China

Viking

6 hours ago, Luca said:

He is not a communist advocate, but you can't deny several observations Karl Marx did. 

Being a professor is an important job in our societies, and he certainly provides a lot of value too, nothing about being a parasite. 

Karl Marx was the ultimate parasite - lived on money that Engels gave him by exploiting his workers.   Karl Marx denied the role of incentives and human nature.  His taught incitement, his followers murdered more people than Hitler.  It boggles the mind that Nazis are universally reviled and communists are celebrated by intellectuals.

14 minutes ago, Dinar said:

Karl Marx was the ultimate parasite - lived on money that Engels gave him by exploiting his workers.   Karl Marx denied the role of incentives and human nature.  His taught incitement, his followers murdered more people than Hitler.  It boggles the mind that Nazis are universally reviled and communists are celebrated by intellectuals.

If you would have listened to the interview, he talks about exactly that at minute 50:00. The problem with today's left, wrong focus of the problem, china and milton friedman etc 🙂

He also didnt celebrate Marx, but he pointed things out that marx already talked about, which are a correct assesment of the current economic situation. 

54 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

Yup...the biggest grift in America right now is the guys getting paid 6 figures with amazing benefits and complete job security to drink craft beers and teach/hit on young adults 4 hours a day, 3 days a week. 

I dont know about the situation in the US but professors in the EU are suffering shitbags, slaves during exhaustive PHDs, tons of debt, bad pay compared to efforts, hard to become tenured, hard to get funding, publication pressure etc

The professors i know dont make bank, work hard and are an asset to the country. 

Maybe a tiny percentage of gender professors do weird things but its super hard to get to these positions too. 

4 minutes ago, Luca said:

I dont know about the situation in the US but professors in the EU are suffering shitbags, slaves during exhaustive PHDs, tons of debt, bad pay compared to efforts, hard to become tenured, hard to get funding, publication pressure etc

The professors i know dont make bank, work hard and are an asset to the country. 

Maybe a tiny percentage of gender professors do weird things but its super hard to get to these positions too. 

Yea, not here....Here even high school teachers get great benefits, job security, and time adjusted pay....they whine, but leave out they get off weeks for the winter, months for the summer, spring break, and all the other typicals. But the private school ones along with college/university...especially in the grad schools, are where you find the real enemies of the people. 

20 minutes ago, Luca said:

If you would have listened to the interview, he talks about exactly that at minute 50:00. The problem with today's left, wrong focus of the problem, china and milton friedman etc 🙂

He also didnt celebrate Marx, but he pointed things out that marx already talked about, which are a correct assesment of the current economic situation. 

I don't listen to those who call capitalists parasites.  I have seen that movie before, it is a call to mass murder.

5 minutes ago, Dinar said:

I don't listen to those who call capitalists parasites.  I have seen that movie before, it is a call to mass murder.

Within reason, yes I agree with you. Where I differ is when you get these scumbag types who have more than enough for themselves to be comfortable already, yet continue to worship money and take advantage of others for more. Theyre definitely parasites

2 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Yup...the biggest grift in America right now is the guys getting paid 6 figures with amazing benefits and complete job security to drink craft beers and teach/hit on young adults 4 hours a day, 3 days a week. 

I completely disagree. I regard the academic career path as brutal. It's low pay, unstable (until it becomes gloriously so for the minority who make tenure track), political, and just generally shitty.

To become one of those people getting paid an okay amount takes 7,10,15,20 years of PhD, adjunct, assistant, etc. I don't envy people in academia at all and do not regard it to be a grift. if anything, people chasing the dream of becoming a professor are the ones being grifted....The people I know who are trying to / have gotten there work harder for far less pay than people in corporate / tech / finance / medicine.

do you know anyone in their 20's / 30's that's tried/is trying to become a professor? 

Edited by thepupil

23 minutes ago, thepupil said:

I completely disagree. I regard the academic career path as brutal. It's low pay, unstable (until it becomes gloriously so for the minority who make tenure track), political, and just generally shitty.

To become one of those people getting paid an okay amount takes 7,10,15,20 years of PhD, adjunct, assistant, etc. I don't envy people in academia at all and do not regard it to be a grift. if anything, people chasing the dream of becoming a professor are the ones being grifted....The people I know who are trying to / have gotten there work harder for far less pay than people in corporate / tech / finance / medicine.

do you know anyone in their 20's / 30's that's tried/is trying to become a professor? 

It's a complete grift. The teaching assistants do most of the work. 

The hard sciences are the best of the bunch. The soft sciences & humanities are the worst.

Once you have tenure, all you have to do is keep your politics straight - and you'r e golden.

Many universities are a cesspool of bloated staffs that drive tuition way beyond inflation.

The administration personal growth are out of control - and those are easy and useless degrees.

