Buffett/Berkshire - general news

Alternative explanation for this and HCG might be that it's all Ted's ideas and Warren just signs off without much supervision. That's also not very believable, but just throwing it out there. I base this on the size of the positions which are really small for Warren.

I'm pretty sure that Todd and Ted both invest without supervision, at least in 'their' accounts.

Right. What I was saying is that maybe Warren was involved in HCG (and maybe Store) just for the weight of his name even though it was Ted's position/idea. I have no clue if "supervision" is bigger in such case.

It looks like this is a Ted Weschler pick.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-26/buffett-s-bet-on-store-shows-not-all-retail-real-estate-is-equal

Store Capital Chief Executive Officer Christopher Volk said on Monday that Berkshire had been studying the REIT since 2014, occasionally holding conversations with management. Ten days ago, Buffett’s deputy investment manager Ted Weschler called the company to suggest a deal because the price had fallen to an attractive level, Volk said.

Thanks for sharing, Ballinvarosig Investors,

Now it makes quite more sense to me after reading the article. STO must have had a project pipeline with good prospects that it could not lift because of lack of capital, or it could speed up on execution on the project pipeline. Buy and build.

Guest longinvestor

How Warren Buffett’s $16-Billion Bet on Bank of America May Change With Fed Stress Test

Stockpicker’s Berkshire Hathaway could become the U.S. bank’s largest shareholder through a share swap

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-warren-buffetts-16-billion-bet-on-bank-of-america-may-change-with-fed-stress-test-1498642203

Here we go https://finance.yahoo.com/m/0ff6af95-a46f-3db2-8b04-3a45d1a4b074/%5B%24%24%5D-berkshire-hathaway-to.html

Who's next? We have what you need! All you need to do is get in trouble.

How Warren Buffett’s $16-Billion Bet on Bank of America May Change With Fed Stress Test

Stockpicker’s Berkshire Hathaway could become the U.S. bank’s largest shareholder through a share swap

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-warren-buffetts-16-billion-bet-on-bank-of-america-may-change-with-fed-stress-test-1498642203

Here we go https://finance.yahoo.com/m/0ff6af95-a46f-3db2-8b04-3a45d1a4b074/%5B%24%24%5D-berkshire-hathaway-to.html

Well, somehow, I'll have to raise the hand. Are you worried about BRK pouring yet another USD 5 B into major US banks? - Or have I plain simply misunderstood your last post in some way? Or are your thoughts about two US major banks in a terrible adverse scenario, with BRK as an anchor investor, the two banks [WFC and BAC] draining BRK for cash?

Guest longinvestor

Well, somehow, I'll have to raise the hand. Are you worried about BRK pouring yet another USD 5 B into major US banks? - Or have I plain simply misunderstood your last post in some way? Or are your thoughts about two US major banks in a terrible adverse scenario, with BRK as an anchor investor, the two banks [WFC and BAC] draining BRK for cash?

Latter, BRK as the lender of last resort. For the investee, they get the capital without smartasses who tell them how to run their shop, or attach covenants and such. Of course it's an expensive coupon.It will be interesting to see how such deals come to Berkshire in the future. There will be folly and suffering in the future, that's for sure.

Guest longinvestor

Interesting display at the Annual meeting this year was a pre-built cabin. Something like a 400 sq ft one. Looked nice inside. Of course they had the usual Clayton home as well.

Didn't they also buy a "stick built" home builder in Colorado?  Sort of intriguing to me, given some prior comments he's made about his belief that the housing market will perform this year.  Bill Miller is really bullish on homebuilders too, if memory serves.

Didn't they also buy a "stick built" home builder in Colorado?  Sort of intriguing to me, given some prior comments he's made about his belief that the housing market will perform this year.  Bill Miller is really bullish on homebuilders too, if memory serves.

Clayton has been buying traditional site built homebuilders pretty steadily for a few years now.  Ever since they basically reached their limit as far as market share in manufactured homes goes.  Clayton has a very high market share of their industry when you include all the acquired marks.  The Colorado deal link is a few posts up I believe.  There is a big shortage of skilled carpenters in Colorado and a lot of other markets, which is constraining and slowing the homebuilding business.  But that can be a positive.  Seems like half the people I know are moving to Colorado these days.  Must be nice out there!  (or they're all potheads)

Guest longinvestor

Clayton has been buying traditional site built homebuilders pretty steadily for a few years now.  Ever since they basically reached their limit as far as market share in manufactured homes goes.  Clayton has a very high market share of their industry when you include all the acquired marks.  The Colorado deal link is a few posts up I believe.  There is a big shortage of skilled carpenters in Colorado and a lot of other markets, which is constraining and slowing the homebuilding business.  But that can be a positive.  Seems like half the people I know are moving to Colorado these days.  Must be nice out there!  (or they're all potheads)

Here's one more http://www.builderonline.com/builder-100/strategy/alabama-shakes-clayton-buys-birminghams-harris-doyle-homes_o

The Clayton acquisition is the fifth site-build company added to the nation's largest manufactured home builder, whose market share is 50% of the category, which accounts for seven in 10 homes priced below $150,000.

Guest longinvestor

The Western regional EIM is a pivotal development in the evolution of the utility world from the monopoly days. It's not a coincidence that the vast majority of BHE's assets are there. I read somewhere that the EIM is the face of the deregulation. I've been following the entry of BHE in the west and there's a lot of bickering from the incumbents. There are 38 regional regulators called the Bonneville power administration from the good ol days, plus the state's parochial interests colliding with market forces. Berkshire's billions and keeping rates low are massive disruption.

It would be a great question at the meeting next year. The backdrop of the huge investment in the west and these new developments like the EIM. What's the future etc.

• 3 weeks later...