10 year financials?

Homestead31

gurufocus changed their format so you can no longer get 10 years of financials easy and free....

does anyone have an alternate source?

i realize the gurufocus stuff is just quick and dirty, but i liked to be able to use it for a quick glance to get a basic feel for trends, margins, returns on capital etc... 

if you know of another quick and easy source of data, please share!

Guest Schwab711

Are you using the SMF add-in? If so, I've found that Google is the most reliable source, though it only goes back 4 years. I haven't found a better source to work with since most have updated their formats.

Wikinvest offers free 10-year financials. More if the company is older. Use the 'data central' function.

I think they only have 2 or 3 thousand stocks though, so it won't work for small caps. Also, it's mostly US only.

I sometimes wonder about value investors..

We have a forum where people are managing tens of thousands to millions of dollars and yet can't spring for a $100 tool that will enable them to earn more.

It's like someone trying to build a $500k house but not wanting to pay an architect, they'd rather their neighbor give them free advice and hack things together in MS Paint.

We have a forum where people are managing tens of thousands to millions of dollars and yet can't spring for a $100 tool that will enable them to earn more.

It's like someone trying to build a $500k house but not wanting to pay an architect, they'd rather their neighbor give them free advice and hack things together in MS Paint.

Out of curiosity, what data service(s) do you subscribe to, Nate?

Bloomberg Terminal, had Morningstar for years prior to Bloomberg.

I found for pink sheets that standard tools didn't work well and cancelled my subscriptions at the time. Same with bank data, built my own. In terms of what I've paid for that...don't ask..

I have a policy that if a tool helps our business or my research and the benefits outweigh the cost I will happily pay. I have purchased numerous tools for development. I've paid for reports etc. most recently have paid close to $5k for a set of very specific data on banks, had no qualms opening the wallet.

You might also take a look at ADVN's page. They offer more than 20 years of annual and quarterly data for free for a lot of companies. The information is mostly in English, but some text required for navigation in the web page is German. To get to the financial data for a company, click on "Finanzwerte".

For example:

http://de.advfn.com/borse/NASDAQ/AAPL/finanzwerte

Bloomberg Terminal, had Morningstar for years prior to Bloomberg.

Just to doublecheck: was "$100 tool" metaphorical or did it refer to some specific tool for this specific problem (10 year financials)? If it did refer to specific tool, which tool was it? I'm pretty sure it wasn't Bloomberg Terminal. :)

I agree, and I think that willingness to pay for data at all and to pay even more for data quality depends on experience and portfolio size...

May I ask: What service do you refer to by the $100 tool - MorningStar? If you have used it before switching to Bloomberg, then their service must be well worth its price. May I ask how you would rate their data quality, especially regarding non US stocks?

(as explanation: I am currently subscribing to ValueLine and GuruFocus. I like their services for US stocks, but ValueLine covers hardly any stock outside the US, and I am not satisfied with data quality of Gurufocus' premium service for European stocks - hence I am looking for alternative data services)

gurufocus changed their format so you can no longer get 10 years of financials easy and free....

does anyone have an alternate source?

i realize the gurufocus stuff is just quick and dirty, but i liked to be able to use it for a quick glance to get a basic feel for trends, margins, returns on capital etc... 

MSN Money provides 6 years and is free.

Yes, the $100 tool reference was Morningstar. For a while they had a deal where it was. $100 a year if you subscribed through a Fidelity link.

Their database is excellent. For a different application I talked with them regarding licensing data. Licensing is not cheap, hundreds a month per user for a handful of fields. The fact that they let individuals subscribe for $100 or so is incredible.

Their international coverage is impressive. The only issue I had was international names weren't a default, you had to do something specific to search for them.  I also found their screeners close to useless. But if you know what you're looking for excellent data. 10 year financials on almost anything that trades.

Yes, the $100 tool reference was Morningstar. For a while they had a deal where it was. $100 a year if you subscribed through a Fidelity link.

