How old are you?

rkbabang
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My father is a physician and still practicing. This is USA centric (I am aware of the issues in the UK and Canada). I outearn him and have a better quality of life and hours than he did in a similar phase of his career/age. Genuinely curious where this myth about the golden age of being a doctor began. If any of you have children considering a career, I would not hesitate to suggest getting the MD and being in command of your destiny. I'm free to speak more privately if there is any questions.

Anyways no reason to derail the thread - I would not suggest dentistry as an alternative. They struggle quite a bit with overhead and liability plus many are private practice - most docs today work for hospitals or medical groups where they can at least compete for administration to pony up. 

I hate to have to say this but I love this career and what I do, cant imagine doing anything else (my folks were lax about me trying things like arch, law and realizing its not where I belong). Its fascinating work and never boring! 

36 minutes ago, texual said:

My father is a physician and still practicing. This is USA centric (I am aware of the issues in the UK and Canada). I outearn him and have a better quality of life and hours than he did in a similar phase of his career/age. Genuinely curious where this myth about the golden age of being a doctor began. If any of you have children considering a career, I would not hesitate to suggest getting the MD and being in command of your destiny. I'm free to speak more privately if there is any questions.

Anyways no reason to derail the thread - I would not suggest dentistry as an alternative. They struggle quite a bit with overhead and liability plus many are private practice - most docs today work for hospitals or medical groups where they can at least compete for administration to pony up. 

I hate to have to say this but I love this career and what I do, cant imagine doing anything else (my folks were lax about me trying things like arch, law and realizing its not where I belong). Its fascinating work and never boring! 

Oral surgery OTOH 🤑