Is anyone here actually living off their investments with no other incomes?

scorpioncapital

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been living off my investments since around 2017 and have built a spreadsheet to calculate drawdowns to cover living expenses which includes increases in costs and generous miscellaneous expenses (which I almost never use). By my conservative growth estimates (includes potential stagnation due to multiple contractions), and very liberal expenses, I figure I can make it stretch until I hit my 82nd birthday (22 more years), and this is not taking into account Social Security income. At that time I'll still have an unencumbered waterfront home in a desirable location which I could reverse mortgage (my ace in the hole).

My holdings are listed in my profile and the only 2 issues that I have strong fears for are CLB (bought a long time ago in a fit of stupidity), and SoftBank. My calculations include both of these issues going to zero. Many would say sell them and I will if I ever need to harvest a tax loss. For now, screw it. Call me an ape or whatever..

There's something very satisfying about developing an owners mindset.

I'm debt free and getting less materialistic every day.

68 and retired for a while.  The wind down of life in my view isn't simple --- as stopping all risk taking in all various types of things likely quickens demise.  I still retain somewhat of a keeping up the properties game because it keeps me functioning efficiently.  I still race my mountain bike in the grand masters 60 and over cross country events.  I dont win, but I finish.

Edited by dealraker

6 minutes ago, dealraker said:

68 and retired for a while.  The wind down of life in my view isn't simple --- as stopping all risk taking in all various types of things likely quickens demise.  I still retain somewhat of a keeping up the properties game because it keeps me functioning efficiently.  I still race my mountain bike in the grand masters 60 and over cross country events.  I dont win, but I finish.

Kudos to you my man. What always gets overlooked in all the formulas is that it’s not about the destination but the journey.