Edited by cubsfan

21 minutes ago, thepupil said:

you know anyone in their 20's / 30's that's tried/is trying to become a professor? 

Yes. 20/30s isn’t sunshine and unicorns but once you get your 7-10 years in I don’t think I could find better or easier all around jobs. The mid 40s gal who teaches 1st grade at my sons school makes $130k a year…

And the thing is too, the 20/30 crowd it often not the crowd put through rigorous training and academics…but the state schoolers and party animals. 

This isn’t an “I hate teachers” declaration by any means, but there’s little question in my mind that between the low barriers to entry, high level of political gatekeepers, and an overall entrenchment within the “public funding” sphere…ugh…yuck.

^^^ We love teachers. I owe a lot to them. What we are seeing now is not academics - but soft jobs, ridiculous tuitions driven by useless administration staffing, and inability to get rid of bad teachers.

That is disaster for education in America.

What company do you know of that can survive not firing people that don't perform well?

I attended a meeting in Chicago 10 years ago re: education.  The stats that were discussed: the Chicago Public Schools, the 2nd largest and highest paid big city teachers in America - fired

4 people that year - 4 out of 20,000.

For instance, my friends father in law, was a high school principal in NYC til he turned 60 and retired. In his 20/30s he did tons of camping and RVing in the summers, a lifestyle he enjoyed living and one made possible by all the time off teachers get. He boasted about having to be thrifty early on, but his quality of life was definitely acceptable. By his 50s he had several homes and was financially thriving. He’s currently in his 90s and still collecting 6 figures a year from the tax payers JUST from the pension!

Edited by Gregmal

20 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

For instance, my friends father in law, was a high school principal in NYC til he turned 60 and retired. In his 20/30s he did tons of camping and RVing in the summers, a lifestyle he enjoyed living and one made possible by all the time off teachers get. He boasted about having to be thrifty early on, but his quality of life was definitely acceptable. By his 50s he had several homes and was financially thriving. He’s currently in his 90s and still collecting 6 figures a year from the tax payers JUST from the pension!

Those guys are from the previous generations and indeed had much better times and prospects. But the times have changed and the liberalization at universities really lead to what @thepupil described. The suicide rate for PHD students is by a large factor higher than to the already higher rate for normal students compared to non studying peers in the same age group. A phd is a race to the bottom and really badly paid. In my opinion you must hate yourself to a degree to put up with it. For the few who attain the PHD and then go into university, i think they deserve a high salary and good working conditions considering they did almost 10 years of high level studying. 

Of course that is likely different for literature and arts where i do understand that some things are questionable. 

But anything science related is a tough nut. 

3 hours ago, Dinar said:

He differentiates between industrial capitalists and financial capitalists. Private equity who buys up apartments, lobbies the government for rent liberalization and then squeezes working class families with high rents are parasites. People who abuse their workers, prevent unionization etc are parasites. 

Not ALL capitalists are parasites and he never said that. But there are some folks that do only harm in this system and thats whats important to point out. 

The more important point is: The left is lost in fights that benefit the financial type of capitalists, gender equality, diversity etc. Even if they focus on economic abuse they forget the most important thing: HOW do people get rich and HOW do societies get wealthy? And how can we politically use that knowledge to increase the wealth for our societies? 

The way he framed china seeing this is, that china allowed the western market mechanism and benefitted of it but also received the bad parts of the west, high inequality, monopolization, overleveraged gamblers that do no good (real estate developers hello) etc. 

Its now for them to decide what kind of ways are endorsed to get rich and which ways are not endorsed or even regulated. 

Edited by Luca

I can absolutely not understand how people think Xi wants a Stalinist communism while he travels far to the US to talk with CEOs etc for investment, leaves a wide room for private economy etc. But the state will play a bigger role than it does in the west from now on and i think people see that too negative because the fordist type economies also had way more growth than the kind of deindustrialized neoliberal service economies in the west. 

Edited by Luca

12 minutes ago, Luca said:

Those guys are from the previous generations and indeed had much better times and prospects. But the times have changed and the liberalization at universities really lead to what @thepupil described. The suicide rate for PHD students is by a large factor higher than to the already higher rate for normal students compared to non studying peers in the same age group. A phd is a race to the bottom and really badly paid. In my opinion you must hate yourself to a degree to put up with it. For the few who attain the PHD and then go into university, i think they deserve a high salary and good working conditions considering they did almost 10 years of high level studying. 

Of course that is likely different for literature and arts where i do understand that some things are questionable. 

But anything science related is a tough nut. 

It's a race to the bottom because you are NOT firing those overpaid non performers. The teaching assistants do all the work - and you can't rid of dead wood, so they can move up. The definition of entitlement and protection.

