Your annual expenditure poll

shalab
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I agree to each his own, but those that are spending these ridiculously low amounts on food obviously don't have children or anyone in the house that like there to be edible things around.  My kids like avocados and those are at least $2 or more each.  That would blow the $2 a day budget without anything else being consumed or anyone else in the house eating.  We don't eat extravagantly by any means, but just to eat out at a Friday's or something is $40-50 with the kids.

Are you buying organic avocadoes and where are you buying them from?  Where do you live as well.  I love avocadoes and I can usually buy five for $2.98 at Loblaws (Real Canadian Superstore).  Usually the organic ones are five for $4.98. 

I don't spend more than $30 a week on produce and for that I get bananas, asian pears, grapes, onions, garlic, ginger, avocadoes, celery, carrots, potatoes, fresh pineapple, cantaloupe, tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, romaine lettuce, jalapeno peppers and baby bok-choy...every week!  Naturally, I don't buy something if I still have some, so I usually get far more variety than I've stated above.  And that's going to Loblaws.  If you go to some ethnic or family produce stores, you can cut the cost by a third.  Cheers!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tremendous respect for people like StahleyP with his amount of dedication to achieve a certain goal. Everyone has to decide what balance is best for him.

Personally I have some of those habits as well. For instance, when in a mall I will automatically compare every product I'm buying and I'll convert the price against quantity (and to a much lesser extent quality). When I see a pizza for $4.5 and one for $1.5, I'll always take the cheapest as I doubt I'll enjoy the more expensive one 3 times as much as the cheap one. It doesn't make perfect sense but it's just something I do when looking at products. I drive a $2000 car because I doubt I need the comfort of a $10000 car just now. Especially since it doesn't take me to my destination 5 times faster, is 5 times saver or consumes 5 times less fuel.  :P

I plan on living with my parents for at least a couple of years after I graduate next year. I'll pay a fixed sum for living expenses and the rest I'll be able to save. It makes a big difference and I couldn't care less about the first years of total independence lost. When you think about what compound interest will do with your current savings it really isn't all that hard to stop spending on useless stuff.

Good habits!  Cheers!

I agree to each his own, but those that are spending these ridiculously low amounts on food obviously don't have children or anyone in the house that like there to be edible things around.  My kids like avocados and those are at least $2 or more each.  That would blow the $2 a day budget without anything else being consumed or anyone else in the house eating.  We don't eat extravagantly by any means, but just to eat out at a Friday's or something is $40-50 with the kids.

Are you buying organic avocadoes and where are you buying them from?  Where do you live as well.  I love avocadoes and I can usually buy five for $2.98 at Loblaws (Real Canadian Superstore).  Usually the organic ones are five for $4.98. 

I don't spend more than $30 a week on produce and for that I get bananas, asian pears, grapes, onions, garlic, ginger, avocadoes, celery, carrots, potatoes, fresh pineapple, cantaloupe, tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, romaine lettuce, jalapeno peppers and baby bok-choy...every week!  Naturally, I don't buy something if I still have some, so I usually get far more variety than I've stated above.  And that's going to Loblaws.  If you go to some ethnic or family produce stores, you can cut the cost by a third.  Cheers!

My wife does the shopping and insists on as much organic as possible.  I'm in the Washington DC area.  You are definitely getting a lot for your money.  Unfortunately (for me) much of ours comes from Whole Foods as she says that the regular stores don't have as wide a selection of organic produce and other foods.  Personally I find much of the organic foods lacking in, shall we say, tasting good, but I'm told that I need to be healthy and that I'm lucky someone is looking out for me and making sure I eat good.

Damn, the lemons were 98 cents each today.  You can't make tabbouleh without lemon though, so I just grin and bear it. 

$4 a pound for asparagus

$3 for a head of cauliflower

$2 a pound for tomatoes

Get the picture?  Eating healthy is more expensive. 

Pork loin was $2 a pound (didn't buy any, we went vegan for health reasons)

World is crazy.

