Poll: Ignore user feature

omagh
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I have suggested in the past a solution to the growing board size...This would be an option for a user to "Follow" or "Subscribe" to certain members.  This would allow a user the option to view the full board, or filter for certain users' posts.

Hey Watsa, it's been a while where have you been?

Guest ValueCarl

This whole thread is a JOKE not to mention, FOS, like many of its writers.

Why? Because if any one of you has the time or interest to read every thread or post on this board, you need to get a life! As if those other various threads are disrupting your work at hand!

You can ignore any "subjects" you like on your own without fail by scanning.

Who makes Bronco God to slam LVLT in your small worlds filled with puffed up pride here? This is the guy with two kids he describes as "monsters." He needs to spend more time training those monsters into becoming good citizens, one might think. That will require him to read this BOARD less, and become a better father MORE!

WHOA!  >:(   

I have suggested in the past a solution to the growing board size...This would be an option for a user to "Follow" or "Subscribe" to certain members.  This would allow a user the option to view the full board, or filter for certain users' posts.

Hey Watsa, it's been a while where have you been?

Agreed. Been a while randian_hero...

Miss some of your always interesting posts/ideas. One of the few whose ideas i always looked into when i read them, if even for just a second. Hope life isn't keeping you too busy.

Cheers.

ValueCarl you are one of the more outspoken members and that's fine, I have no objection to that, but your attack on Bronco is a little over the top and unecessary. We all can get a little carried away at times and you might want to use the edit feature on your comments about his kids as I am sure the 'monster' remark that he made was in jest.

As has been said in previous posts, Sanjeev has the power to turf anyone who gets really obnoxous and has done so.

What I could really use though is a spell checker rather than an ignore button.

Guest ValueCarl

cwericb, I like your over the top comment because it relates to the over the top video(OTTV) experiences by global participants which will lead (3) to dominating the internet landscape, as I use it to slam Bronco back into the boards, for his smart ass comment about (3) inside this thread. He can ignore the subject entirely, unless he's concerned about others' buy interest being directed there and away from his own calls.

As for his children, I am sure they are individuals who will reflect his fine character for adding value to our world when their own time comes, if they're not old enough already. I meant no harm, except in the same way he meant no harm to me or others who write about (3) in the investment thread on this board. Any parent on this board knows full well that, it's damn hard work bringing up children with high standards that include favorable ethical conduct and moral behavior. That's just food for thought because I don't know Bronco's family at all, nor can I glean anything from what it meant except what was said. And, I am sure he doesn't need you to defend his comments elsewhere, either. He's a big boy, with very strong opinions on his own, I have witnessed.      

It's not impossible that, the deep value investor mentality will cause normally smart men, to miss the great rise that's in store for that name because it doesn't fit on normal "spread sheets" or value metrics tied to the "speed of recovery" which seems a near certainty from this perspective, inclusive of how much blasphemy value curmudgeons might think otherwise.  

You see what Bronco has started now!  ;D              

Try running Firefox, it gives you a spell checker everywhere.

Ha ha, you know what? I've been a firefox user for years and I only noticed this feature was turned on by default when I read this post.

Guest ValueCarl

And, you almost prove my point entirely, as well, cwericb. A traveler who is not interested in a subject matter posted on a "sign" during their journey, can avoid it like the plague whenever they choose. They do not have to hang their hats there, drop their coins in the boxes, or be annoyed by the people they consider as "misfit toys."

Then again, hiding those signs from their mind's eyes with some close button or corresponding feature could back fire by building a "consistency bias" instead. It might even be compared to being "closed minded."  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SH1j1luFOw  

I guess it remains naive of me to think that countries could ever get along, yet alone a group of many times, phantom people on a mostly anonymous "message board," appearing somewhat like this one. My apologies to Bronco for being a SOB!  ;) Oh yeah, and I hope my kids don't grow up like me!

Who remembers the obvious "short sellers" that were on the board that preceded this one?

