Did iPad 3 Live Up To The Hype?

Parsad
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, should warn anyone reading that there is a ton of nudity in Game of Thrones.  I would say it is one of the more risque shows I've ever seen on television.  But much of it fits the time and circumstance, so not ENTIRELY gratuitous!  ;D  Cheers!

Not to mention airplay allows me to transfer music and video files sitting on my iPhone or iPad to the Apple TV on to my television with the press of a button. This comes in handy when streaming new episodes of 60 Minutes on Sunday night.

Airplay was very nice, I must admit, although the inability to play flash videos on the iPad makes it not as useful as I would have liked after actually using the device for the weekend.

The Boxee box is intriguing to me because you can also use it to watch broadcast TV in addition to Netflix, HuluPlus, HBOGo, etc.  And Boxee apparently supports Airplay, so you can stream music and video to your TV from your MacBook.  There's also a watch later function so that if you find a video when you are somewhere else -- say at work --  you queue it up to watch later and then can watch it when you get home. 

The Roku box is also supposed to be very nice. 

I am a cord cutter, so I'm trying to figure out the best setup.  AppleTV is not it for now.  Maybe the iTV will be better.

I just use a Mac mini as my htpc, and it works pretty great.

You can take it from me on this one.  You really don't need Flash-enabled contents in your life.  Flash has been the culprit of the most recent virus and trojans spreading around.  On all of my personal computers at home and at work, I disable Flash completely.  The only company that handle Flash contents well have been Google.  Adobe is slowly embracing HTML5, and the whole industry is moving to HTML5.  So, your digilife will be better with HTML5.

As someone who troubleshoots website and software issues for a living, I agree with this. Flash is awful. It served it's purpose for a while, but there are now better alternatives.

HTML5 would be further along if Microsoft was capable of developing a decent browser. IE's support for HTML5/CSS3 is still far behind every other browser. Unfortunately, so many people are stuck using IE at work and are not given other options.

And ESPN & sports is really the only reason I still have cable. If I could get ESPN, TNT, TBS & the NFL Network online, I would cut cable immediately. I'm thinking about picking up an Apple TV too though. I'd love to be able to use it with the MLB package.

(Hm, topic hijack, hope it's ok.)

The Walking Dead is nowhere as good as Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Terrible acting and a weak script at various points in the show (especially in S02). Misses a certain level of character depth too. Tastes differ of course.

My all-time top (non-comedy) in random order:

Breaking Bad

Boardwalk Empire (reading Fortune's Formula atm and a lot of the mob members are represented in both the book and show  :))

The Sopranos

The Wire

Deadwood

OZ

Mad Men

Six Feet Under

Honestly, if you think Lost was good, go watch OZ, the sopranos, the wire and mad men.  You'll have a different taste for quality after those, I promise!

Btw, HBO's track record is so impressive that AMC will have to get a couple more hits to get on par, it's not even close now.

(Yes, I am a student with plenty of time to watch useless stuff and read all day.)

Not to mention airplay allows me to transfer music and video files sitting on my iPhone or iPad to the Apple TV on to my television with the press of a button. This comes in handy when streaming new episodes of 60 Minutes on Sunday night.

Airplay was very nice, I must admit, although the inability to play flash videos on the iPad makes it not as useful as I would have liked after actually using the device for the weekend.

The Boxee box is intriguing to me because you can also use it to watch broadcast TV in addition to Netflix, HuluPlus, HBOGo, etc.  And Boxee apparently supports Airplay, so you can stream music and video to your TV from your MacBook.  There's also a watch later function so that if you find a video when you are somewhere else -- say at work --  you queue it up to watch later and then can watch it when you get home. 

The Roku box is also supposed to be very nice. 

I am a cord cutter, so I'm trying to figure out the best setup.  AppleTV is not it for now.  Maybe the iTV will be better.

I just use a Mac mini as my htpc, and it works pretty great.

I thought about that, but I really don't need an htpc.  Didn't want to shell out the bucks for a Mac Mini, which is the only HTPC I would get.

I hate to tell you what else Boxee is enabling and streaming, but I am going to let you enjoy the device.  ;) ;)  It's a nifty little device, but make sure you have good network firewalls at home with Boxee around.

Haha, yes, I read about that.  Pretty risque on their part.

The Walking Dead is nowhere as good as Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Terrible acting and a weak script at various points in the show (especially in S02). Misses a certain level of character depth too. Tastes differ of course.

My all-time top (non-comedy) in random order:

Breaking Bad

Boardwalk Empire (reading Fortune's Formula atm and a lot of the mob members are represented in both the book and show  :))

The Sopranos

The Wire

Deadwood

OZ

Mad Men

Six Feet Under

Honestly, if you think Lost was good, go watch OZ, the sopranos, the wire and mad men.  You'll have a different taste for quality after those, I promise!

Btw, HBO's track record is so impressive that AMC will have to get a couple more hits to get on par, it's not even close now.

(Yes, I am a student with plenty of time to watch useless stuff and read all day.)

I like Breaking Bad and watched Sopranos all the time.  Mad Men is one of the most boring shows on television!  ;D  Watched the occasional episode of Oz.  Watch The Wire when I can.  I really liked Deadwood, but think Boardwalk Empire is a bit too plodding...great actors though.  Was very disappointed by Luck!  Had everything going for it, but incredibly slow paced except for the occasional racetrack scene.  The best thing about Luck were the four gambling buddies, and the show had Nick Nolte and Dustin Hoffman!  Cheers! 