I should get a discount from my health insurer.  Either that or Coca Cola should pay the health insurance for the people they're killing instead of my subsidizing them -- talk about external costs.

This is definitely THE funniest thread I have ever read on this board. Some of the comments are are almost inspired - like: " are you incarcerated", or "you must be a fun date". As a grizzled , but not yet totally demented member of the board, I would caution the young, overly abstemious members that shrouds do not have pockets ; but even more important than that is the fact that life is not a trial run. You only get one go at this, so if you can afford it, spend it. Travel, fine wine, beautiful women- or men, truffles, beautiful jewelry for the women, a fine home with all of the modern conveniences; those are just a tiny few of the things that make the capitalist system work. Since we are all capitalists on this board, we should not be trying to destroy the system by hoarding every penny. Consider reading "Silas Marner" if you haven't yet done so. Have a ball.

My wife does the shopping and insists on as much organic as possible.  I'm in the Washington DC area.  You are definitely getting a lot for your money.  Unfortunately (for me) much of ours comes from Whole Foods as she says that the regular stores don't have as wide a selection of organic produce and other foods.  Personally I find much of the organic foods lacking in, shall we say, tasting good, but I'm told that I need to be healthy and that I'm lucky someone is looking out for me and making sure I eat good.

Yeah, that will do it!  ;D  I remember Alnesh's ex-wife shopping at Whole Foods all the time, and he couldn't figure out how she could spend $1,100/month on groceries for 3 people!  I told him, I don't think my 5-year old niece eats that much does she?  Cheers! 

I should get a discount from my health insurer.  Either that or Coca Cola should pay the health insurance for the people they're killing instead of my subsidizing them -- talk about external costs.

I suspect that something of that nature will come to pass within the next 10 years.  Probably greater taxes on fast food and packaged foods, supposedly redirected to offset medical costs, but somehow find their way into the general expenditure coffer!

By the way, this whole fast food and soft drinks are killing our children thing falls into the NRA philosophy:  Guns don't kill people, people kill people...so Coca-cola doesn't kill people, but bad habits kill people.  They shouldn't tax fast food or soft drink manufacturers, just force them to limit portion sizes.  Cheers!

This is definitely THE funniest thread I have ever read on this board. Some of the comments are are almost inspired - like: " are you incarcerated", or "you must be a fun date". As a grizzled , but not yet totally demented member of the board, I would caution the young, overly abstemious members that shrouds do not have pockets ; but even more important than that is the fact that life is not a trial run. You only get one go at this, so if you can afford it, spend it. Travel, fine wine, beautiful women- or men, truffles, beautiful jewelry for the women, a fine home with all of the modern conveniences; those are just a tiny few of the things that make the capitalist system work. Since we are all capitalists on this board, we should not be trying to destroy the system by hoarding every penny. Consider reading "Silas Marner" if you haven't yet done so. Have a ball.

Fantastic Post! I love truffles!

Oh, I forgot to mention that even if you eat as healthily as possible and live as frugally as possible, you will probably only add about 10% to your lifespan. That 10% comes at the end, not in the first few decades. Who wants to die at 110 rather than 100 years of age ?  ;D

I agree Frank!  Life's too short not to enjoy what it has to offer some times.  Cheers!

Truffles aren't bad for you...just expensive!  I love them in my mushroom risotto!  I had a fantastic mushroom and chorizo omlette with black truffles at the Beverly Wilshire a few weeks ago as well. 

Eric, after reading this, how could you become a vegan?  ;D  Cheers!

Being 22 is very different than 32 which is very different than 42 which is very different than 52 which is very different than 62.

Which is why we need to look at age and family size adjusted spending. Using my suggested formula, a 25 year old single spending $10,000 is roughly equivalent to a 55 year old (family of four) spending $120,000. In this context, the $10,000 doesn't look so so crazy.

Its important to put everything into perspective. While we are alive in the material world, and we reach a point whre we can afford to enjoy the fruits of our labour I think it is ridiculous not to do so.

