FNMA and FMCC preferreds. In search of the elusive 10 bagger.

twacowfca

• Replies 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fannie, Freddie CEOs to Get $3.4 Million Raises

LOLOLOL I think it's hilarious and so smart. FNMA is owned by shareholders....but they care more about getting profits back while the fed has no control to affect compensation plan. Very smart play from the CEOs #greed

More interesting filings:

Status conference next week to discuss Cacciapalle & Washington Federal's requests for limited discovery.

http://gselinks.com/Court_Filings/Cacciapalle/13-466-0055.pdf

http://gselinks.com/Court_Filings/Washington_Federal/13-385-0047.pdf

Initial Opening Brief for the Class Action Appeal:

http://gselinks.com/Court_Filings/Perry/14-5243-1560310.pdf

Looks like Tim Howard (ex-CFO, not the website guy) is filing a brief amicus curiae.

NOTICE OF INTENT TO FILE BRIEF AMICUS CURIAE IN SUPPORT OF APPELLANTS

Pursuant to D.C. Circuit Rule 29(b), Timothy Howard, the former chief financial officer of the Federal National Mortgage Association (a.k.a. Fannie Mae), hereby notifies this Court of his intent to file a brief amicus curiae in support of Appellants in this matter. All parties have consented to such participation.

It's too bad that this status conference is closed to the public.

This Court scheduled a status conference for July 7, 2015 at 1 p.m. Doc. 174 (June 29, 2014) (“June 29 Order”). The parties hereby notify the Court that they expect to discuss the following topics at the July 7 status conference: (1) the current status of the discovery authorized by the Court; (2) the current discovery schedule and the need for an additional extension of the discovery deadline; and (3) the timing of motions to remove the “Protected Information” designation from materials produced during discovery. In addition, Plaintiffs propose to discuss two additional topics: (4) the need for guidance from the Court regarding certain issues that have arisen during depositions, and are likely to arise at future depositions, including, for example, the propriety of certain instructions not to answer; and (5) Plaintiffs’ pending motion to stay briefing on the Government’s supplemental motion to dismiss.

Consistent with the June 29 Order, all attorneys who will appear for the parties have been admitted to the Protective Order in this case. Because the Court directed that the July 7 status conference shall be closed to the public, counsel for the parties in this case has not made arrangements for attorneys for the plaintiffs in related cases to listen to the status conference via telephone. The Government requests that a telephone line be made available for Katherine Brandes, counsel from the Department of the Treasury, to listen to the status conference.

http://investorsunite.org/iu-hosts-teleconference-to-provide-update-on-fannie-freddie-litigation/

IU Hosts Teleconference to Provide Update on Fannie, Freddie Litigation

WASHINGTON, D.C.—On Thursday, July 9 at 2:30pm EDT, Investors Unite Executive Director Tim Pagliara will host a teleconference to update Investors Unite members and the media on the most recent developments in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac investors’ efforts to enforce their rights as shareholders in the GSEs.  Pagliara will be joined by Matthew D. McGill, partner at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher representing Perry Capital, and Richard Epstein, the Laurence A. Tisch Professor of Law at New York University, senior fellow at the Hoover Institution of Stanford University and professor emeritus and a senior lecturer at the University of Chicago. 

To join the teleconference, please RSVP to media@investorsunite.org.

WHO: Tim Pagliara, Investors Unite Executive Director, CapWealth Advisors Chairman and CEO

Matthew D. McGill, Partner, Gibson Dunn and Crutcher

Richard Epstein, New York University Law Professor, Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution, professor emeritus and a senior lecturer at the University of Chicago

WHAT: IU Hosts Teleconference to Provide Update on Fannie, Freddie Litigation

WHEN: July 9, 2015 at 2:30pm EDT

DIAL IN: (800) 230-1951

Confirmation: 364133

RSVP:  Please RSVP to media@investorsunite.org

So, this happened...

The status conference scheduled for Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 1:00 p.m. EDT in the above-captioned case is VACATED. The court will contact the parties to reschedule the status conference and will issue an order setting a new date and time. IT IS SO ORDERED.

...and this...

Full docket text for document 186: **SEALED** ORDER granting limited relief as to [162]. Signed by Judge Margaret M. Sweeney. (ta) Copy to parties.

Document #162 was the motion for unsealing the DeMarco & Ugoletti depositions.

