FNMA and FMCC preferreds. In search of the elusive 10 bagger.

twacowfca

https://www.ft.com/content/617d11e0-2fb0-11e9-8744-e7016697f225

"One person who has been consulted on the administration’s thinking said: “They want bipartisan support, but they know that is going to be difficult, especially with so many Democrats running for president. But there are plenty of things they can do without Congress giving its support.”"

• Replies 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Calabria has said "well capitalized" at least a dozen times so far.

Question from committee member: Your thoughts on what Congress should do about this (Fannie/Freddie in general, wide open question)?

First thing Calabria said "I believe regulator can make number of changes to make stable footing to minimize losses in the inevitable next market downturn."

He has quoted Shelby at least twice (maybe more): "never seen an institution fail that was well capitalized, well regulated, well managed..."

More rough quotes...

"2 large institutions with zero capital is my concern.  Very concerned to have large orgs without adequate capital."

"get rid of privatized gains and capital losses, need to be well capitalized."

"For any additional capital to be raised requires an agreement."

"I support the concept of having significantly more capital at the GSE's."

He more or less punted when asked what he thought of Otting's comments a few weeks ago to FHFA staff.  He said he thought it was just a pep talk, that he was trying to help with morale.  I wish Calabria would have said something better, but perhaps he simply wanted to say nothing at all. 

reading between calabria's lines, seems to me that he would be satisfied with fhfa's proposed and moelis blueprint's capital level

I think he still would prefer bank-like, but he said that he won't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Now we will see if he'll address how we get from here ($6B) to there (~$175B).

He said that the GSEs should be well-managed, well-capitalized, and well-regulated, and that they were none of those before the crisis.

This is taken out of context. He says since he was selected as FHFA nominee in Fall, he has recused himself from any discussion to stay independent. This doesnt imply that there isnt a plan out there. Great political answer to dodge that question. 

Fannie confirmed in its 10-k today that an admin plan is coming in early 2019.

Van Hollen (regarding Otting's comments): "You don't know of any plan, correct?"

Calabria: "Correct."

That's concerning.

This is taken out of context. He says since he was selected as FHFA nominee in Fall, he has recused himself from any discussion to stay independent. This doesnt imply that there isnt a plan out there. Great political answer to dodge that question. 

Van Hollen (regarding Otting's comments): "You don't know of any plan, correct?"

That's concerning.

Good point.  Didn't mean to mislead, just typing as quickly as I can while listening to this hearing.

That's concerning.

He needs to show independence or independent judgment. In my view, that was a good answer given the circumstances. We know *his* plan is well capitalized institutions. And that he leaves competition and charter issues to Congress, which may never get done.

Guest cherzeca

assuming that low income housing goals will be continued (statutory) and any statutory change to introduce additional guarantors for increased competition will also include these obligations, does anyone really believe that there will be eagerness among financial institutions to jump into this market and be subject to these obligations?  I think competition is a big picture objective which will be very hard to practically implement. 

Calabria seems extremely smart and forceful.  If confirmed, imo, he will drive the outcome leading both Tsy and Congress.  If he makes it in, I think he will check many of his libertarian leanings at the door in order to try to get things done.

I believe the original plan coming into this year was likely changed - rather than Otting get any ball rolling, the pushback from his taped comments and/or further clarification on the legal front post the 5th circuit session probably led to a pause.  Calabria is a black belt and thus would theoretically have more gravitas on any potential big actions vs. Otting.

I guess we now wait until either Calabria is voted on and/or the 5th circuit ruling.

Guest cherzeca

Calabria seems extremely smart and forceful.  If confirmed, imo, he will drive the outcome leading both Tsy and Congress.  If he makes it in, I think he will check many of his libertarian leanings at the door in order to try to get things done.

I believe the original plan coming into this year was likely changed - rather than Otting get any ball rolling, the pushback from his taped comments and/or further clarification on the legal front post the 5th circuit session probably led to a pause.  Calabria is a black belt and thus would theoretically have more gravitas on any potential big actions vs. Otting.

I guess we now wait until either Calabria is voted on and/or the 5th circuit ruling.

I don't know if you are right about Calabria leading treasury, but in any event having a guy as fhfa director who believes the NWS is illegal (and an impediment to fixing GSEs) is a good thing

I don't know if you are right about Calabria leading treasury, but in any event having a guy as fhfa director who believes the NWS is illegal (and an impediment to fixing GSEs) is a good thing

How do the court cases get affected once Calabria is confirmed? Having a FHFA director - who believes that the NWS is illegal - defend it in court seems odd. Wouldn't something have to give?

It's like Otting changing FHFA's mind about the constitutionality of its leadership structure, only much more profound because the NWS is the central issue in all the cases.

Guest cherzeca

How do the court cases get affected once Calabria is confirmed? Having a FHFA director - who believes that the NWS is illegal - defend it in court seems odd. Wouldn't something have to give?

It's like Otting changing FHFA's mind about the constitutionality of its leadership structure, only much more profound because the NWS is the central issue in all the cases.

I have been thinking about that.  once Calabria is fhfa director, I don't know how he can tell fhfa attorneys to back off defending NWS without also causing the entire senior pref balance to vaporize...plus some $19B of overage paid to treasury.  so before he makes that move, all of the admin plan steps had better be "signed off" by everyone!

just because he said something a long time ago doesn't mean he'd act on it as FHFA director.  He walked back many things he wrote years ago in today's hearing.

it appears Crapo, Mnuchin/Phillips, and Calabria are somewhat close to each other regarding views.  That leaves the Democrats.  It's likely that if he is confirmed, Calabria - rather than Tsy - stands the best chance to get them on board and get something through Congress, which per their comments is the goal and permanent.  Why would the Democrats go along? perhaps because if they don't play nice then all those reassuring comments Calabria made to the Democrats today could go out the window and back somes Cato-calabria.  but this is all speculation, we'll see if he makes it through confirmation first.

Calabria himself also said that "The powers of the conservator have to conserve the assets and preserve the assets of the companies' during the hearing. Seems like he still agrees w/ his paper.

you might notice that in crapo's opening he did say that the conservator had a "mandate" to conserve and preserve