If you use Google Finance, now might be the time to...

Liberty

I found one way to get back to the old google finance site:

- go to google.com, search google finance

- in the search results, click on the "Portfolio" link.

- on the portfolio page, click on "google finance" on the top left corner.

that brought me back to the old google finance site.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I couldn’t find the link in the 3rd step, is it gone?

RIP Gfinance

I couldn’t find the link in the 3rd step, is it gone?

RIP Gfinance

No longer works for me this morning.

Guess I will stop using google finance now

Can someone explain why Google thought it was a good idea to make a worse product than the existing one? The new system you can't even get annual comparison tables (just quarterly) like before.

Have they lost some marbles?

My guess is the new system will trigger more activities: user will type in tickers and search things. . More activities mean more data can be monetarized. They are probably not making money in the old version.

Can someone explain why Google thought it was a good idea to make a worse product than the existing one? The new system you can't even get annual comparison tables (just quarterly) like before.

My guess is the new system will trigger more activities: user will type in tickers and search things. . More activities mean more data can be monetarized. They are probably not making money in the old version.

I think they came out and said that the new site should generate more ad revenue. I'm guessing that in there is the assumption that their user base will stay the same. BIG ASSUMPTION.

They basically stopped developing the old version in 2009 or something like that. If they had kept at it, they could OWN this area of financial data and no doubt could monetize it better. But also, Google doesn't have to make money on everything in its ecosystem if it makes it stickier. For example, are they making money on Gmail? Probably not much, but it certainly helps you stick to the Google ecosystem. Same could be said for Google Finance.

I'm apologize in advance if I upset some of you fine people with this post.

Why do you guys mess with around with all these apps when you can just use Excel. We're doing serious work here and that's a professional tool. When a mechanic works on an engine he doesn't use the light or pretty tool or the fancy tool. He uses the professional tool that gets the job done right. Why is this stuff any different.

On this thread people are freaking out because google will discontinue this functionality or the other. You don't have that with the professional tools (Excel). Nobody worries that their vlookups are gonna stop working tomorrow. So let's get serious about this stuff and use proper tools.

One day I'm going to go to the Berkshire Annual meeting and ask Warren Buffett why he doesn't use screeners or Bloomberg which i think is kind of idiotic. I'll say something like: Hey Warren, stop all this amateurish stuff. When are you going to get serious about this value investing thing :)

Web has a Bloomberg terminal!

Thanks. It worked for me yesterday, but not today.

Yahoo Finance and probably a slew of other sites provide the same information, or similar (if not more), but the Google Finance page was so clean (per the company style) that it was always pleasant to use. 

Sigh.

The change is also why - I assume - why some (including myself) are hesitant to fully by in to the google led eco systems.

I've switched to investing.com.

I'm not sure what other features they have, but I was only using Google Finance to track a list of tickers I was following, and investing.com has a portfolio feature that lets me do the same thing.

Mine finally was changed - what a completely useless update. I guess I'll find a different service to use.

Give Rocket a try for tracking portfolios and watch lists: http://www.rocketfinancial.com

In addition to the portfolio tracker it has a ton of other features that you might find useful like detailed financials, SEC filings, email alerts, a stock screener, institutional holdings, etc.

I checked out rocket.  Seems pretty neat.

It's great for a lot of things, and the new dashboard has the potential to be good to keep an eye on a watchlist (I know it's new and they're still adding features).

There is a bug in the watchlist, I put on 8 stocks and only 6 shows up...