Nortel Accounting All Over Again!

Parsad

The original subject is "Nortel Accounting All Over Again", geez, why are you guys using this thread to explain way to value BRK?

You should give a little more respect to BRK and use another thread, no?   ;)

ECCO

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original subject is "Nortel Accounting All Over Again", geez, why are you guys using this thread to explain way to value BRK?

You should give a little more respect to BRK and use another thread, no?   ;)

ECCO

Quite agree.  Sanjeev, can you move Charlie's post and my reply to the Berkshire section under a new subject line: 2011 BRK valuation  Thanks very much.

Hi Guys,

I can only move entire threads, not individual posts within a thread. 

Perhaps, just start a new thread on the BRK board, copy and paste your comments, and either you or I can delete the BRK posts under this thread.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Coming back to CRM.

Others might have had that feeling before, but considering today's price (154$), and the actual situation of the company, it look to me that theses days look like the ultimate timing to short this pos. 

Some little company are coming more seriously in CRM field, small company like Microsoft, Google, etc.

I would not like to have to compete with them...

Disclosure: I own out of money jan 2013 puts.

Here's an exemple of what can happened when you play with the big boys.

Microsoft said today that it has committed $5.8 billion in incentives, training and tools for members of its Microsoft Partner Network to get accustomed to the new products and services and to encourage them to sell them to their customers.

Another area of focus: Dynamics CRM, an area where there’s stiff competition from Salesforce.com, plus longer-term CRM players like Oracle and SAP. Partners are being offered 40 percent of the sale of each new subscription to Microsoft Dynamics CRM. Microsoft is just a bit player in the online CRM world for now, but as history shows, it rarely stays in that position for long.

http://allthingsd.com/20110713/microsoft-offers-big-money-to-nudge-resellers-into-the-cloud/?reflink=ATD_yahoo_ticker

ECCO

• 1 month later...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/netapp-warning-sparks-fear-of-corporate-it-slump-2011-08-18?link=MW_home_latest_news

For those of us that are short salesforce.com, it looks the needle prick needed to pop this stock may nearly be upon us.  NetApp today noted a "dramatic slowdown" in business in July.  Given Salesforce's questionable treatment of accounting in the past, I'm not sure how Salesforce will massage this post-quarter slowdown, but they will have to face the music next quarter.  Given the lofty valuations of the stock, even a hiccup should hit the stock pretty hard.

Salesforce should sell for less than $75/share at best.  Unfortunately, I've sold our puts as there are "long" bargains available.  The upside on the puts is limited, but the upside on some of the stocks we continue to buy are unlimited.  Had to make that choice!  Cheers! 

If there is even a hint of a future sales drop in tonight's quarterly release, Salesforce will fall very quickly.  I plan on holding on to my puts for a bit yet as they are doing well in this environment.

I'm listening to the conference call now.  The same slick, relentlessly optimistic sales pitch.  (Of course, they lost money in the quarter.)  Claim that they saw no softening at all in demand.

CRM has a good product, a promising future, and I like Benioff (his book is a good read, by the way), but they spend a lot on sales and marketing, and have a tough time making a profit. At some point the stock's valuation has to come back to reality though.

• 3 weeks later...