how many people here have cut the cable cord?

Guest 50centdollars

Guest 50centdollars

Just curious to know if anyone here got rid of there cable recently. I got rid of mine 6 months ago and I'm pissed at myself for not doing it sooner. I purchased mygica from Best Buy and just stream everything now. I told friends and family members about my experience and a lot of them are cutting the cord. Who thinks cable TV will be dead in say 20 years?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest notorious546

i have since january. i don't watch sports much and can stream most things i want or purchase them from the google play store to watch when i want. but even more than those two reason i've been attempting to read and study more. writing cfa level 3 this upcoming june.

Cut the cord about 1 year ago.  Wife and I really enjoy the no-advertisement part of watching Netflix.  I do miss ESPN and the sports from time to time.  Initially it wasn't the cost of the cable as much as Time Warner thinking that they still have pricing power and jerked us around.  Our bill would fluctuate by more than $15 a month without any explanation.  The taxes and fees alone were 2-3x of Netflix.  We said enough is enough.  Now we get mail to beg us to come back to cable.  At $8/month, I don't think we'll ever go back to cable TV. 

What's the deal with Netflix Blue Ray?  Do they provide the latest releases?  If Netflix streaming has a fault, it's that there are no new release like the Netflix DVD. 

Guest Schwab711

The way the question was framed pretty much guarantees confirmation bias. I'm in the prime demographic for cord cutting (and have myself ~3 years ago), but at the same time I have at least a half dozen friends (couples) that are excited to get cable/hbo for the first time since buying a house and a lot of other friends that never stopped getting cable. I agree that the industry is currently in decline and is probably going to change but the internet acts like more of an anchor than it gets credit for. Internet prices continue to increase and cable continues to decrease. Eventually, I see the bundle holding out for some time and media companies seeing their pie decreased unless new distribution for reliable internet comes to fruition (Google). I think the time of tethering being an economical option is behind us (now that grandfathered plans have been nearly eliminated) so unless there is significant government spending on wifi I think there is a good chance the value will be with the ISPs relative to the content providers. Each year, a larger % of media consumption is with re-runs or old content. Profits may increase for content producers but they seem positioned to become royalty companies (not necessarily a bad thing but I don't see much revenue growth).

Never had cable for TV, though I have it for the internet (ISP is Teksavvy).

Keep in mind that this forum is extremely not representative of people in general (we're all INTJs for crissake), so you might want to be careful about extrapolating from it.

Most people I know have cable and probably watch multiple hours of it per day. Especially bad for those who are into sports (mostly Hockey around here).

We're going down this road now.

I'm looking at possibly Roku with Netflix. Most major networks in North America air their shows online now. And really, my wife and I only have a couple of shows we like to watch.

We're bundled, so we may just cut the home phone since we both have cell phones and something like Teksavvy for internet.

We're looking at going from $230 a month bundled to about $40 for internet and $8 for Netflix. The only thing I'll miss is MLB.com. It's subscription based online and I'm not sure I can bring myself to pay for it.

Then I'll look at a VPN or proxy for all the U.S. based streams the CRTC doesn't want me to see.  ;D

Guest 50centdollars

But why even get Netflix? I bought mygica which uses a program called XMBC and I can watch any movie or show ever made for a one time fee of $90. I would never get netflix. A lot of my friends had cable until I told them that you can stream everything for free and they immediately cut the cable. Even my aunt and uncle who are 60 cut the cable.

Guest 50centdollars

But why even get Netflix?

Because I had no idea what mygica was until I googled it just now.

LOL it's an awesome device. I actually found a way to get live TV on it.

I eliminated cable last year.  The user interface was too frustrating -- I only had a few basic channels and I had to scroll past the hundreds of channels that I didn't subscribe to.  I couldn't tell which ones were on my list or not so I'd click on a show and it would then tell me that I didn't pay for that channel.

So why the fu** are you showing it to me if I didn't pay for it!  Damn that was irritating.  Now we have Roku3 and Apple TV to choose from.  Usually we go with Amazon via Roku3 but we keep the Apple TV around because we have a bunch of things on iTunes for the kids.

I grew up without cable, but obviously watched some TV growing up at friends houses, etc. In college it was included in the dorms/apartments I lived in but I watched basically zero TV. I'm just not in the habit of turning on the TV. After college I just never got it. Saves a ton of money every year. The savings will buy a plane ticket most anywhere once a year and I prefer to travel.

But why even get Netflix? I bought mygica which uses a program called XMBC and I can watch any movie or show ever made for a one time fee of $90. I would never get netflix. A lot of my friends had cable until I told them that you can stream everything for free and they immediately cut the cable. Even my aunt and uncle who are 60 cut the cable.

Don't know how it works but when you can watch any movie or show ever made for $90 im pretty sure that's illegal downloads/streams. No thanks. I like to pay for good shows/movies that I watch so more good shows get made.

Stopped watching cable when I moved together with gf. Saving 500€/year which for me is slightly more than a week's pay after taxes. It has the additional benefit of missing out on all the garbage on tv and having more time to read or do other things.

It is insane how many people waste time watching tv. And often they aren't even watching the good series or films but utter garbage.

I've watched my fair share of classic films and series so that makes it easier to skip on a lot of things. Had Netflix for a while but stopped my subscription as I had watched most things worthwhile.  :D I now use an alternative that is much better than any legal alternative. Sorry...  :-X

We have cut cable since 2010.  We currently use netflix, amazon prime, hulu plus ( wife insists) and just signed up for sling to try out the streaming of the nba playoffs.

Since cutting the cord, we watch less tv. But we like it that way.  Before we had DVR and felt like we HAD to watch all these shows we saved to watch.

I Use Rokus...my own kids don't understand commercial breaks.. ???

But why even get Netflix?

Because I had no idea what mygica was until I googled it just now.

LOL it's an awesome device. I actually found a way to get live TV on it.

So is the main difference you can watch anything, anytime and Roku needs you to subscribe to Netflix, Hulu + or Amazon?

Never had cable for TV, though I have it for the internet (ISP is Teksavvy).

Keep in mind that this forum is extremely not representative of people in general (we're all INTJs for crissake), so you might want to be careful about extrapolating from it.

Most people I know have cable and probably watch multiple hours of it per day. Especially bad for those who are into sports (mostly Hockey around here).

The group here is definitely not representative.  Most people still use cable.  Further to that, nearly all households still bring their service in through a wire, fibre optic or other.  The big utility providers still own the wire that provides your high speed internet and you pay cable type rates for your internet. 

The Rogers, Bell, and AT&Ts of the world have grown rather than shrunk in the last 20 years.  They seem much more prepared than Kodak, for constant technological change.  Even when everything goes wireless, my guess is these companies will still make a bucket of money since they all have satellite or cell towers already.