a plea for help from Ericopoly

ERICOPOLY

She forced me into a vocational evaluation and I rresponded in kind.

She has already had hers and has looked beyond upset lately.

Yesterday I had mine.  It has been 10+ years of retirement so my skills are considered 100% obsolete.

I have a math degree with a specialization in business and there are primarily government jobs where I now live.

She said it looks like 5 years of studying for a PhD in economics and then an entry level job making $50k-$70k.

She told me that my wife can work right away as she was previously a realtor.

Hah! Hah! Hah!

It is always darkest before the dawn.

But what if her lawyer argues that you have been so successful at investing that your investing skills suits you a job in a HF right away?

I am sure if you are looking for a trader job in a HF, people on this board will be lining up to offer you one.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric, I am so sorry to hear about the divorce you're going through.  I know a lot of heartache, anger, confusion, etc. can come in a situation like this, especially when it's messy.  I'm not sure if forgiveness and reconciliation is something that is possible or desired, but may I recommend the book As We Forgive: Stories of Reconciliation from Rwanda https://www.amazon.com/As-We-Forgive-Stories-Reconciliation/dp/0310287308/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527132584&sr=8-1&keywords=as+we+forgive+stories+of+reconciliation+from+rwanda.  My bride is the author and it speaks of very powerful instances where relationships are restored in the most dire of circumstances (victims forgiving the murderers of their loved ones).  The stories are remarkable and I have benefited greatly from them in my own life with areas that have needed some level of forgiveness and/or reconciliation.  If you, or anybody else reading this, would like a free signed copy send me a private message and I'll get it to you quickly.  I pray for forgiveness and reconciliation between you and your bride, Eric, and general peace regardless of the outcome for you, her, and your children.  I truly mean that.

Ericolopoly,

You can't win either way....sorry...and sorry about what’s going on. However....

So put an outrageously large one time payment together and close all open arguments. Forget math, stocks, emotions about the amount of money. Your kids are more important. While you are a retired dude and have been the entire time......man you are crazy smart...you will figure out a way to make the money back in the future sorry you will have to go back to work.

I have done this with friends (which I consider you) before and I am not a lawyer.

All the best,

Dazel

So according to you, he should simply "put an outrageously large one time payment together" (that likely represents a lifetime of saving+patience+discipline+foresight+risk taking+luck, that may or may not be repeated in the future) without thinking it through...just because...he's crazy smart and figure out to make money back in the future? And also because "kids are more important" ?

Okay, I should just mind my goddamned business, but...  The short answer to your question, is yes.  My rough memory is that Eric had $15-ish mil a few years back, which should still be mostly intact.  So, what does a divorced guy truly need?  If he can get by on 33% of the family wealth and still has the talent to grow it, then maybe Dazel's viewpoint is not Bat-shit crazy.  If offering her $10-ish mil makes the child custody thing go away, why would a guy not keep $5-ish mil and joint custody of the kids?  When you get right down to it, what else do you have other than family?  I'd say that Dazel has a legit viewpoint, even if the lawyers would shit a brick by even thinking about it.

The other bat-shit extreme approach would be to threaten the wife that Eric could go for full custody and then move the kids back to Australia.  It's the old Clint Eastwood question for the wife.  "You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?"

Wishing all the best to Eric in a shitty situation.

SJ

I spoke to my attorney earlier about making financial deals and she said it doesn't work that way.  You can't buy your way into custody -- you can make a deal and they can come back again later and file a motion for change of custody. 

She already asked me if I'd give up 50% of my separate property claims in exchange for 50% of the kids.  I later found this ploy on a "Dirty Divorce Tricks" website.