Option Pricing Increment Question

boilermaker75

• boilermaker75 changed the title to Option Pricing Increment Question

The increment depends on the stock, not the broker. Some stocks have options tradable in penny increments up to $3 and nickel increments thereafter, others start at a nickel up to $3 and a dime over $3.

It looks like the penny increment options are part of a trial program.

https://www.sec.gov/rules/sro/nasdaq/2020/34-89167-ex5.pdf

Edited by aws

29 minutes ago, aws said:

The increment depends on the stock, not the broker. Some stocks have options tradable in penny increments up to $3 and nickel increments thereafter, others start at a nickel up to $3 and a dime over $3.

It looks like the penny increment options are part of a trial program.

https://www.sec.gov/rules/sro/nasdaq/2020/34-89167-ex5.pdf

That is what I thought. But for OSTK options I can only trade in 5 cent increments at Schwab while at IB I can trade in 1 cent increments. I know because I have done several trades with both brokers.

9 hours ago, rkbabang said:

On Fidelity I can place a limit order only in $0.05 increments, but it is sometimes filled at a better price not divisible by $0.05

It must be something Scwhab and Fidelity are imposing for some reason but the options actually trade in $0.01 increments because I too sometimes get filled at Schwab at other than something divisible by $0.05.

On 4/30/2023 at 7:40 AM, boilermaker75 said:

It must be something Scwhab and Fidelity are imposing for some reason but the options actually trade in $0.01 increments because I too sometimes get filled at Schwab at other than something divisible by $0.05.

That is what I assumed as well, that it was a Fidelity imposed limitation.  It doesn't bother me much though because the price I get is often a few cents cheaper than my limit and the way I use options a few cents in one direction or the other doesn't matter much.  I tend to buy long dated out of the money options.  If a few cents mattered then I was wrong on my thesis for buying them.