Awesome Investor Quotes

Luca

Mohnish Pabrai:

The concept of circling your wagons: 

You dont really know a business till you invest in it. It really takes you a few years of ownership to really understand the business.

You may have some ideas about the business before.

Its when it drops 40% in price after you buy it, thats when you will have a real education of what the business is all about and what its worth. 

Your analysis will be extremely good at that point,it wont be so good before you buy the business, it will be good when it drops 40%.

Super funny Quote🤣

Edited by Luca

"The key organ in your body in the stock market is your stomach. It’s not the brain. If you can add 8 and 8 and get reasonably close to 16, that’s the only level of math you need to know. "

I've always liked this Peter Lynch quote.  He's got a lot of pithy quotes. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 7:01 AM, Gregmal said:

I sortof agree with the comment that Google is a one trick pony. Clearly they have way more businesses than search, but search is the main reason they got into most of them and the lever they used to build other businesses. The main one is advertising since it was a natural progression and a reuse of the tools that search advertising used. I would also put Android there since the idea of a free operating system they could monetize through advertising and search was so powerful it wiped out every other phone OS except Apples. 

It's also hilarious that Whitney didn't think that search had any significant moat when it's turned out the be one of the greatest moats in history. Google is a one trick pony but their pony is maybe the best in history and it's allowed them to build a huge ranch filled with other valuable livestock. 

9 minutes ago, ValueArb said:

I sortof agree with the comment that Google is a one trick pony. Clearly they have way more businesses than search, but search is the main reason they got into most of them and the lever they used to build other businesses. The main one is advertising since it was a natural progression and a reuse of the tools that search advertising used. I would also put Android there since the idea of a free operating system they could monetize through advertising and search was so powerful it wiped out every other phone OS except Apples. 

It's also hilarious that Whitney didn't think that search had any significant moat when it's turned out the be one of the greatest moats in history. Google is a one trick pony but their pony is maybe the best in history and it's allowed them to build a huge ranch filled with other valuable livestock. 

I can live with predictions that age poorly. But the difference is these hedge fund schmucks borderline lie. Or make factual declarations hoping to control the narrative. This wording is epic because all he had to say is “it may not have a moat”. Or “I don’t understand the moat”. Instead he was “certain”. And last time I checked it’s not really possible for a person with an IQ over 70 to be certain of something, and then wrong to such a horrifying degree, unless you are completely arrogant and full of yourself.

“I am quite certain that there is only a fairly shallow, narrow moat around its business."