gfp

• Last visited

• Days Won

gfp last won the day on March 3

gfp had the most liked content!

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

gfp's Achievements

Veteran

Veteran (13/14)

• Well Followed Rare
  • Conversation Starter
  • Dedicated
  • First Post
  • Collaborator

Recent Badges

1. Both of those were Warren's positions. It turns out he's not perfect.
  2. Well you can criticize Todd all you want but I wouldn't accuse him of "missing" Visa or Mastercard. He also boldly told both Charlie and Warren that Progressive was the better business vs. their beloved GEICO. Warren has said for many years that MSFT was on the 'do not invest' list because of this close friendship with Gates. Maybe that has changed more recently. Warren and Charlie met a lot of investors over their lifetimes. It was very hard to impress them. I can only think of 6 or so that they ever let touch any of their capital. Everything is going to be OK.
  3. black is Visa, a Todd pick from his first day at BRK. Apple was only Warren’s pick after it was Ted or Todd’s pick and he was convinced
  4. This chart is not super scientific but not a ton of permanent capital loss on the chart.
  5. Just keep in mind that interview is from late February. Not particularly recent.
  6. There are so many people like that. I've known several that made huge but variable incomes and could never come up with the cash to pay taxes in April. They would go to the boss or owner of the company asking for a loan to pay their f'ing taxes. Embarrassing.
  7. Oh man Greenberg is is feeling the heat from this new activist showing up in his shares and he's upping the dividend on day one to keep the old man happy https://investors.chubb.com/News--Events/news/news-details/2024/Chubb-Limited-Shareholders-Approve-31st-Consecutive-Annual-Dividend-Increase-Chubb-Limited-Board-Declares-Record-Date-for-First-Dividend-Installment/default.aspx
  8. That's right - this is mostly ACE Limited and ACE management runs the place (Evan Greenberg, Hank's son). They have been very acquisitive over a long period of time. It looks like Warren started buying it in 2023 at maybe $80 billion market cap and around 1.5x book value. News of the Berkshire investment pushed the market cap to around $110 Billion this morning so this is one of the short list of companies that was big enough for Warren to consider. Props to the person over at Barrons that narrowed down the list of potential candidates and guessed Chubb. I suspected it was insurance and not banking but didn't root around too much trying to figure it out.
  9. When I worked in the Insurance Brokerage business (as a 15-17 year old), Chubb was the carrier that insured all the rich people in my town. The ones with huge files of scheduled items and artwork. Among other important responsibilities, I was in charge of all of the files. Part of my duties was producing auto insurance ID cards on a typewriter. One mistake on a VIN number and you had to start over... The typewriter whiteout stuff made it look like the customer was trying to be shady so no whiteout allowed.
  10. He already had over 20m shares of Chubb at year-end so he will have a good gain on the position before tomorrow's 'Buffett halo' pop.
  11. Yes they did, but that's not news since they put out a press release each time they bought shares. https://www.fairfax.ca/press-releases/fairfax-announces-acquisition-of-additional-orla-shares-3/ https://www.fairfax.ca/press-releases/fairfax-announces-acquisition-of-additional-orla-shares-2/ https://www.fairfax.ca/press-releases/fairfax-announces-acquisition-of-additional-orla-shares/
  12. There was somebody at Barron's who guessed Chubb and that person was correct.
  13. If you are really looking for some confirmation bias just check in on David Tepper
  14. After a brief technical delay, the NAIC website is functioning again and the Q1 reports are trickling out. So far, for Odyssey Re, it looks like they sold $60m worth of Micron stock on 3/26 and purchased a Digit 10 year bond yielding 9.75% and an IIFL Finance 3 year bond yielding 9.5%, among other trades like Orla that we knew about. This is not for consolidated Fairfax like a 13F, this is just for the Odyssey Re entity Not sure if these will be legible so I am attaching the whole document. Trades are at the end. Purchases Sales 23680.2024.P.Q1.P.O.1.4769174.pdf