Outstanding Investor Digest

Evolveus

Yes.  The most interesting comment by Nick Snyder on Chesapeake was that he indicated that today, Chesapeake reminds him of Fairfax back in 2006. Highly misunderstood, people think the CEO is a crook, they are going bankrupt, etc... but the assets are on the balance sheet.

Cheers

JEast

Got it!  The first page I read was worth many times the cost of the subscription and the wait.  :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed, whether coincidence or not, oid has extremely timely publications: march 09, mid or late 2010 (issue not in front of me), and the chk issue at a time when chk is one of the most hated companies. Just an observation.

Pretty much the whole thing is about CHK!

So everyone waits 2 years and they get an issue about CHK?  That's like waiting forever for the Boss to tour again, but when you show up you find out he's sick and Tony Danza will take his place.

I am a little disappointed to see that literally the entire issue is about CHK.  The interviews with Snyder are excellent, but some of the Longleaf commentary is dated back to Sept 2011.

Another thing that is a bummer is that I believe this is considered a "double issue" so it counts as two issues against whatever your remaining issue count is.

~Tony Danza

I learned a lot about how $CHK owns some awesome assets, how the supply / demand dynamics of natural gas create an insanely cheap price right now, and how natural gas will probably be the biggest boon to U.S. industry since WWII.

However, I don't like $CHK (I don't feel comfortable with their structure, their management, and the huge cash shortages). Since I invest with concentration, there's no way I'm investing in them. Maybe a small options position.

But I appreciate the takeaways I got from this issue, even though nothing was "actionable" for me.

From the back of OID: "The publisher, its affiliates and/or related parties may have a position in companies &/or monies invested with the managers discussed herein.  The publisher has numerous conflicts of interest and is actively seeking to establish additional ones as opportunities arise to do so."

Anyone know any background about the Snyder fellow of Snyder Morris that's pounding the table on CHK this issue?  I saw a couple of Munger-esque quotes in there which are encouraging.

Is it Nick Snyder...from Morris Snyder Management?  If so, yes I know Nick quite well.  He's come to our Fairfax dinner for the last couple of years.  Very nice guy!  Cheers!

Any idea what his returns are?

Another thing that is a bummer is that I believe this is considered a "double issue" so it counts as two issues against whatever your remaining issue count is.

~Tony Danza

Well said, couldn't agree more. Very disappointing to wait so long for a "double issue" that is so narrowly focused.

Chk has had a bit of a bounce in the past couple of weeks. May be due to the OID release. I would wait a few days for the buzz to cool off before purchasing the stock.

Ive subscribed to OID for about 10 years and always find it extremely informative and useful. This latest May 2012 issue I think is his best in several years, because it sheds considerable light on CHK as well as lots of information  from Longleaf guys that we cant get otherwise (I happen to be a strong

believer in the Longleaf funds, and Mason and Staley's approach; have invested heavily with them for

22 years)

Ive gotten far more value over the years from OID and his manager interviews than any other publication, and hope Emerson can keep it going, but on more reliable frequency

If you are looking for more affordable access to OID, I recently learned that the Brooklyn Public Library subscribes.  (And if you are out of the New York City area maybe the Brooklyn library would work with your library to do an interlibrary loan).

And also, I see the most recent edition of OID is being offered on eBay.

• 11 months later...

Bringing back an old topic - does anyone have suggestions how to access old issues of OID? Their website seem to be down. I am based in Toronto, so Brooklyn Public Library will not work :) and Toronto Public Library does not have a copy. A search on ebay didn't yield anything either.

• 6 months later...

henry is still around,,had a nice chat with him a few days ago after many years.

Hi - I also subscribed and have since seen very few issues. I assume you are referring to the author here, and so should we expect more issues when there is sufficient publishing worthy material?

I got this email today from OID. They are relaunching!

Dear Valued Subscriber,

We’re pleased to (finally) invite you to visit our newly re-launched OID.com — home of our new OID Digital Edition. And while it’s taken us far too long to bring them to you — much longer than we ever imagined it would — we’re very excited about the possibilities they open up for us to serve you better.

Anyone read the details on this thing?  Looks like it's a big clunky DRM reader that you have to install on Windows to view this stuff.  It won't allow printing, won't allow reading on a iPad or mobile, won't even load if you have a screen capture program installed.

If you purchase a new laptop you have to buy a new subscription for the laptop, or if you want to use two computers you need a subscription for both.

I understand this guy has a famed newsletter that he seems to believe is extremely valuable, but the DRM and closed mindedness about the content is disturbing.  If you want to print a page to save for reference it's impossible, you need to take notes with a pen and paper.  You're at the mercy of this company to access the content, and based on their history of reliability that's a big gamble to take.

I know in the past OID had access to some interesting investors but it seems the torch has been passed.  For my money I'd rather subscribe to the Manual of Ideas.  The Manual of Ideas people seem to be more current and have a great network of uncovering new and up and coming managers.  Plus they distribute their reports as PDF's that can be printed and read anywhere.

If anyone subscribes and is frustrated by the restrictions on this I have a workaround I just thought of.  Install a Windows virtual machine and install the software in that.  You can then use the non-VM to capture or print.

You can also run OID on a Mac with this, install the DRM software in Parallels, or inside a virtual machine.