wellmont, what do you think about the new BB?

giofranchi

I'm off to Sears to buy some pleated pants and maybe a digital watch that's also a calculator.

Those are actually very IN right now.  Go to any hipster spot and you'll see people wearing them.

Urban Outfitters wouldn't sell them if they weren't cool right ? http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=31612567&parentid=M_ACC_WATCHES#/

In all seriousness, I wonder if Prem will flaunt that thing around at the Fairfax AGM next year.

I do have to admit to thinking that watch is pretty cool, it is not only retro and brings back memories, but appeals to the geek in me.  I'd certainly be more likely to buy that watch than a new Blackberry.

I just got back from the mall.  I went to the record store and there was a big poster with BB promoting a huge tour with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Green Day.  It's going to be awesome!  If you're interested you have to line up for tickets at your local Ticketmaster outlet when they become available.

It fits perfectly somewhere in your denim outfit. And it has a lot of storage room so you can throw away that discman. Plus it has a vibrate function, so you still know what's up without hearing 'you got mail!' when in a meeting!

And with the big screen you can watch the latest Seinfeld episodes.

I think we are really selling it here guys :D

They're trying to win back Canada...Gretzky came out wearing his Canadian tuxedo (full denim) with a hockey stick, light beer, and Blackberry.  What self respecting Canadian wouldn't buy the phone after that eh?

It fits perfectly somewhere in your denim outfit. And it has a lot of storage room so you can throw away that discman. Plus it has a vibrate function, so you still know what's up without hearing 'you got mail!' when in a meeting!

They're trying to win back Canada...Gretzky came out wearing his Canadian tuxedo (full denim) with a hockey stick, light beer, and Blackberry.  What self respecting Canadian wouldn't buy the phone after that eh?

Is this an American's perspective on a light beer?  :P

I heard him on the radio yesterday and while he's usually a pretty good speaker, he had a tough time getting through that.

The Blackberry is snug and tight in his GWG jeans.

http://hockeygods.com/system/gallery_images/10117/normal.jpg?1360275514

I didn't see the video. But if you're American, and observed him having what you'd consider a light beer, what was the brand? Dasani?  :D

Guest wellmont

At first I was kind of chuckling at how much John Chen is sweating in the photo attached to the story, but then I thought if I was in his shoes and had to introduce this product to the world I'd be sweating a lot worse than that.  He actually looks pretty cool considering.

http://ei.marketwatch.com//Multimedia/2014/09/24/Photos/ZH/MW-CU832_bbry_b_20140924110818_ZH.jpg?uuid=ad8edeaa-43fc-11e4-bff3-6fde369198aa%5D

why is this man smiling?

At first I was kind of chuckling at how much John Chen is sweating in the photo attached to the story, but then I thought if I was in his shoes and had to introduce this product to the world I'd be sweating a lot worse than that.  He actually looks pretty cool considering.

http://ei.marketwatch.com//Multimedia/2014/09/24/Photos/ZH/MW-CU832_bbry_b_20140924110818_ZH.jpg?uuid=ad8edeaa-43fc-11e4-bff3-6fde369198aa%5D

Yeah I would probably be sweating through the front of my pants, if I had to introduce that brick of shame.

But apparently 200,000 folks bought one in the first 36 hours!

Look out iPhone, Blackberry Passport is gunning for you!  ;D

I wonder why they went back to naming the phones. I figured they were going the way of all other tech companies and numbering their offering as not to have a negative connotation toward any one product like Vista.

Yeah, yeah, Blackberry is still living in the past decade, hence the names and not numbers. 

The real problem was the Z10.  Americans insisted it was called the "Zee" 10 and not the correct, "Zed" 10.  :P

Hence the number failure.

I don't really get the Passport, but I think it's possible that they sell a decent amount of devices. 

To me, the key metric of the device's success will not be that it sells in huge amounts, but that the amount of devices manufactured by Foxconn is somewhere close to what the demand is for such devices.  In other words, these new device launches are most instructive for determining how the inventory management partnership is working.  Even though the biz media is characterizing the Passport's release as BBRY's key attempt to get back to relevance, it's really still a small piece of the puzzle.  The biz plan clearly is still to focus on software and services, with key assets being deployed for MDM, security services, and M2M/IoT.

The Passport itself will probably be marketed heavily to certain verticals.  They're really trying to push the image of how the device is great for working in spreadsheets and viewing medical documents (like X-rays).  This indicates that they designed it for the finance and healthcare verticals. 

If they sell devices successfully into those verticals, they are likely also successfully selling their software and service offerings to those verticals because most people in NA only use Blackberry phones when an end to end BBRY solution has been put into place by IT. 

I don't really get the Passport, but I think it's possible that they sell a decent amount of devices. 

To me, the key metric of the device's success will not be that it sells in huge amounts, but that the amount of devices manufactured by Foxconn is somewhere close to what the demand is for such devices.  In other words, these new device launches are most instructive for determining how the inventory management partnership is working.  Even though the biz media is characterizing the Passport's release as BBRY's key attempt to get back to relevance, it's really still a small piece of the puzzle.  The biz plan clearly is still to focus on software and services, with key assets being deployed for MDM, security services, and M2M/IoT.

The Passport itself will probably be marketed heavily to certain verticals.  They're really trying to push the image of how the device is great for working in spreadsheets and viewing medical documents (like X-rays).  This indicates that they designed it for the finance and healthcare verticals. 

If they sell devices successfully into those verticals, they are likely also successfully selling their software and service offerings to those verticals because most people in NA only use Blackberry phones when an end to end BBRY solution has been put into place by IT.

I though foxconn was only responsible for lower end devices and high profile ones would still be handled by BBRY?