Nobel prize for getting the full spectrum of LED

yadayada

How does this affect companies? There are a few cheap LED companies out there. What is this discovery going to do? Any physicists here, because i couldn't really figure this out myself :) . What will this do for regular LED lamps (so not the ones in screens or tv's).

Also what seems vague, did he get the prize for something that he already did invent years ago?

Ok nevermind, it is for something they did years ago. Delete this :)

Full spectrum LEDs have been around since the mid 90s. Nobel Prizes take a while to determine a technology was a breaktrough.

White LEDs have changed the lighting world by as much as fluorescent lighting. Today it's used in all electronic equipments and is slowly supplementing all other traditional lighting. LEDs, have a much longer lifetime, higher efficiency and color rendering than their competing technology.

Here is a small excerpt about lack of vision by corporate executives:

In 2001, Nakamura sued his former employer Nichia over his bonus for the discovery, which was originally ¥20,000 (~US$180). Although Nakamura originally won an appeal for ¥20 billion (~US$180 million), Nichia appealed the award and the parties settled in 2005 for ¥840 million (~US$9 million), at the time the largest bonus ever paid by a Japanese company.

BeerBaron

a bit late to give this price no? Wasn't this obvious years ago?

Nobel Prizes are normally awarded for work that was done many years ago. Only the peace prize tends to be more focused on recent work.

Or expected future work (which never materialized) in Obama's case.

Imagine if they awarded the physics prize to a promising young physicist who said he was going to come up with something really profound next year?

Yeah, I think the Obama one makes the organization lose all credibility.  What they heck were they thinking?

Shouldn't really affect the credibility of the once for the sciences, since it's not awarded by the same organization, or even in the same country. I wonder why Obama would be the last drop though, when it has been awarded to Mother Teresa, Al Gore, Yasser Arafat (also in expectation of something which never materialized) and Henry Kissinger long before that.

Also, note that the Nobel Prize for economics is not a "proper" Nobel Prize even if it is a heck of a lot more credible than the peace prize.

Yeah, I think the Obama one makes the organization lose all credibility.  What they heck were they thinking?

Shouldn't really affect the credibility of the once for the sciences, since it's not awarded by the same organization, or even in the same country. I wonder why Obama would be the last drop though, when it has been awarded to Mother Teresa, Al Gore, Yasser Arafat (also in expectation of something which never materialized) and Henry Kissinger long before that.

Also, note that the Nobel Prize for economics is not a "proper" Nobel Prize even if it is a heck of a lot more credible than the peace prize.

Yeah the peace prize doesn't have a very good history, not only for who they've given it to, but also who they haven't (Mahatma Gandhi comes to mind).  Maybe they will atone for past sins by awarding it to Snowden this year, but I doubt it.  It will probably go to the Pope for being against homosexuals and covering up for child rapists.

I wonder why Obama would be the last drop though, when it has been awarded to Mother Teresa, Al Gore, Yasser Arafat (also in expectation of something which never materialized) and Henry Kissinger long before that.

Yes, that's a fair point.  I think it's probably because of two things.  First I was at an age where I actually thought about it.  And second, because I believe that some reasonable people could believe that the others deserved it (even if I disagreed), whereas I had a hard time believing that anyone could reasonable believe that Obama deserved it at that point.  It seemed entirely motived by his charisma and the judges' racism.

that girl winning the nobel price is also somewhat questionable. She got shot and then went to the US and gave a few speeches? So with the science nobel prizes they wait 20 years to see what happens, but with the peace price they seem to give it out way too soon.