The key is to reach the stage where you feel your money is compounding at a rate that minus inflation and annual cash burn you are content with what you leave for your loved ones or society.

The problem I tend to see is when people that have minimal net worths and have no compounding mechanism either spend too much or too little. If you're making $20k a month in a safe job, you should at least enjoy life, because you will never really compound to greatness after taxes and inflation and good memories are extremely satisfying and motivating.

Some of my best memories have been on vacations or large family dinners at superb restaurants.

Agree with you completely. While it is important in the capital accumulation phase to make sacrifices, we want to be able to wean ourselves off the sacrifices as our financial situation improves. I have both experienced and seen it in others - where after many years of frugal living that it becomes difficult to shake it off. Don't underestimate the power of habit.

I know it is a bad example for a value investing forum but don't wait till you are 65 to buy a Ferrari (if that is what you desire and can afford it when you are younger).

Money should just be a means to an end but too many people forget and make it the end - which is why many seriously rich people still believe in ripping other people (especially shareholders) off. It's always good to have in mind when enough is enough.

Truffles aren't bad for you...just expensive!  I love them in my mushroom risotto!  I had a fantastic mushroom and chorizo omlette with black truffles at the Beverly Wilshire a few weeks ago as well. 

Parsad you missed the most exciting thing at the Beverly Wilshire: CUT By Wolfgang Puck.

It is the only 2 star Michelin Steakhouse in the world!

Menu:

http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/content/files/foodmenu_CUT%20MENU%20WEB%20Spring.pdf

Enjoy!

Parsad you missed the most exciting thing at the Beverly Wilshire: CUT By Wolfgang Puck.

Menu:

http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/content/files/foodmenu_CUT%20MENU%20WEB%20Spring.pdf

Enjoy!

I'll go next time.  We had an extravagant birthday brunch for my Mom's 60th at The Blvd downstairs, with a beautiful cake and everything.  The hotel was so busy that weekend because the Emmy Awards were on, and there were limos everywhere in their driveway.  Saw Seth Meyers from Saturday Night Live.  Tons of good looking women in their gowns everywhere! 

We had a great time, food was great, and the service is always terrific.  Whenever I'm in LA, I always go for breakfast or lunch there.  Not pretentious, food is good and the service is excellent.  Cheers! 

By the way, if anyone wants a peking duck we have 24 of them running around our yard.  And two geese in the freezer.  Before going vegan we were raising our own meat.  So we will still have meat sometimes, it's just going to be once every two weeks.  Last week I smoked a goose and we made momos out of it.

So every couple of weeks we eat a bird.

The funny thing is, I just put a .22 hole in the back of the head of our alpha rooster about 45 minutes ago.  My wife is outside with the children this very minute and plucking it.  My daughter got off the bus about 15 minutes after I shot it, then was walking back down the drive with me (two of the neighbor's kids were also walking with us).  So my wife says "hey kids do you want to see a dead rooster, I'm justing hanging it up now".  My daughter then says "Oh no, it's "bear", that one was my favorite".  Trouble was brewing -- we had three roosters and they are now competing for dominance.  "Bear" tried to attack my 3 yr old this afternoon when he was collecting eggs (which he then sells to his pre-school teacher to get cash to buy toys).

So a few life's lessons:

1)  sell eggs to get money.  Money buys toys

2)  retribution -- .22 in the back of the head if you get attacked

3)  meat doesn't come from the grocery store

4)  Rules can be broken when you make up the rules -- we're not vegan tomorrow night

Oh, I forgot to mention that even if you eat as healthily as possible and live as frugally as possible, you will probably only add about 10% to your lifespan. That 10% comes at the end, not in the first few decades. Who wants to die at 110 rather than 100 years of age ?  ;D

I couldn't agree more.

I couldn't agree more.

My wife is 44 and we found out this year that she is diabetic (type II).  She's not going to make it to 100 on candy bars.

Now we're finding out about using hulled barley as a rice substitute.  Fun stuff.