You can take it from me on this one.  You really don't need Flash-enabled contents in your life.  Flash has been the culprit of the most recent virus and trojans spreading around.  On all of my personal computers at home and at work, I disable Flash completely.  The only company that handle Flash contents well have been Google.  Adobe is slowly embracing HTML5, and the whole industry is moving to HTML5.  So, your digilife will be better with HTML5.

As someone who troubleshoots website and software issues for a living, I agree with this. Flash is awful. It served it's purpose for a while, but there are now better alternatives.

HTML5 would be further along if Microsoft was capable of developing a decent browser. IE's support for HTML5/CSS3 is still far behind every other browser. Unfortunately, so many people are stuck using IE at work and are not given other options.

And ESPN & sports is really the only reason I still have cable. If I could get ESPN, TNT, TBS & the NFL Network online, I would cut cable immediately. I'm thinking about picking up an Apple TV too though. I'd love to be able to use it with the MLB package.

I hate Flash, but there are definitely times when I want to watch a video that simply won't run on an iPad.

Charlie Rose's website, for example, doesn't work on an iPad, although I think you can watch some of his stuff using the BloombergTV app.

Sports would be the only reason for me to have cable.  That I miss -- just being able to turn on the TV and find a game.

I like Breaking Bad and watched Sopranos all the time.  Mad Men is one of the most boring shows on television!  ;D

The Walking Dead seems to be moving away from the grimace fest it was under the previous showrunner.

Parsad probably saw the Mad Men episode where Don reads 3 chapters from The Alchemy of Finance. Mad Men starts slow and builds steam throughout the season.

The Walking Dead seems to be moving away from the grimace fest it was under the previous showrunner.

They also killed off their main antagonist in Shane.  But I think they are now going to cover alot more of the material from the graphic comic, as the last episode alluded to a couple of big things for next season.  I actually don't watch the show for the gore fest, but the character development...which I thought was pretty good.  It didn't have to be zombies...it could have been any sort of contagion...and then you watch what these people do to those around them and what they become...good or bad!  It just happened to be zombies in this comic!  ;D 

But hands down, Game of Thrones is awesome and I'm pretty jacked up to watch the new season starting this weekend.  When I'm not reading, then I'm watching sports or a few of these shows.  Cheers!

Parsad probably saw the Mad Men episode where Don reads 3 chapters from The Alchemy of Finance. Mad Men starts slow and builds steam throughout the season.

MadMen is one of the few shows that Mr and Mrs Maestro both like. It is not my favorite show, it is not her favorite show. But the marriage would not survive the torture of endless repeats of Sopranos and The Wire or Sex and the City for that matter.

And Mad Men's slow rhythm gives it the opportunity to build jaw dropping moments like this:

http://variantperceptions.wordpress.com/2012/01/20/the-carousel/

For the young members of this board: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carousel_slide_projector

I hate Flash, but there are definitely times when I want to watch a video that simply won't run on an iPad.

Charlie Rose's website, for example, doesn't work on an iPad, although I think you can watch some of his stuff using the BloombergTV app.

Sports would be the only reason for me to have cable.  That I miss -- just being able to turn on the TV and find a game.

Wow, I feel blessed for once I am in 100% agreement with DCG in each every words that he has written.  Amazing!

TxLaw, there is always an App to everything once you own an iPad/iPhone/iPod.  I think you might be able to get Charlie Rose on YouTube as well. 

I hate to tell you what else Boxee is enabling and streaming, but I am going to let you enjoy the device.  ;) ;)  It's a nifty little device, but make sure you have good network firewalls at home with Boxee around.

Haha, yes, I read about that.  Pretty risque on their part.

A long time ago during the Tech Bubble days, there used to be a company called DivX.  They were merchant of arms to that risque industry and survived the Tech Bubble by catering to that industry.  DivX survived and ended up being sold; my startup was struggling bc we were catering to that crowd... So, it's a sales strategy that a company has to make.

They also killed off their main antagonist in Shane.  But I think they are now going to cover alot more of the material from the graphic comic, as the last episode alluded to a couple of big things for next season.  I actually don't watch the show for the gore fest, but the character development...which I thought was pretty good.  It didn't have to be zombies...it could have been any sort of contagion...and then you watch what these people do to those around them and what they become...good or bad!  It just happened to be zombies in this comic!  ;D 

The only entertainment value I get from this show's glacial story line comes from yelling at the on-screen characters as they make consistently terrible choices.  The show is just not realistic enough for me to tolerate...  the zombie mayhem I can accept, but I can't suspend reality long enough to believe that there exists any random group of people who are collectively that stupid.

For me, it's a toss up between Breaking Bad and The Wire for best TV series ever.

The only entertainment value I get from this show's glacial story line comes from yelling at the on-screen characters as they make consistently terrible choices.  The show is just not realistic enough for me to tolerate...  the zombie mayhem I can accept, but I can't suspend reality long enough to believe that there exists any random group of people who are collectively that stupid.

For me, it's a toss up between Breaking Bad and The Wire for best TV series ever.

VAL, have you ever been through a zombie apocalypse?  No...nuff said!  ;D  Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

For those looking for a more advanced browser for your ipad, check out iCab. Great app! Very customizable, nice full screen mode, gestures, nice tab and bookmark management, speedy, dropbox integration, etc.

You can see what it looks like here:

• 2 weeks later...