to my MacBook Pro M1.

Nothing. No lights, no sounds, nothing. I feel like Steve Jobs would've had someone pilloried for this. Contacted support and escalated to a complaint. Also sent feedback. I expect to hear back from them some time after the polar ice caps melt.

I've been without a phone for a week now and it's kind of liberating. It hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. There have been a handful of occasions where I was inconvenienced but whatever. My iPad Pro is now my phone.

image.jpeg.b53bc85e1d9c756b5f480ecaee621dd5.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gfp said:

You tried wireless Qi pad charging also?

Good suggestion but no, unfortunately I don't have one.

I think I'm going to just go phone-less for a while.

Started researching the Pixel and Samsung offerings. If Apple can't resolve this, I will most definitely not replace with another iPhone.

Edited by DooDiligence

you should be able to get a wireless charger cheap. not sure why this isn't your preferred solution?

most likely your charging port needs to be cleaned or replaced and the update is just coincidental. I have a 10xs and the charging port is failing.

17 minutes ago, KCLarkin said:

you should be able to get a wireless charger cheap. not sure why this isn't your preferred solution?

most likely your charging port needs to be cleaned or replaced and the update is just coincidental. I have a 10xs and the charging port is failing.

Checked the lightning port and removed a small bit of lint with a toothpick. It didn't help.

My preferred solution involves zero cash outlay. I'm a principled idiot and right or wrong, don't believe this is a coincidence.

I do enjoy working cross platform(s) and use most of the native iOS/OSX apps (Pages, Numbers, iCal, Notes, etc.) I won't ditch the MacBook mainly because I prefer Logic Pro over all the other digital audio workstations. It's seriously not that much of an inconvenience and there seems to be some legit options. As a Google shareholder I'd be ok with buying a Pixel (if the following link proves to be true).

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7129740?hl=en

Edited by DooDiligence

20 minutes ago, rkbabang said:

Have you brought it to an Apple store to see if they could look at it for you?   I've still got an iPhone 10 and I've had no problem with ios 16

The nearest Apple store is either in Metairie or Tallahassee (3 1/2 hours either way). Apple pointed me to BestBuy and I went in yesterday after class. BestBuy pointed me back to Apple to get a CS code for them to look at it.

I'm actually interested in seeing what happens if I step out of the walled garden with a different mobile device. The major impact that I see would be photo sync. Other than that, I don't see a problem with Pages and Numbers documents since most of my work is done on the Mac or iPad. There might be some changes WRT calendar and reminders which I primarily use on mobile but rarely on the other 2 platforms. I've gotten pretty comfortable with being able to access desktop documents via mobile (this has been a useful but rare occurrence).

I know I'm probably just being stubborn but hey, something breaks and you find a new way to work that frequently produces better results.

On another note, a friend of mine has a newer Samsung (can't remember which), and he took a photo of the moon which produced absolutely stunning detail. No tripod or other stabilizing hardware. I took a photo of the same moon with my iPhone and it looked like crap. Not knocking iPhone photo and video quality for general purposes and I know you can only take so many photos of the moon but damn.

Charging has nothing to do with the operating system update. Since you swapped the cable, it’s probably an issue with your phone plug having problems to make the electrical contact. I would bring it to the Apple Store.

I have an iPhone XR on iOS 16 and my son has an 8+ that still works as well.

4 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

Charging has nothing to do with the operating system update. Since you swapped the cable, it’s probably an issue with your phone plug having problems to make the electrical contact. I would bring it to the Apple Store.

I have an iPhone XR on iOS 16 and my son has an 8+ that still works as well.

I had an iPhone 6 that lasted more than 5 years before upgrading to the 11.

I'm waiting to hear from Apple regarding an approval code to get BestBuy to look at it.

Until then, I'm fine going phone-less.

Went out with friends last night and tonight and managed to find much more productive things to do with my face and hands than just randomly finger banging a phone and staring at nothing.

Edited by DooDiligence

I gotta complain too. I bought an iPhone 13 Pro when it came out and it wasn’t good enough so I returned it and went back to my iPhone 8 Plus. 

My iPhone 8 Plus finally started to fail so I bought the iPhone 14 Pro Max and it has all kinds of glitches. Not to mention I spent about 8 hours with AT&T and apple to get my e-sim to work. I feel like I should send them a bill. 

Glitches: 

- When I’m on a call with the phone at my ear, all the notifications go off at full volume right into my ear. It’s horrible. Apparently there is no fix for this. 

- frequently the phone is slow. 1-3 second delay when tapping things.
- airdrop frequently doesn’t work or even show up. 
- lots of the fancy shapes for notifications show up square shaped and with delays. 

iPhone software seems to be declining and it really sucks. iPhone hardware is good and the new M1 & M2 Macs are phenomenal too. 

The new OSX Ventura is lame as well. It seems like they're just making UI changes to no good purpose. Best example is the new System Setting screen. It used to be a box with icons for each of the different sections. It was very easy to navigate in addition to being reasonably esthetically pleasing. Now it's a vertically oriented shitbox that extends past the bottom of the screen and makes it more difficult to find what you need. It's like when you come home and your girlfriend has rearranged the furniture but there's nothing new and now you keep stubbing your toe on the sectional.

Apparently nobody at Apple has read Steve Krug's "Don't Make Me Think"

Agreed. Apple has definitely made changes seemingly just for the sake of it. Change is necessary over time, but it’d be nice if there was some relatively clear benefit for it. I think part of it is to say they have made 450 changes vs 200 changes.