Their database is excellent. For a different application I talked with them regarding licensing data. Licensing is not cheap, hundreds a month per user for a handful of fields. The fact that they let individuals subscribe for $100 or so is incredible.

Their international coverage is impressive. The only issue I had was international names weren't a default, you had to do something specific to search for them.  I also found their screeners close to useless. But if you know what you're looking for excellent data. 10 year financials on almost anything that trades.

Doesn't morningstar already give you 10-year data without subscribing? I thought that the subscription was mostly adding analytics stuff (from their analysts and screens/mechanical thingies). Or do you get more data if you subscribe?

What I wish it I had a service with long-term data (10, 15+ years) with CAGR information pre-computed (kind of like in Markel's annual report, they have these CAGR lines, and rolling 5-year CAGR, etc). If anyone knows a service like that that doesn't cost a ton, please let me know. I like to be able to eyeball things quickly sometimes.

Doesn't morningstar already give you 10-year data without subscribing?

No, they don't. I just checked.

5 year data for free. Clicking on 10-year data lands on the $199 a year subscription page.

10 year financials used to be free. About two years ago Morningstar went to five years free and you had to pay for 10 years. That is when I started using my university's library, which had a subscription. I wouldn't mind paying, but if I can still get it free that is what I will do!

Doesn't morningstar already give you 10-year data without subscribing?

No, they don't. I just checked.

5 year data for free. Clicking on 10-year data lands on the $199 a year subscription page.

10 year financials used to be free. About two years ago Morningstar went to five years free and you had to pay for 10 years. That is when I started using my university's library, which had a subscription. I wouldn't mind paying, but if I can still get it free that is what I will do!

That's probably what confused me. But I should just have checked first :) Thanks guys.

Still looking for that service that has all the CAGRs and YoY percentages pre-computed..

Yes, the $100 tool reference was Morningstar...Their international coverage is impressive.

Do they have 10 years of financials for japanese companies?

After googling it seems a bloomberg terminal is 24k/yr.  I like to keep costs under 1% of assets so I'd need several million before I'd consider getting one.  I agree on being too cheap  being a problem though.  I see this with myself, I've always planned to subscribe to your newsletter and Norman Rothery's as well but I always end up putting it off for "someday".  I didn't grow up well-off and as often happens with people from that background I acquired a habit of severe frugality.  Overall my frugal tendencies have served me well but it is something that really gets ingrained, so it is hard to override it even when you know it is the rational thing to do.

Is there a correlation between investment performance and having the highest quality data?

I can`t see a reason to pay for data, but of course i understand that people that sell data have a different view on this aspect. :)

Is there a correlation between investment performance and having the highest quality data?

I can`t see a reason to pay for data, but of course i understand that people that sell data have a different view on this aspect. :)

I've seen people make investment mistakes because they have bad data. Easy to make a bad decision if you don't have the whole story.

I am obviously biased as I sell data. I would say the value is in unique data and tools.  We are all re-packaging regulatory data, Bloomberg and CapIQ are doing the same, repackaging public data. The value is in the insights and tools built on the data.

Finding datasets beyond regulatory is key, as well as the tools. For some investors they would rather manually input numbers into Excel so they get a feel for financials. That's free, but takes time. Others are more interested in speed, and a fully populated model has value.

I've seen people make investment mistakes because they have bad data. Easy to make a bad decision if you don't have the whole story.

Don't you get it, bad data is a big help, how else are you going to have a variant perception on a company? ;)

Yes, the $100 tool reference was Morningstar...Their international coverage is impressive.

I see this with myself, I've always planned to subscribe to your newsletter and Norman Rothery's as well but I always end up putting it off for "someday".  I didn't grow up well-off and as often happens with people from that background I acquired a habit of severe frugality.  Overall my frugal tendencies have served me well but it is something that really gets ingrained, so it is hard to override it even when you know it is the rational thing to do.

I just subscribed to Nate's newsletter, and have very much enjoyed the first issue I received. I strongly suspect I will have a very good ROI on my subscription dollars, and wish I had subscribed from the beginning.