Market expectations vs CoBF expectations

Market expectations vs CoBF expectations   

26 members have voted

1. 1. How will Fairfax’s equity portfolio do over the next 5 years?

• Less than 0%
    • 0-5%
    • 5-10%
    • Greater than 10%

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/2024 at 03:11 AM

I tend to agree.  There has been enough examples of valuation extremes over the last couple of years to suggest to me that the market is becoming less efficient rather than more so.  This aligns with the view that it is passive (dumb) capital that is sloshing around.  Throw in leverage and a speculative element and you have the underpinnings of some of these valuation extremes.  This has created a lot of opportunities as is evidenced by some of the stellar performances by CoBF board members.

As discussed at length, if Fairfax can move up in quality i.e. GARP then they should do 10%+.  Looking at their current portfolio I would say they have a fair shot at doing this with their Greek and Indian  exposure.  Who knows even OXY might be able eke out 10%+.  There is an asymmetry to that investment with Berkshire providing a $55 put that is appealing.

2 minutes ago, nwoodman said:

As discussed at length, if Fairfax can move up in quality i.e. GARP then they should do 10%+.  Looking at their current portfolio I would say they have a fair shot at doing this with their Greek and Indian  exposure.  Who knows even OXY might be able eke out 10%+.  There is an asymmetry to that investment with Berkshire providing a $55 put that is appealing.

That’s interesting. I think quality tends to trade in or above its intrinsic value range if the underlying is very liquid and has predictable earnings streams. I think picking idiosyncratic ideas from everything left over has a good chance of success.