What happened to European stocks starting April 2015?

RuleNumberOne

Well, my last post here(hopefully, but possibly not), I will clarify that indeed using the term pos was probably not the ideal adjective nor indicative of the point I was trying to make. I was in no way suggesting that writser is a pos. Just poorly describing a general type of response that came off as an individual attack. So, in the spirit of being a little nicer, my apologies.

Otherwise, yes RNO, you have been vetted by the forensic analysts and it was determined you are probably lying. As I suggested in my prior posts, you wasted your time responding and then re-engaging with pupil in the follow up requests for information; in the future you probably should be reminded that it is a waste of your time to do so. I initially thought pupil was asking questions about your purported strategy for productive reasons. Not solving the age old mystery of "where did Jay Gatsby I mean, RuleNumberOne, get his money?. I might also causally debate the idea they are envious, but certainly there is a thread of something that threatens them enough to stir up enough emotion that would prompt one to investigate something that is, as previously stated, so irrelevant, and unverifiable.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thoroughly confused by the turn this thread took and some of the responses here.

Is asking questions and trying to frame the likelihood of something a reasonable thing to do on an investment board?

If RuleNumberOne says "where is the growth in the Dow Jones?" is it reasonable to provide the data with recent growth from companies in the DJIA or S&P500?

If RuleNumberOne says "companies are overlevered" is it reasonable to provide data for the S&P500 ex financials showing leverage levels and credit spreads to frame that discussion

If RuleNumber one says "I made 55% unlevered timing the market", is it reasonable to download the monthly returns of the S&P 500, put absolute value in the column next to it, and ask why RNO's returns are higher than perfect market timing? Is it reasonable to ask for the potential sources of outsized returns?

I don't understand why we cannot ask analytical questions on an investment forum? Don't we post things to be challenged and hear others' views?

I was curious and skeptical, so I asked for more information, and tried to contextualize my skepticism in the context of data. I didn't scream "RNO's a liar" immediately after he said he had superior investment insight and the best returns on this website outside of cryptomillionaire Fat Pitch

I am genuinely surprised that this would inspire someone to not post here. 

It seems likely that what happened was an honest error on RNO's part in calculating returns because he doesn't actually want to spend a bunch of time calculating returns, and an honest attempt by writser to figure out what RNO was doing differently to get fantastic 5-year returns.

This is all fine, but at this point, there seems to be little value in continuing to drill into this sub-thread.

I am thoroughly confused by the turn this thread took and some of the responses here.

Is asking questions and trying to frame the likelihood of something a reasonable thing to do on an investment board?

If RuleNumberOne says "where is the growth in the Dow Jones?" is it reasonable to provide the data with recent growth from companies in the DJIA or S&P500?

If RuleNumberOne says "companies are overlevered" is it reasonable to provide data for the S&P500 ex financials showing leverage levels and credit spreads to frame that discussion

If RuleNumber one says "I made 55% unlevered timing the market", is it reasonable to download the monthly returns of the S&P 500, put absolute value in the column next to it, and ask why RNO's returns are higher than perfect market timing? Is it reasonable to ask for the potential sources of outsized returns?

I don't understand why we cannot ask analytical questions on an investment forum? Don't we post things to be challenged and hear others' views?

I was curious and skeptical, so I asked for more information, and tried to contextualize my skepticism in the context of data. I didn't scream "RNO's a liar" immediately after he said he had superior investment insight and the best returns on this website outside of cryptomillionaire Fat Pitch

I am genuinely surprised that this would inspire someone to not post here.

Then perhaps there is a misunderstanding. Those are all perfectly reasonable. You are correct in that you did not call him, or insinuate that he is a liar. Your posts seemed to be curious as to his strategy more than "There’s an unverifiable 5 year CAGR (that changes every other post ..) implying “investing god” but a verifiable 10 month post history implying “ignore list”."

It's a shame that this wonderful, kind, humble human being with an enormous brain decided to leave this forum. Perhaps he can start a private 'safe space' forum with Greg and a few others where they can safely discuss their godlike returns and super smart strategies without being offended and harassed by pea-brains like me. The quality of that forum would be mind-numbing. Obviously I would never get an invite and I would not be able to read any of their posts about how to generate 60% p.a. returns for the rest of my life. But I can live with that being the punishment for my past misdeeds. I feel so bad about this whole episode that I'd even consider renting a web server for them to set the whole thing up. I would call the forum 'Greg's gay safe space' - gay of course meaning care-free because that's what the place would be without all the hecklers. But another name is fine too of course. What about 'Greg and his no-brainers'? Obviously referring to all the opportunities you guys see out there. Let me know if you guys would be interested in starting up such a thing.

Anyway, I wish dear forum member RuleNumberOne all the best in his future endeavors. And in case it helps to change his mind: RuleNumberOne, buddy, if you decide to stay here I will never, ever, ever question anything you post ever again. My IQ is simply too low to comprehend what you are doing. I'm sorry about that. Please accept my heartfelt apologies.

It's a shame that this wonderful, kind, humble human being with an enormous brain decided to leave this forum. Perhaps he can start a private 'safe space' forum with Greg and a few others where they can safely discuss their godlike returns and super smart strategies without being offended and harassed by pea-brains like me. The quality of that forum would be mind-numbing. Obviously I would never get an invite and I would not be able to read any of their posts about how to generate 60% p.a. returns for the rest of my life. But I can live with that being the punishment for my past misdeeds. I feel so bad about this whole episode that I'd even consider renting a web server for them to set the whole thing up. I would call the forum 'Greg's gay safe space' - gay of course meaning care-free because that's what the place would be without all the hecklers. But another name is fine too of course. What about 'Greg and his no-brainers'? Obviously referring to all the opportunities you guys see out there. Let me know if you guys would be interested in starting up such a thing.

Anyway, I wish dear forum member RuleNumberOne all the best in his future endeavors. And in case it helps to change his mind: RuleNumberOne, buddy, if you decide to stay here I will never, ever, ever question anything you post ever again. My IQ is simply too low to comprehend what you are doing. I'm sorry about that. Please accept my heartfelt apologies.

writser, have you now reached your personal peak?

Have I peaked? That could very well be. I don't know if I can be this considerate and politically correct forever, John. I'm working with a pea-sized brain here.

Greg, I repeat, please let me know if you are interested in a private forum for you and your big-brained buddies. I have received an overwhelming number of PM's from people who thought that would be an excellent idea. The consensus seems to be that you have been horribly abused on this forum. Thanks to this thread people started to realize that they are holding you and your friends back from reaching their full potential, i.e. compounding at 60%+ p.a. without leverage by market timing US large caps. Something that the pea-sized brains here like me and thepupil could never achieve nor understand. And we, or at least I, turn that incomprehension into bitterness and envy. A very bad habit.