3 hours ago, thepupil said:

That's just not true.  I know a bunch of people who at 22 went into graduate school, and at 27-28 were working as professors, with $170-$250K salaries, some with subsidized housing (2 bedroom for $2k per month in West Village of Manhattan where market price was $8k), 30K+ per year research budget that you could use for travel to conferences in Maui or Italy, and yes, teaching load of 6-10 hours per week, 12 weeks a year.  Oh, and let's not forget university will pay college tuition of their kids if they go to that school, or 50% if they go to another university.  

1 minute ago, Dinar said:

That's just not true.  I know a bunch of people who at 22 went into graduate school, and at 27-28 were working as professors, with $170-$250K salaries, some with subsidized housing (2 bedroom for $2k per month in West Village of Manhattan where market price was $8k), 30K+ per year research budget that you could use for travel to conferences in Maui or Italy, and yes, teaching load of 6-10 hours per week, 12 weeks a year.  Oh, and let's not forget university will pay college tuition of their kids if they go to that school, or 50% if they go to another university.  

you must know more successful aspiring academics than i do. 

to me it seems like an almost reward-less grind pursued out of passion / desire for prestige rather than $$$ or work/life balance. 

17 minutes ago, thepupil said:

to me it seems like an almost reward-less grind pursued out of passion / desire for prestige rather than $$$ or work/life balance. 

I did a Phd, so I know a bunch of people in my class, the year or two before and the year or two after.  A distant relative just got a job as a computer science professor at NYU.  

30 minutes ago, thepupil said:

my reference points are people i went to undergrad w/ who graduated in 2009 and 2011

2009 Guy Magna Cum Laude, Engineering, Top 10 University

2013 PhD Civil Engineering, top 10 school

2014 - Present Associate Professor @ Large midwest university

the average associate professor at this school, with his years of experience makes $90K. 

I made more than that in my first year after college. I have no idea in what world this dude is "grifting". 

2011 girl, liberal arts top 10 university

2011-2013 teach for america

2014 - 2020 PhD, top 10 university

2020- 2023 postdoc same school

2023- present visiting assistant professor in rural new england at liberal arts college

google tells me a "visting assistant professor" at this school makes $70K

these are my direct touch points. people who graduated 13-15 years ago from a top 10 undergrad, who i doubt have hit $100K yet. 

my wife is in field w/ PhD's, she has one. the academic route pays far less and works harder than the non-academic route. she made like $20-$25K as a funded PhD for 5-6 years, $40K as postdoc (another 2 years). that's 7-8 years of post undergrad indentured servitude.

if she went academic route she'd be making $90K in an expensive metro....like where's the grift? it's a grift by the institutions. they utilize like 10 eyars of free labor from the PhD's/ 

I

Edited by thepupil

30 minutes ago, Dinar said:

You make it sound so easy. You need a 3 years bachelors, 2 years masters, and a Phd takes a minimum of 5 years where i live. 

Thats a total of 10 years full time hardcore studying. Then you have to consider that more than 50% take longer for either bachelors or masters. So maybe you are done with 30 after going through the grinder. 

Meanwhile the trade school guys already have a house, kids, fat portfolio etc while you were in school studying your ass off. 

Weren't you the one who said you are not rich with 10m in your account? How the hell are these guys living on 170k-250k after having studied for a decade+? 

Edited by Luca

11 minutes ago, Dinar said:

I did a Phd, so I know a bunch of people in my class, the year or two before and the year or two after.  A distant relative just got a job as a computer science professor at NYU.  

Was your phd such a freebie and what do you consider as a "fair salary" for someone with a phd? 

11 minutes ago, thepupil said:

my reference points are people i went to undergrad w/ who graduated in 2009 and 2011

2009 Guy Magna Cum Laude, Engineering, Top 10 University

2013 PhD Civil Engineering, top 10 school

2014 - Present Associate Professor @ Large midwest university

the average associate professor at this school, with his years of experience makes $90K. 

I made more than that in my first year after college. I have no idea in what world this dude is "grifting". 

2011 girl, liberal arts top 10 university

2011-2013 teach for america

2014 - 2020 PhD, top 10 university

2020- 2023 postdoc same school

2023- present visiting assistant professor in rural new england at liberal arts college

google tells me a "visting assistant professor" at this school makes $70K

these are my direct touch points. people who graduated 13-15 years ago from a top 10 undergrad, who i doubt have hit $100K yet. 

my wife is in field w/ PhD's, she has one. the academic route pays far less and works harder than the non-academic route. 

I

Exactly.

I have no idea where dinar has his numbers coming from, a basic google search shows you reality. 

YES, after being at uni for a decade as assistant professor and if a spot opens up you can MAYBE go high 100k but still. 

image.thumb.png.6e89ee2173f3bd331b931ae0dd971375.png

Average Salary of public professor with PHD: 150k. 

No way he can survive on that with all the vacations, house, good school for kids etc. what dinar always preaches @Dinar

Edited by Luca