Boy, some of you people would have needed therapy if you are around then lol..

having said that, I didnt have any real interest in the LVLT thread because its not on my radar so I obviously missed some entertainment there - going by what ive been reading here.

Lots of good posts as usual. 

You can ignore by simply not reading and moving to the next post.  Why add a layer of complexity to a great board.

+1

It's helpful if people are rigourous about confining discussions to particular threads so that it's easy to skim over the areas that are not of interest.  In that context, I am a little surprised about the comments about LVLT from some users.  Whether you believe that the LVLT discussion is fabulous or inane, it is nicely confined to a particular area which makes it either easy to find or easy to avoid.

SJ,

You've nicely pointed out how different the experience is using the web interface and the RSS reader interface.  In the web interface, the LVLT discussion is there for those who are interested in a single thread.  In the RSS reader interface, the LVLT discussion is there in its fabulously inane glory.  I would really like to find a way to mute that thread in RSS.

In RSS, you get to see everything on all the boards and threads, but it's becoming very noisy as the community grows.  I may just start using the web interface and looking for specific users.

It is also easy to simply ignore a particular user if that's what you deem to be appropriate.  I do not tend to do that because it's helpful to use the behaviour of even the worst ignoramus as a reminder of how not to conduct myself and how personality flaws can be harmful to making sound investment decisions.

Your dialogue with Harry Long was epic for sure.  "Ignore user" feature is a personalization to tune down the board noise -- no one is being deliberately censored to everyone else as some folks seem to think -- i.e. no one is being banned.  I just want to mute one or two users that I don't care to read.  If there are enough interesting comments pointing to a post by the muted user, that user can be turned back on momentarily and then re-muted.

IMO, Sanj has generally done a very good job of turfing the few incorrigibly disruptive personalities and ensuring that discussions do not deteriorate in a counterproductive manner.

SJ

Sanj has done a great job for many years on top of his day job.

Let me just nip this little subject in the bud.  We will not be implementing an "ignore" feature, nor will we be instituting a "recommend" feature.  I think both features are available on various message boards, and all they do is instill a degree of naivete and ignorance of the opinion of others...good or bad!  

The one thing I've always done is monitor the messages; instill a touch of civility; and try to foster a strong discussion on value investing and how it can influence one's life.  I think we've done a good job doing that, and it has been borne from the contributions of ALL members.

That being said, let me acknowledge the three members I get the most complaints about, and how I have to constantly monitor their messages!

The first would be Harry Long, whose ego is about as self-contained as a Kepco nuclear reactor.  While Harry's lack of decorum and common sense tend to rub people the wrong way, yours truly included, he does do terrific analysis and brings intriguing ideas to the attention of boardmembers.  If he could only focus more on the analysis, and less on the bravado, I'm sure both he and the board would be better off for it, and I would constantly not have to put my finger on the trigger!

The second member who tends to wear out his welcome regularly is ValueCarl.  I happen to know ValueCarl, and he's actually a completely harmless fellow, loving family man, and a good value investor.  I figured Carl could post here some time ago, so his wonderful family would enjoy a respite from his LVLT and conspiracy theories, yet it seems the board is suffering from a similiar fatigue.  I don't know anyone who knows more about the LVLT business, and Carl could teach the best investors in the telecom sector a thing or two about LVLT.  If he would focus on LVLT or other value investing ideas, rather than Sith Lords, Zionist warlords, Muslim radicals or how Rand Paul could save the United States, the board would be better off and so would Carl!

Finally, the last of the triumvirate is the punchy Bronco.  Bronco is a knowledgeable, published author who provides some answers, but plenty of invigorating questions for the board.  I think members find his inquisitive nature valuable, since it leads to some terrific discussions.  As well, he's endeared himself to the moderator of this board by his love for the most formidable sport in the entire history of mankind...hockey!  He's from Philly, so unfortunately I let his handicap slide more often I probably should.  Nonetheless, I'm sure Bronco has far more to add to this forum than subtract.

