Shōgun - James Clavell

Xerxes

I have made aware of James Clavell’s epic 6-book Asia series for more than 15 years ago. Never got around to it till now. 

The first is called Shōgun. After I found out last year that Disney/Hulu was producing a televised version, I bought the first book. And started reading in October 2023.

It is 1,100 pages long and I am closing to page 700. 

it is very complex story with a diverse cast of characters, which at one point you get to see on a recurring basis so get used to it. So it does get easier. The backstories is told in piecemeal during conversations at then present day, and you get to understand the “plan within plans” and shifting loyalties. 

I also watched the first two episodes on Disney, it was absolutely amazing to see all the highlights of what I read depicted on live TV. Really good adaptation in my opinion. 

IMG_0622.thumb.jpeg.77915fae1257a47a0005106e71980875.jpegIMG_0621.thumb.jpeg.2116a6ba1f04b8cbd50bfda4595f40d9.jpeg

Edited by Xerxes

I remember when the original Shogun (1980s make?) made its way to Uzbekistan in mid-90s. All of my friends and I were glued to the TV for every episode. It will be the same way for this series as well. The production quality here is very high. I didn't realize it was based on a novel so will get it on Kindle.

• 1 month later...

Finished the book. The last few pages cover like 10 years or so. 

The show is at episode 9. One more to go. Episode 8 and 9 were straight from the book (with minor changes that made it better). It is incredible to see how the producers were able to create a show based on such complicated book without oversimplifying it. 

Reading this book I have learned more about Japanese people in that era, culture wise than the past 25 years of my life reading history books about Asia. 
This novel somehow seeps in all the cultural nuances that gets missed just by reading history books. 

I think I will read Tai-pan next that deals with merchant families in Hong Kong. 

According to Wiki:

Four of the six books—Tai-Pan, Gai-Jin, Noble House, and Whirlwind—follow the dealings of the great trading company Struan's, the Noble House of Asia (based on Jardine Matheson Holdings Limited), its founder Dirk Struan, and his various descendants. Gai-Jin provides the major link between the Shōgun and Struan's storylines.

40 minutes ago, Xerxes said:

Finished the book. The last few pages cover like 10 years or so. 

The show is at episode 9. One more to go. Episode 8 and 9 were straight from the book (with minor changes that made it better). It is incredible to see how the producers were able to create a show based on such complicated book without oversimplifying it. 

Reading this book I have learned more about Japanese people in that era, culture wise than the past 25 years of my life reading history books about Asia. 
This novel somehow seeps in all the cultural nuances that gets missed just by reading history books. 

I think I will read Tai-pan next that deals with merchant families in Hong Kong. 

According to Wiki:

Four of the six books—Tai-Pan, Gai-Jin, Noble House, and Whirlwind—follow the dealings of the great trading company Struan's, the Noble House of Asia (based on Jardine Matheson Holdings Limited), its founder Dirk Struan, and his various descendants. Gai-Jin provides the major link between the Shōgun and Struan's storylines.

thought shogun the best of that lot.  think King Rat , believe his first book, and have read/enjoyed it.  also the old King Rat movie that is in black and white is enjoyable.

8 hours ago, mjm said:

thought shogun the best of that lot.  think King Rat , believe his first book, and have read/enjoyed it.  also the old King Rat movie that is in black and white is enjoyable.

Thanks. 
I was actually to skip King Rat as it was his first published one and no major history arc in it. 

9 hours ago, Xerxes said:

Thanks. 
I was actually to skip King Rat as it was his first published one and no major history arc in it. 

watch the movie if you can.  believe main character is a young George Seigel