Trump and the american politics sideshow

yadayada

Im not american, but i must say your elections are usually very entertaining. Tonight is the first debate with Trump in it. Wonder what kinds of crazy shit he will say now! What would be the odds of that guy becoming president?

Honestly all the other candidates have the charisma of a bag of sand. And Trump is very popular right now. I think people are more fed up with empty shill politicians (or that is the image bush and clinton portray) then most of the elite expected. The funny thing is, after his remarks, apparently he has pretty decent approval from the latino's. Which kind of surprises me. Latino vote usually decides the elections right?

some have compared him to roosevelt as well. He was rich too, big ego and kind of known as an asshole and bully before being elected.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an American, I am embarrassed by our political system.  And I am greatly dismayed over the debate that is occurring over minimum wage.  There should be no debate.  Economic elites want low income people to live in cardbox boxes forever though.  They (the economic elites) need more money after all.

In schools, we teach our kids that we are a democracy.  I wish we taught the various forms of government and told the kids to decide what we are.  HINT: We are not a democracy.  We are a country controlled by economic elites and interest groups.

I am praying that the guy from Vermont is our next president.

But I think it would be great for Trump to win.  We haven't had an assassination in a while and I think that guy would push someone over the edge.  And to be frank, I don't think it would be great for America to have him be president or that in general that I want to see an assassination of a president.  I think it would be great if trump were dead and his presidency may expedite the process to the benefit of all humanity.

But I think it would be great for Trump to win. We haven't had an assassination in a while and I think that guy would push someone over the edge.  And to be frank, I don't think it would be great for America to have him be president or that in general that I want to see an assassination of a president.  I think it would be great if trump were dead and his presidency may expedite the process to the benefit of all humanity.

Hello President Palin

It doesn't matter who the next president is.  It is all for your entertainment anyway.  The politicians all differ on some social issues or minor other things, but regardless who wins nothing substantial will change in anyway that matters to the elite. 

Just look at Obama.  He campaigned on ending Bush's wars and repealing the Patriot act.  LOL, maybe he was even naive enough to think he could.

Trump's unfavorables are high and his head to head polling is weak against pretty much anyone. To win the nomination he needs the Republican field to stay wide open. If Bush or Walker gains a lot of momentum and candidates start dropping out, they can pick up moderates and second choice voters and beat him fairly easily.

Head to head versus a competent Democratic campaign he has very little chance. He may attract more entrants to the Democratic primary, because a lot more Democrats can beat Trump compared to Bush.

The funny thing is, after his remarks, apparently he has pretty decent approval from the latino's. Which kind of surprises me. Latino vote usually decides the elections right?

Not really. Latino votes are concentrated in non-swing states like Texas, California, Arizona, Illinois, New York, etc. Florida is an exception, but Cubans and Puerto Ricans don't necessarily identify with Mexican-American issues.

Trump may poll well with hard-core Republican Hispanic voters, but there are not that many of them and I am very doubtful he will do well with moderate Hispanic voters.

As an American, I am embarrassed by our political system.  And I am greatly dismayed over the debate that is occurring over minimum wage.  There should be no debate.  Economic elites want low income people to live in cardbox boxes forever though.  They (the economic elites) need more money after all.

In schools, we teach our kids that we are a democracy.  I wish we taught the various forms of government and told the kids to decide what we are.  HINT: We are not a democracy.  We are a country controlled by economic elites and interest groups.

I am praying that the guy from Vermont is our next president.

But I think it would be great for Trump to win.  We haven't had an assassination in a while and I think that guy would push someone over the edge.  And to be frank, I don't think it would be great for America to have him be president or that in general that I want to see an assassination of a president.  I think it would be great if trump were dead and his presidency may expedite the process to the benefit of all humanity.

Politics is Destroying Your Soul

The electorate is trying to do the same thing over and over and expecting different results. They keep going for a fresh face that is not incompetent and not a liar. But the electorate is begging for a liar.  I don't know what trump stands for (it is very vague) but much of what he says is going to be revealed to be a lie.....

- if he is president he really is going to make Mexico pay for a $100 billion wall? How exactly is he going to make mexico pay? And even if he can make mexico pay, mexico doesn't have the money; so that's a lie that he can make mexico pay

- he had a deferrment in the vietnam draft because of a bone spur in his foot, BUT he doesn't remember which foot, liar!

- he said he did not say macain is not a war hero? excuse me? I heard it with my own ears!

And his appeal believe it or not is that he tells things like it is!

As the campaign goes on he will constantly backtrack and contradict himself........ it will be a funny thing to watch

Im not american, but i must say your elections are usually very entertaining. Tonight is the first debate with Trump in it. Wonder what kinds of crazy shit he will say now! What would be the odds of that guy becoming president?

Honestly all the other candidates have the charisma of a bag of sand. And Trump is very popular right now. I think people are more fed up with empty shill politicians (or that is the image bush and clinton portray) then most of the elite expected. The funny thing is, after his remarks, apparently he has pretty decent approval from the latino's. Which kind of surprises me. Latino vote usually decides the elections right?

some have compared him to roosevelt as well. He was rich too, big ego and kind of known as an asshole and bully before being elected.