But I agree on not cutting corners on the food bill if you can afford it.  We're having chanterelle mushrooms for dinner tonight -- I hate those white button mushrooms even though they are 1/4 the cost.

Menu:

Enjoy!

I ate here in Singapore.  It was fantastic. 

I couldn't agree more.

My wife is 44 and we found out this year that she is diabetic (type II).  She's not going to make it to 100 on candy bars.

Now we're finding out about using hulled barley as a rice substitute.  Fun stuff.

Yes, changing your diet because of a specific medical condition is of course different.  But there is wisdom in this thread from both sides.

He who dies with the most money doesn't win; though he who has to work till the day he dies doesn't win either.  People need to find a balance that makes them happy.  I completely agree with the point of view that one should spend money on loved ones, vacations, good meals, etc.  You don't need the $2000 suit but one thing I've learned is that $10,000 when you're 22 is way more valuable than $100,000 at 32 and $1,000,000 at 42, all things being equal :)  Enjoy your youth and the money if you have it!  Go see some good concerts, go see the world.  You'll never get your youth back.

I've always been in the money management business but the last 3 years I've been doing it all on my own, semi-retired if you will.  I didn't necessarily choose this route but it has worked out for me so far, though each day brings new challenges.  I definitely don't consider this work while I did consider it work before.  I'm in my early 30's and couldn't imagine doing anything else. 

I just walked outside and there's two more roosters flopping around on the lawn.  She's in there wringing their necks bare handed right in front of the kids!  That's more than I was willing to do. 

"I'm doing all of them (the roosters) I just decided" she says.  I tell you... I married a tough lady.

I just walked outside and there's two more roosters flopping around on the lawn.  She's in there wringing their necks bare handed right in front of the kids!  That's more than I was willing to do. 

"I'm doing all of them (the roosters) I just decided" she says.  I tell you... I married a tough lady.

Your wife is killing dinner with her bare hands?  That's awesome. 

Screw Sarah Palin and her hunting with a gun!  Eric, your wife should run in 2012.  ;D  Cheers!

This is definitely THE funniest thread I have ever read on this board. Some of the comments are are almost inspired - like: " are you incarcerated", or "you must be a fun date".

Lol... Agreed!!

This one made my day:

I have a bare-hand wild boar killing technique that will save you a lot of money on food. PM me.

As far as I'm concerned I think the little things in life matter a lot actually and it's only when you add them up that you can frankly say that you've lived.

Given that I'm still a bachelor rituals like Friday night beers with my friends and the laughter that accompany them are an integral part of my life and I won't do without them if the purpose is just to save a little bit of money.

Those 2-3 beers (alright maybe 10 every now and then lol  ;D) can end up costing a serious penny when it gets out of hand but I did it when I didn't have money so I damn sure will do it now that I have money!!!

Unfortunately, everybody I ask tells me that I will probably stop doing it one day when the wife asks me where the F I think I'm going when she catches me trying to sneak out of the house to go have beers while a baby is crying in some room. But at the time I'm pretty sure other things will replace that like a nice vacation with said wife and baby, and I'll be happy to pay for that also when it comes I guess.

Your wife is killing dinner with her bare hands?  That's awesome.

I have a bare-hand wild boar killing technique that will save you a lot of money on food. PM me.

I think Eric should PM Hester to get techniques for his wife, roosters are so last year, I hear wild boar is the new thing  :D

Well the kids are going to be fine.  My daughter pulled some tail feather out of "bear" while he was hanging by his feet.  Now she's taped them to her bottom and she is pretending to be a rooster. 

Life is really funny.

My wife laughed at the Sarah Palin joke.  We don't have wild boar on the island but too many deer (that eat what we plant in the garden).  And it's deer season right this very minute as a matter of fact -- just need to buy a license online.  Only legal methods are modern firearm or archery -- not sure if strangulation is considered poaching.  That would be fun to contest in the courts -- enough publicity to launch her campaign?