...and this...

Full docket text for document 186: **SEALED** ORDER granting limited relief as to [162]. Signed by Judge Margaret M. Sweeney. (ta) Copy to parties.

Please forgive my ignorance but what is the significance of this, if any?

...and this...

+1

From Merkhet's post, it sounds like it could be really bad or really good :P

...and this...

+2. Why cant legal speak be straight forward?

If it was straightforward, lawyers couldn't charge a thousand dollars an hour. ;)

orthopa, probably a decent chance that the NY Times has a shot of getting it unsealed -- much will depend on how Sweeney comes out on the original motion from Fairholme to unseal the depositions though.

As for the filings today, my best guess is that Sweeney decided to allow for the Ugoletti & DeMarco depositions to be filed under seal with the Perry court for the purposes of the appeal. Mostly, I think this is because there's really no reason for her not to do so -- though I'm sure the government would have liked to come up with a few.

The government has yet to respond to the original motion to unseal those depositions (their response isn't even due until 7/13/2015) so there's no way for Sweeney to have granted relief in favor of the government, and if she had done so, the wording would be different. (See the screenshot in the linked tweet above.) The remaining fight will be whether there is a public unsealing or not.

As for the status conference, I have no idea if that came from Sweeney or if it came from the parties. If it came from Sweeney, it could be all kinds of reasons (sickness, double-booked, etc.) but if it came from the parties, then... my bullish guess is for settlement talks.

And, of course, my standard disclaimer that I'm the guy who thought that Perry's case in Lamberth's court would have decided this in shareholders' favor back in September of last year.

If it was straightforward, lawyers couldn't charge a thousand dollars an hour. ;)

orthopa, probably a decent chance that the NY Times has a shot of getting it unsealed -- much will depend on how Sweeney comes out on the original motion from Fairholme to unseal the depositions though.

As for the filings today, my best guess is that Sweeney decided to allow for the Ugoletti & DeMarco depositions to be filed under seal with the Perry court for the purposes of the appeal. Mostly, I think this is because there's really no reason for her not to do so -- though I'm sure the government would have liked to come up with a few.

The government has yet to respond to the original motion to unseal those depositions (their response isn't even due until 7/13/2015) so there's no way for Sweeney to have granted relief in favor of the government, and if she had done so, the wording would be different. (See the screenshot in the linked tweet above.) The remaining fight will be whether there is a public unsealing or not.

As for the status conference, I have no idea if that came from Sweeney or if it came from the parties. If it came from Sweeney, it could be all kinds of reasons (sickness, double-booked, etc.) but if it came from the parties, then... my bullish guess is for settlement talks.

And, of course, my standard disclaimer that I'm the guy who thought that Perry's case in Lamberth's court would have decided this in shareholders' favor back in September of last year.

Thanks merkhet. So you're saying that the limited relief was granted for the other case? Or that this is your best guess? What other situations can it be granted for? I was under the impression that limited relief meant selective parts of the depositions are going to be unsealed to the public.

It's merely a guess based on the description.

I find it unlikely that Judge Sweeney would unseal the deposition without hearing a response from the Govrernment for why they might "roil the financial markets."

As for filing the documents under seal in the case before the appeals court, though, it would seem that there would be absolutely no reason that one court should not have access to the documents another court has in its possession. That makes it the most likely candidate for the limited relief.

I find it unlikely that Judge Sweeney would unseal the deposition without hearing a response from the Govrernment for why they might "roil the financial markets."

As for filing the documents under seal in the case before the appeals court, though, it would seem that there would be absolutely no reason that one court should not have access to the documents another court has in its possession. That makes it the most likely candidate for the limited relief.

What if we had an unseal before there was a rebuttal....what if.

What if we had an unseal before there was a rebuttal....what if.

You actually don't want that to happen. The problem with blackmail is that it's always the threat of exposure that causes the action -- if the exposure happens, there's no reason why the Administration won't just decide to wait out the full trials to see whether they are redeemed with a favorable ruling.

Former Delaware Chief Justice files amicus brief Fannie/Freddie sweep suit Calls Treasury’s seizure of profits illegal.

Former Chief Justice... very nice!

People that have filed Amicus Briefs on our behalf: a former state chief justice, a former FDIC chief counsel, a former FDIC chairman, and a former Fannie Mae CFO.