Fairholme - cash outs

bookie71

Fairholme's tag line is "Ignore the Crowd," but I guess the question is how do you do that when your own investors are "the crowd"?

Great Point.

It's funny, because most investors on this board want their fund managers to run their fund with little consideration for short-term volatility and to maximize long-term gain.  Yet, when the manager actually follows that philosophy, the same investors are the first ones running for the lifeboats.  That perverse psychology is what makes running a fund very, very difficult unless you have longer term lockups. 

I bet.  If I were running a fund, I would definitely have lockups.

You must have fairly savvy partners to run your fund without lockups (I think I remember you saying that you don't have any lockups).

As far as fund suggestions: Wintergreen does offer a great fund but the expense ratio has kept me away.  AKREX is a fund I think very highly of.  Don't let the short term record trick you, he also ran FBR focus fund which has a tremendous track record.

It's funny, because most investors on this board want their fund managers to run their fund with little consideration for short-term volatility and to maximize long-term gain.  Yet, when the manager actually follows that philosophy, the same investors are the first ones running for the lifeboats.  That perverse psychology is what makes running a fund very, very difficult unless you have longer term lockups. 

I bet.  If I were running a fund, I would definitely have lockups.

You must have fairly savvy partners to run your fund without lockups (I think I remember you saying that you don't have any lockups).

Yes, most of our partners are very good.  I'm also very good on the client contact, as we keep an open door policy, and they are welcome to contact me anytime.  Often at times like we've seen, they just need someone to give them a little more perspective on what is happening, because there is just an enormous amount of noise to filter through. 

We run the fund fairly conservatively, because we don't have lockups.  It's concentrated (8-12 ideas), but we try not to have large coordinated bets.  We also operate with significant liquidity.  Cheers!