I think the problem is you think that most 24/7 news channels in the US is strictly information like the BBC World News Hour. The day today news programs in the US arnt really here to keep you informed as much as they are here to entertain you. I tend to think of them as "Grown-up Cartoons."  Even you say "i must say your elections are usually very entertaining. " So even you are using them as entertainment value.

Trump is getting exactly what he wants,not a presidential nomination, rather he wants people talking about him and he doesn't care if he has to say some shock value lines to get it. He does this every 4 years.

On a personal level Ive talked with a few friends about this, were regular Americans who you will find at a downtown bar in Chicago for happy hour late 20s to late 30s, We just laugh about it and dont take  it seriously. In fact even among other groups that i hang out with no one takes him seriously....My grandpa who is late 80s doesnt care about him, Mother and father in thier 60s,  Indian couples who work midddle managements in Corperate america joke about him. My cousin who is 20 doesnt give a shit. My republican colleagues dont give a shit about him.

Theres a lot more people out there that just dont give a shit and i think you are placing too much emphasis on what the "news polls" are saying a year out. Once you get all those other candidates on the debate stage then there other people will start to become more prominent.  Edit :Im kinda a jerk so if someone polled me i would probably mess with them and say yes...and honestly i'm open to listening(for a bit) any candidate, even trump, but who have we really heard from other than trump? Even Nate Silver over at fivethirtyeight.com says his chances are really low...like 2% low. Republicans don't even pick a candidate until like July 2016.

From Nate Silver today: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trumps-six-stages-of-doom/

As for a few misconceptions you have about American politics. If i come off as a jerk for correcting some misconceptions you have, i'm sorry.

1)

Latino vote usually decides the elections right?

I'm under the impression that state by state the latino vote doesn't really matter......let me explain. In the US we have what is called the Electoral college, look it up for its specifics, but essentially when i cast a ballot for Obama I'm not actually voting for him rather im voting for a representative from my state to cast his/her ballot for Obama. There are 538(good name for a website) of these people.

I digress, If you take out the latino vote from on a state to state basis you dont really change the way these 538 people vote. Its not as if the 16% of latinos a) all vote for the same person b) get 16% of the electoral collage vote to cast for one candidate. Rather they are mix in by state with the rest of the population by state.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/operation-gringo-can-republicans/ Operation Gringo: Can the Republicans Sacrifice the Hispanic Vote and Win the White House? - Nate Silver 2009

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/where-does-hispanic-vote-really-matter/ Where Does the Hispanic Vote Really Matter? Andrew Gelman 2009

2)

some have compared him to roosevelt as well. He was rich too, big ego and kind of known as an asshole and bully before being elec

I dont think being rich is any sort of valid comparison between a President who is widely regarded as a good President and  a business man.  Other than "being rich" i don't see that they have too much in common. As for Roosevelt being an asshole, im sure he was tough on pushing his agenda but he did "asshole-ishly" but sometimes you have to force change for the good in that manner.

If your trying to sell me that Trump is the new Roosevelt ...your gonna have to do better.

One more thing.....since this posting. I agree with Berkshire's satire. Get out there and be informed or dont be informed and stop your bitching.

I've always found it funny how much emphasis is given to debates in the presidential election, it definitely adds an entertainment aspect that in my opinion takes away from the substance.

As much as the American media would have you think that elections come down to corralling independents or various groups like Latinos, the reality is turning out the base is still the best strategy. I've read that Romney would be president now if the same % of registered Republicans had voted for him as voted for McCain. Whether any of these candidates can obtain even Romney's numbers remains to be seen.

Trump is like that cool uncle that you thought was the smartest guy in the world when you were 12, because he had the answers for everything. And he was so confident about it! And then you grew up and realized he really is a bumbling idiot.

It is kinda sad that a lot of Americans are still in that 12 year old phase.

I think the problem is you think that most 24/7 news channels in the US is strictly information like the BBC World News Hour. The day today news programs in the US arnt really here to keep you informed as much as they are here to entertain you. I tend to think of them as "Grown-up Cartoons."  Even you say "i must say your elections are usually very entertaining. " So even you are using them as entertainment value.

In the netherlands we have geert wilders. But besides that, most candidates are pretty rational and not outrageous. And elections are pretty boring. But in the US? Now Trump, Sarah Palin, Bachman, those two crazy republican religious fruits and all the crazy shit they said. You had that corporate shill last election that seemed like a tiny little corporate midget inside his head was steering him around. It is a complete sideshow lol. They make one 'did he/she really say that lol' quote after another. Somehow these idiots get votes/attention. Get your shit together! 

I hear the Starbucks CEO is thinking about running for president too.  Should be interesting.  Another thing to put on your resume I suppose.

How about someone that is blue collar and not an economic elite?

