Looking for Summer Intern position

abyli

Dear board members,

Are you interested in hiring a young lady to do the summer intern job?

My niece is currently studying in Ohio State University business school, now the 3rd year in college. She is looking for gaining work experience after three years studying in Finance major. I know many board members came from business schools, do you hire summer interns? Or have you had such experiences to work as summer intern? Where to look for such opportunies?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Bing

My daughter did her undergrad in business. Where she went to school they had internship programs. She interned at a PR firm in London and also took a class the summer after her sophomore year. It was good because she learned she did not want to work in PR. Besides the formal internship program, her school also had an internship fair where at least a hundred companies came recruiting summer interns. Your niece should look to see what programs the OSU already has.

Another thing your niece should look into is what summer programs other universities offer. After her junior year, my daughter did a program in UCLA's Anderson business school. Anderson's focused on the entertainment industry, but I am sure there are some, especially in the New York City area, that would focus on finance. My daughter now works in Hollywood.

Not trying to be a jerk but will you build her models for her if someone hires her?  I would have more respect if she came on the board and asked for an internship which shows real interest.  I personally went through a grueling process to get hired but learned a ton along the way.  She should do all of her own primary searching in my opinion - people will respect her more and she will get a better sense of how the real world operates.  The rejections may even shape her life in unexpected ways - mine did.

Not trying to be a jerk but will you build her models for her if someone hires her?  I would have more respect if she came on the board and asked for an internship which shows real interest.  I personally went through a grueling process to get hired but learned a ton along the way.  She should do all of her own primary searching in my opinion - people will respect her more and she will get a better sense of how the real world operates.  The rejections may even shape her life in unexpected ways - mine did.

Agreed, although having a helping hand to open doors is always appreciated.  I've come to learn two things:

1) Initiative is rewarded, if you knock on enough doors some will eventually open.

2) Great connections should be used when possible.  I've had many more doors open through referrals or introductions compared to brute force.  Use whatever tools are available.

I was able to get an internship during college through a strange connection.  My mom ran into an acquaintance in a grocery store and the conversation turned to kids.  She mentioned I was studying computers.  This acquaintance said her husband was an investor in a start-up and I should call him.  I called the guy and somehow worked my way into getting an interview from him.  I was hired after I interviewed on my own accord.  My mom found a connection, but I made it work.  I don't think there's anything wrong with this at all.  Too often students disregard parent or adult advice.  If a niece, nephew or my own kids asked for an introduction I'd give it if I felt they could make the job work.