If you use Google Finance, now might be the time to...

Liberty

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it seems to be working again.

It's been going in and out the past few days. Hopefully they just leave it on in parallel with the new thing, and over time do some maintenance on it to keep it going (HTML5 charts would be the obvious thing to make it more future-proof).

• 4 weeks later...

I was starting to think that maybe they had had second thoughts about this bad decision, but now there's a new notice again on Google Finance:

Google Finance has been renovated. As a part of this process, the Portfolios feature will be taken down soon. You can continue to follow stocks in the new Google Finance. Initially up to 50 stocks were migrated from your portfolio list, and soon you’ll be able to add stocks from your portfolio to the new Google Finance. You can also download your full portfolio in csv format, which can be imported into other portfolio services during the transition period.

This is so stupid. Let's take down a working product that millions use, and replace it with something that doesn't do the same thing at all.

I'm apologize in advance if I upset some of you fine people with this post.

Why do you guys mess with around with all these apps when you can just use Excel. We're doing serious work here and that's a professional tool. When a mechanic works on an engine he doesn't use the light or pretty tool or the fancy tool. He uses the professional tool that gets the job done right. Why is this stuff any different.

On this thread people are freaking out because google will discontinue this functionality or the other. You don't have that with the professional tools (Excel). Nobody worries that their vlookups are gonna stop working tomorrow. So let's get serious about this stuff and use proper tools.

One day I'm going to go to the Berkshire Annual meeting and ask Warren Buffett why he doesn't use screeners or Bloomberg which i think is kind of idiotic. I'll say something like: Hey Warren, stop all this amateurish stuff. When are you going to get serious about this value investing thing :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just launched Dashboard -- a powerful, auto-updating portfolio tracker with integrated real-time quotes, news, SEC filings, and fundamental data.  Currently supports US and Canada, with additional markets to follow. http://www.rocketfinancial.com/LoadDashboard.aspx

That support for Canadian markets is weak. Unless they file in the U.S. it just shows the name with a chart for the share price.

http://www.rocketfinancial.com/Charts.aspx?fID=356947&r=3650&t=1

Just launched Dashboard -- a powerful, auto-updating portfolio tracker with integrated real-time quotes, news, SEC filings, and fundamental data.  Currently supports US and Canada, with additional markets to follow. http://www.rocketfinancial.com/LoadDashboard.aspx

That support for Canadian markets is weak. Unless they file in the U.S. it just shows the name with a chart for the share price.

http://www.rocketfinancial.com/Charts.aspx?fID=356947&r=3650&t=1

More support for the Canadian market is coming, it's a new feature that isn't entirely implemented yet afaik.

More support for the Canadian market is coming, it's a new feature that isn't entirely implemented yet afaik.

I don't know. I replied to the tweet and asked if support for Canadian companies will expand beyond the share price. The reply asked "what I'm looking for". ...........something other than the share price.

• 1 month later...

With the new layout, google sounds like their vision is to enter into the bloomberg.com space, instead of just being a portfolio viewer. They already won the war with yahoo.

Bloomberg does provide a watchlist, but people use the website bloomberg.com mainly for their news content.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what Google is up to.  I am a Google and Android fan.  I use a lot of Google's suite of products.  They are an amazing company...

But, they went from a pretty good Finance Site, to a MICKEY MOUSE site.  It is so bad, I have been going back to Yahoo Finance, and Morningstar for some quick basic stuff.

The new website is worse than a roll of Wet Toilet Paper.  Try to wipe yourself with that!

Booo  Google FINANCE!!!!