I'd vote for that person blindly.

I hear the Starbucks CEO is thinking about running for president too.  Should be interesting.  Another thing to put on your resume I suppose.

There's always this guy http://bennorton.com/2016-us-presidential-election-endorsement-vermin-supreme/

He's not a member of any economic elite.  And I, for one, would love to see the president sitting in the Oval Office with a boot on his head.

There's always this guy http://bennorton.com/2016-us-presidential-election-endorsement-vermin-supreme/

He's not a member of any economic elite.  And I, for one, would love to see the president sitting in the Oval Office with a boot on his head.

In Lithuania we have actually elected such people in the past.

The results were worse than the career politicians I have to say.

But that's just MHO.

(And yes, I am aware that rkbabang's link was humoristic)

So to sum it up:

you have the 4 Koch puppets (note how they all look sort of doughy, like juicy pieces of billionaire clay):

Jeb bush:

http://www.gewoon-nieuws.nl/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/jeb-bush.jpg

Cruz:

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsmax/files/b9/b9db06f3-8eeb-43af-8fe6-2f98234fa6f6.jpg

Walker:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQktSeENorqm49fFa5EroONU8lwUzdYKrg1pzYWslC8ZvvzrwKY4A

Rubio:

http://media.breitbart.com/media/2015/05/Marco-Rubio-smiling-AP-Photo-640x480.jpg

He loves himself some doughy pocket boys! (Koch brothers actually paid people to spread misinformation against climate change, thjese guys are really comically evil):

http://images.politico.com/global/2015/07/27/150727_david_koch_gty_1160_1160x629.jpg

Then there is this maniac:

http://russia-insider.com/sites/insider/files/trump-hair.jpg

Then there is this guy who is basically clueless about economics, but would probably be a better candidate then most of these basket cases

Bernie Sanders:

http://www.truthdig.com/images/eartothegrounduploads/sanders590.png

And then there is the living proof that females can also be sociopaths:

http://cdn.breitbart.com/mediaserver/Breitbart/Big-Government/2012/Clintons/clinton_wide_eyed_afp.jpg

And a special mention for this loonie  (in case you think he is one of the good guys, he is anti vaccination, against killing the patriot act, apparently thinks trans fat is good for you and many more crazy things):

rand-paul.si.jpg

They say that presidential elections dont mean that much, whoever said that, I hope your right!

The fact that you say would vote for someone blindly is what truly scares me the most.

I may disagree with say....John McCain but i would certainly take him over Joe the Plumber. Joe the plumber doesnt know the first thing about statesmanship, he doesn't have experience leading armies or building consensus among varying opinions, dealing with competing interests and the million other things that come across the desk of the leader of the world.

Joe the Plumber has been dedicating his life to plumbing in average size town, usa. If i wanted to put in a bathtub on my top floor he'd be the guy for the job. By no means is there anything wrong with choosing this life for yourself and its honorable to have profession like that....I just dont ask someone to do something they have no skills in.

This article applies equally to Trump as well as that guy from Vermont.

Bernie Sanders's fear of immigrant labor is ugly — and wrongheaded

"The philosopher Michael Huemer has a great thought experiment making this point. Imagine a man, Marvin, is starving to death, and goes to a marketplace to buy bread. Another man, Sam, forcibly stops him and prevents him from buying bread. Marvin starves to death.

That's wrong, right? And it's still wrong if the harm caused is less severe. Say Marvin isn't going to the marketplace to buy bread, but instead to sell it. If he sells it at that particular marketplace, he will make 15 times more money than if he sold it at the other marketplace in town. But Sam stops him, by force, from selling at the lucrative marketplace, forcing him to settle for the other market, where he makes 15 times less.

The analogy is not exactly subtle: Marvin is a potential immigrant (in this case from Nigeria; recall that moving from Nigeria to the US raises an average migrant's earnings 15-fold), and Sam is a US border patrol agent. If you think Sam is hurting Marvin by barring him from selling bread from the good market, you've got to think that border agents are hurting immigrants by keeping them from coming to work in the US."

In Lithuania we have actually elected such people in the past.

The results were worse than the career politicians I have to say.

But that's just MHO.

(And yes, I am aware that rkbabang's link was humoristic)

Wasn't Dracula Lithuanian?

Considering you only have 15,000 active soldiers, how many hours would it take Russia to take over the country, again?

It seems that in 2015 Lithuania adopted the Euro. Like, this year.  Are you guys high?

What are the capital gains tax on investment and trading?

After reading The Wisdom of Psychopaths I'd actually be surprised if a head of state is not a psychopath.

Wasn't Dracula Lithuanian?

Considering you only have 15,000 active soldiers, how many hours would it take Russia to take over the country, again?

It seems that in 2015 Lithuania adopted the Euro. Like, this year.  Are you guys high?

What are the capital gains tax on investment and trading?

After reading The Wisdom of Psychopaths I'd actually be surprised if a head of state is not a psychopath.

Trolling much?