SPAC Investing

EricSchleien

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Noticed something really interesting, Lee Ainslie's Maverick Capital and a lot of other Hedge Funds own a ton of SPACs. Here's where things get interesting, More than half of their holdings are not SPAC common stock, but SPAC.U - The Units. What is even more interesting is that, most of the SPACs of which this fund in particular owns Units of, are liquidating early with shareholder approval or are close to it. What do you think they are doing?

8 hours ago, whatstheofficerproblem said:

Noticed something really interesting, Lee Ainslie's Maverick Capital and a lot of other Hedge Funds own a ton of SPACs. Here's where things get interesting, More than half of their holdings are not SPAC common stock, but SPAC.U - The Units. What is even more interesting is that, most of the SPACs of which this fund in particular owns Units of, are liquidating early with shareholder approval or are close to it. What do you think they are doing?

After your post I went and looked at Maverick Capital's portfolio.  Jesus what a mess.  I couldn't even count the number of positions and inconsequential trades made every quarter.  To answer your question, they were probably buying the units at IPO knowing that they had some optionality and couldn't lose money on a cash substitute with the possibility of a pop.  There are companies that were specializing in these pre-deal SPACs and it was popular when interest rates were lower and SPACs sometimes went up.  Now not so much.  Guys that routinely did this would get the calls to be offered the new SPAC offerings and the warrants were sort of "free" and had value when they separated.  You can still make money buying a SPAC below trust value and voting to redeem when the time comes but there are better opportunities out there.  Also a one year t-bill yields 4.63% today so that raises the hurdle on what is worth doing.

One thing to remember is that the SPAC keep money in trust. So the interest element is a wash. Theyre buying the same t-bills you are. So in 2020 you would get back $10+ accrued interest. Today its the same but interest will be higher so maybe you get back 10.35 plus keep the warrant. 

The following SPACs: LIBY, ERES, ACAX, FEXD, HHGC, JWAC & PAFO have entered agreements for de-SPACs. These were on my tracking list from a VIC write up, assuming they will be successful at the merger, what do you guys suggest, the 'Rights' or the 'Warrants'? The rights are literally trading for 1-2 cents except for PAFO. While the warrants are trading at 0.0x, 10th of a cent. What would maximize returns? The companies they are merging with are decent even if they are not excellent, in my opinion. Will they hold $10 or above, never know, SPACs in general are sold into oblivion once the de-SPAC is complete, so, this has been on my mind.

Edited by whatstheofficerproblem