Short Ideas?

mcliu

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe some of the more enterprising equity analysts on the forum could go and sign up for yoga and do due diligence with a camera. If you get arrested, make it clear that you were not collecting "inside" information, and that transparency always helps support the bottom line.

Maybe some of the more enterprising equity analysts on the forum could go and sign up for yoga and do due diligence with a camera. If you get arrested, make it clear that you were not collecting "inside" information, and that transparency always helps support the bottom line.

Punny :)

Be careful how you phrase your defense .. "Officer, I'm 100% long so I have been following these attractive shorts for a while. Frankly, most of them are worthless. They need a correction".

The number #1 thing I wish could short would be the "pump & dump" scams that I'm being bombarded with.

A good example is ASUV & GNIN.  These companies are laughable.  One of them had like $15k in the bank, and almost $100k of sales.  Market cap was $100MM at the time.  What could possibly go wrong?

How these things don't end at ZERO or $.01 is beyond me...

The other short target would be Amazon.  They lose money on most transactions, but they are going to make it up on VOLUME! 

I am sure I could build a huge business selling dollar bills for $.95!

Sure, AMZN has some neat gizmos & such, but at the end of the day, they just sell whatever they can get their hands on.  They sell it cheap and give free shipping.  No worries about profiting, as the market lets the stock trade at 2X sales and 15X book. 

What could possibly go wrong with AMZN?

Find in attachment the HDGE ETF Market Commentary for March 2013.

giofranchi

“As time goes on I get more and more convinced that the right method in investment is to put fairly large sums into enterprises which one thinks one knows something about and in the management of which one thoroughly believes. It is a mistake to think that one limits one’s risk by spreading too much between enterprises about which one knows little and has no reason for special confidence.” - John Maynard Keynes

HDGE_PMCommentary_032013.pdf

Be careful how you phrase your defense .. "Officer, I'm 100% long so I have been following these attractive shorts for a while. Frankly, most of them are worthless. They need a correction".

+1

• 2 weeks later...

Ventas, Inc.

(NYSE:VTR)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2013/03/18/danger-zone-3182013-ventas-inc-vtr/

Simply put, the valuation of VTR is writing checks that the business cannot cash. To justify the current price of ~$70.46/share, VTR must grow NOPAT by 16% compounded annually for the next 18 years. Expecting that kind of growth from a company with declining margins and economic earnings is simply too risky.

Current price: $76.15

http://finviz.com/chart.ashx?t=VTR&ty=c&ta=1&p=d&s=l

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Problem with shorting is that you need an active catalyst. Otherwise shares could stay elevated for years. Tesla may be a good option now that it's up over 300% and the recent rally has likely been shorts covering the 45% of float they borrowed. Once theyre done covering, who is going tombuy at these prices???? Now may be a good time to initiate a small position. Have your stop loss set according to the loss you can afford to take though.

• 1 month later...
Guest wellmont

Another good short I missed out on were the marijuana companies that exploded with the thought that there would be legalization.

Why is this so hard to find shorts?

I missed this too. I was apparently too lazy, staying up all night eating pizza and watching old Led Zepplin concert movies on Netflix. :)

Another good short I missed out on were the marijuana companies that exploded with the thought that there would be legalization.

Why is this so hard to find shorts?

I missed this too. I was apparently too lazy, staying up all night eating pizza and watching old Led Zepplin concert movies on Netflix. :)

Funny, I picked up some shares of MJNA when it was trading at 4c/sh...more just to have fun with what as obvious sensational penny stock scam. Shoots up to 40c/share and to atone for the guilt i felt profitting on a scam penny stock I went educating everyone that its just a penny stock scam, don't get your hopes up, etc. etc. Hoefully some of the folks that bout at 20c got out without too much of a capital loss...