Insurance exposure

bookie71

Since this board has some very smart insurance folks as members, I have a question:

What is the exposure of the different companies that are talked about on this board to the Mississippi flood and the horrific tornadoes?

Thanks

Yeah, sorry - I should have said "In the United States."  The question was about the Mississippi floods.  I think there will be crop insurance claims and that type of thing.  Plus some insurers will write supplemental Flood coverage above the Federal limits.

Guest misterstockwell

That what I thought too but why did Fairfax lose money in Australia's flooding?

If there is a fender bender in Maine, C&F will have a combined ratio of 110.

Most folks are not going to be covered as the possibility of a loss seemed to remote to warrant paying the premium. Then when it occurrs, they will be too poor to buy it after replacing the house. Net result is that most of the damages will bypass the market.

The costly great white (or wind) combine claims are those from car/farm equipment dealers, as the inventory financing requires the stock to always be insured. For the most part, average Joe will swallow the bulk of the damage to avoid pushing their premiums up.

Couple of claims with a lot of PR attached, but thats about it.

SD

Some of those houses may have already been underwater (in the mortgage sense) even before the floods hit.  Given that hardly anyone carries flood insurance, I figure the banks and other mortgage holders take a big hit here right?  I mean, who is going to repay the mortgage at that point if the house is destroyed, whether previously underwater or not.  I suppose I'm assuming the house is completely ruined, which may not be the case at all.