So there you have it.  Really we have no need for an "ignore" feature, nor a "recommend" feature, if we can get the three members above to converge their energies, rather than diverge the board membership.  I hope they realize the comments above are meant in jest and with a touch of candor...candor being the operative word!  Cheers!  

Sanjeev,

Thank you for providing this great value investing board! 

Although only a member for a few months, I have been reading the board since it began and probably have read the majority of the messages (with the exception of the LVLT thread and hopefully this will not be to my detriment). 

I have learned many things from each of the members you mentioned and appreciate their insights.  It would be unfortunate to say the least to lose any of these board members. 

woltac

The one thing I've always done is monitor the messages; instill a touch of civility; and try to foster a strong discussion on value investing and how it can influence one's life.  I think we've done a good job doing that, and it has been borne from the contributions of ALL members.

I can say you have done an amazing job of building a top notch community. My only comment is keep doing what you feel is right, its worked thus far.

Well said Sanjeev. We all appreciate the work you do to facilitate this meeting place.

After constantly following this board and its predecessor for 4 or 5 years now, it is funny how one starts to recognize the personalities associated with the various user names on this forum. I feel that I know some of the people here almost as well as I know as people I see every day.  I often regret that board members don't provide a short bio and perhaps a picture.

The first would be Harry Long, whose ego is about as self-contained as a Kepco nuclear reactor.  While Harry's lack of decorum and common sense tend to rub people the wrong way, yours truly included, he does do terrific analysis and brings intriguing ideas to the attention of boardmembers.  If he could only focus more on the analysis, and less on the bravado, I'm sure both he and the board would be better off for it, and I would constantly not have to put my finger on the trigger!

The second member who tends to wear out his welcome regularly is ValueCarl.  I happen to know ValueCarl, and he's actually a completely harmless fellow, loving family man, and a good value investor.  I figured Carl could post here some time ago, so his wonderful family would enjoy a respite from his LVLT and conspiracy theories, yet it seems the board is suffering from a similiar fatigue.  I don't know anyone who knows more about the LVLT business, and Carl could teach the best investors in the telecom sector a thing or two about LVLT.  If he would focus on LVLT or other value investing ideas, rather than Sith Lords, Zionist warlords, Muslim radicals or how Rand Paul could save the United States, the board would be better off and so would Carl!

Finally, the last of the triumvirate is the punchy Bronco.  Bronco is a knowledgeable, published author who provides some answers, but plenty of invigorating questions for the board.  I think members find his inquisitive nature valuable, since it leads to some terrific discussions.  As well, he's endeared himself to the moderator of this board by his love for the most formidable sport in the entire history of mankind...hockey!  He's from Philly, so unfortunately I let his handicap slide more often I probably should.  Nonetheless, I'm sure Bronco has far more to add to this forum than subtract.

Parsad, this was one EPIC post.  Thanks for keeping this message board going and we definitely do NOT need an ignore feature!

Try running Firefox, it gives you a spell checker everywhere.

Ha ha, you know what? I've been a firefox user for years and I only noticed this feature was turned on by default when I read this post.

Wow, I'm impressed that you can go years without noticing the feature. Not many posts or e-mails  without the red underline showing up for me. :(

Just a thought, how about other admins? I'm not sure if this was already discussed, or if it's possible.

We tried that on the old MSN board.  It was more work for me, not less.  The board and FFH dinner are not at the stage yet where I need an admin, but it probably isn't that far away either.  I'll approach this as time goes by, and add assistance only if it markedly improves everyone's experience...mine included!  Cheers!

I really dont see anything wrong with they this forum is run currently.

People, you have to realize, when you involve yourself in a somewhat open internet forum it isnt like going to a members only club that you have to pay for.

If someone is derailing threads, thats one thing - im sure some of you bring this up with Sanjeev but if its just someones opinion you dont like - especially if it differs from yours, then an open forum is prob not your cup of tea.

Having said that, some posters on here like to write long winded thesis type posts, others like to just put down their thoughts at that particular time - sometimes a combo of both.

Lets try not to take ourselves to seriously ;)