Merger Arb Basket

ACooke

What is everyone's thoughts on the Jetblue buyout of Spirit? It goes to court in October. $31/share buyout and paid $.10/share to wait. 

I personally hadn't realized that Jetblue ended the northeast alliance earlier this month. That signaled to me that they were serious about completing the merger. Prior to that I had thought of it as just an attempt to spoil the spirit/frontier merger. 

Edited by Eng12345

17 hours ago, Eng12345 said:

What is everyone's thoughts on the Jetblue buyout of Spirit? It goes to court in October. $31/share buyout and paid $.10/share to wait. 

I personally hadn't realized that Jetblue ended the northeast alliance earlier this month. That signaled to me that they were serious about completing the merger. Prior to that I had thought of it as just an attempt to spoil the spirit/frontier merger. 

Yeah Jetblue didn't try to appeal the northeast alliance ruling while American Air did. Trying to play ball with the Feds to push through the sprit deal. I think there's going to be some merger issues from a culture perspective, JetBlue thinks of themselves almost as a 'luxury brand' as much as one can an airline. Whereas Spirit is basically a flixbus/greyhound bus service. Can those employees adapt to the luxury culture? Or will the standards drop? But if anything this allows JetBlue to expand rapidly in a period where there's a shortage of both pilots and aircraft. 

If you want to build a list of open mergers for your merger-arb basket, may I suggest a great short-cut. Google "m&A class action", virtually every single merger is "investigated" by law firms looking for a payoff, and some issue newsletters containing their own target lists;)

Edited by ValueArb

1 minute ago, ValueArb said:

If you want to build a list of open mergers for your merger-arb basket, may I suggest a great short-cut. Google "m&A class action", virtually every single merger is "investigated" by law firms looking for a payoff, and some issue newsletters on the their own lists of targets.

good tip, appreciate it

• 3 months later...

I recently have bought SAVE, ACI, CPRI, and SGEN

I was also looking on USM/TDS, and IRBT, but biting my neils..  TDS/USM has no announced deals and founder recently gifted his family a lot of shares. IRBT got objection letter from EC.

The new FTC regime is making arbs more interesting, and more profitable, imo. They are seems keep losing trials.