Kyle Bass - Investor Letter: "The Quiet Panic in Hong Kong."

Golden Geezer

Didn't he also say that Japan was a "time bomb" and that JGBs were all but certain to imminently default a decade ago? He's the Elaine Garzarelli of this generation.

Was it JGBs? I feel like I recall him saying that the pressure wouldn't play out in the bonds because the central bank wouldn't let it. I think he said the pressure relief valve would be found in the currency and that shorting the currency would be the play. Depending on when he said it, he was right.

Bass regularly makes wild and spectacular claims(in dramatic fashion) that when they play out leave everyone thinking "wow, this guy is a genius", and when they dont are quickly forgotten. Its a unique marketing strategy but as has been alluded to, I am not sure how much money he is actually making.

Ditto to Stahleyp and greg. Bass is always interesting to listen to (and sounds super smart) but it seems like he was right "once in a row" on the housing downturn. I'm kind of surpised he even has outside money still considering most (maybe all) of his big calls since have not played out.