FNMA and FMCC preferreds. In search of the elusive 10 bagger.

twacowfca

• Replies 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Carney's take...

https://twitter.com/carney/status/1170104322945892353

Long-awaited $FNMA 10th Circuit en banc decision just dropped.

Quick take-away:

1) Sends question of 3rd Amendment back to trial court.

2) Says FHFA director is unconstitutional but relief is prospective only; director now removable at will.

Shareholders survived dismissal.

---

I don't have a link to the opinions. Sorry. I'm sure one will be up in the usual places.

There are tons of battling opinions in this thing on the constitutional question. More general agreement on the claim that Net Worth Sweep question is "plausible"--meaning, goes to trial.

---

This creates a pretty severe split with several other circuits which upheld motions to dismiss. So the next step here is, presumably, the Supreme Court.

Guest cherzeca

I'm still reading it, some 120 pages, but by i) 9-7 majority, 5thC en banc reversed the dismissal of the APA claim and remanded to DCt (meaning the Ps can go to trial to prove that the conservator did not have authority to adopt NWS), and ii) by a separate 9-7 majority ruled that the single fhfa director removable for cause only provision was unconstitutional but that Ps are entitled only to prospective relief (so NWS not invalid as a matter of constitutional law).

both parties will likely appeal.

I'm still reading it, some 120 pages, but by i) 9-7 majority, 5thC en banc reversed the dismissal of the APA claim and remanded to DCt (meaning the Ps can go to trial to prove that the conservator did not have authority to adopt NWS), and ii) by a separate 9-7 majority ruled that the single fhfa director removable for cause only provision was unconstitutional but that Ps are entitled only to prospective relief (so NWS not invalid as a matter of constitutional law).

so this ruling did not give plaintiffs any relief as they requested? Instead it is a remand to lower court like the Perry case?

Christian, thank you for your input. Do you think this leads to a settlement?

Guest cherzeca

so this ruling did not give plaintiffs any relief as they requested? Instead it is a remand to lower court like the Perry case?

IT VACATED THE DISMISSAL.  CLAIM IS ALIVE AND BASED UPON DECISION'S MAJORITY OPINION, THIS IS A VERY WINNABLE CASE FOR PS IF IT WERE EVER TO PROCEED TO TRIAL.  sorry for all caps, but just saying...

Guest cherzeca

Christian, thank you for your input. Do you think this leads to a settlement?

it certainly affects the fhfa/treasury negotiation.  if you guys read the opinion, which I encourage, check out the text to footnotes 178-180

Guest cherzeca

hello cherzeca, what is the rationale for offering a remand (what we apparently received) vs a full reversal where the en banc decides the nws is illegal? thank you

@IG

Ps win on law.  however in a trial, there are facts that need to be presented.  one gets summary judgment only if there are no facts that could be presented which would justify the NWS under the law as enunciated by this opinion.  I still haven't finished the opinion, but based on what I read so far, it is very hard to see how Ps could lose at trial.  but you are correct, this decision did not in and of itself vacate the NWS

edit: put another way, the DCt said that taking the Ps factual allegations as true, Ps lose.  en banc majority essentially says taking Ps factual allegations as true Ps win.

now are Ps factually allegations true?  that is for the DCt to decide on remand.

hello cherzeca, what is the rationale for offering a remand (what we apparently received) vs a full reversal where the en banc decides the nws is illegal? thank you

@IG

Ps win on law.  however in a trial, there are facts that need to be presented.  one gets summary judgment only if there are no facts that could be presented which would justify the NWS under the law as enunciated by this opinion.  I still haven't finished the opinion, but based on what I read so far, it is very hard to see how Ps could lose at trial.  but you are correct, this decision did not in and of itself vacate the NWS

edit: put another way, the DCt said that taking the Ps factual allegations as true, Ps lose.  en banc majority essentially says taking Ps factually allegations as true Ps win.

now are Ps factually allegations true?  that is for the DCt to decide on remand.

thank you.  one more, please - unless the constitutional side is appealed and overturned at the supreme court, Calabria could / would get kicked out in jan2021 if a democrat wins the election?

Guest cherzeca

@IG

edit: put another way, the DCt said that taking the Ps factual allegations as true, Ps lose.  en banc majority essentially says taking Ps factually allegations as true Ps win.

thank you.  one more, please - unless the constitutional side is appealed and overturned at the supreme court, Calabria could / would get kicked out in jan2021 if a democrat wins the election?

who the F knows.  there is a split in the circuits...DC circuit upheld removable for cause en banc after a merits opinion invalidating it written by.....then judge kavaugh

@IG

who the F knows.  there is a split in the circuits...DC circuit upheld removable for cause en banc after a merits opinion invalidating it written by.....then judge kavaugh

ok, thanks.  seems like supreme court will need to decide this area whether the prez can fire the fhfa head for any reason.

IT VACATED THE DISMISSAL.  CLAIM IS ALIVE AND BASED UPON DECISION'S MAJORITY OPINION, THIS IS A VERY WINNABLE CASE FOR PS IF IT WERE EVER TO PROCEED TO TRIAL.  sorry for all caps, but just saying...

Thank you! I appreciate it!

Guest cherzeca

cherzeca, last ones please (i think):?

what's the next step if no settlement - back to circuit court or govt appeal en banc to supreme court? 

if it goes back to circuit court, does it matter adversely to us that the judge is Clinton democrat?

thank you

both parties will seek writ of certiorari from SCOTUS.  Ps lost relief on const claim 7-9 so it will want to have SCOTUS hear this, and fhfa will want to have SCOTUS hear both claims.  I expect

SCOTUS to grant cert on both claims.  if it does, then the 5th C decision is held in abeyance pending SCOTUS determination.  if SCOTUS doesn't grant cert, then it is unclear whether fhfa director is removable only for cause (circuit split), and the DCt holds a trial on Ps alleged facts on the APA claim

Guest cherzeca

For those of you who don't believe the game is rigged, is it odd that the same trading day of the announcement to release comes out, a court decision now emerges that gives even those most opposed to the release a reason to compromise?

I have alternative theory.  one of the 9 judges in the APA majority was hesitant to so rule if treasury came out with a 4thA...one judge asked about this in oral argument.  once he saw the treasury plan had nothing, he said ok let it go

cherzeca, last ones please (i think):?

what's the next step if no settlement - back to circuit court or govt appeal en banc to supreme court? 

if it goes back to circuit court, does it matter adversely to us that the judge is Clinton democrat?

thank you

both parties will seek writ of certiorari from SCOTUS.  Ps lost relief on const claim 7-9 so it will want to have SCOTUS hear this, and fhfa will want to have SCOTUS hear both claims.  I expect

SCOTUS to grant cert on both claims.  if it does, then the 5th C decision is held in abeyance pending SCOTUS determination.  if SCOTUS doesn't grant cert, then it is unclear whether fhfa director is removable only for cause (circuit split), and the DCt holds a trial on Ps alleged facts on the APA claim

ok, thanks.  not good.  waiting til may/june for a sc ruling puts too many eggs in 1 basket too late in the presidential term.