Suez Canal Shipping

Saluki

After the Houthi attacks in the Red Sea, some of the larger carries like Maersk announced they would sail around Africa and avoid the Suez canal.  One of the reports I saw stated that insurance, at the time, on cargo ships had gone from 1% of cargo to 2% for non-israeli ships.  Some people saw this as a move by Maersk, which had overbought containerships during the pandemic, to try to artificially raise rates by conjuring up a reason to avoid the Suez. 

After the US and others announced they were sending patrol ships, thing appeared to go back to normal, but now Maersk says they are avoiding the Suez again after the latest attack and the fact that Iran is sending what they call a destroyer (but is more likely  what other people would consider a Frigate or possibly even a Corvette). 

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/02/oil-prices-rise-as-iranian-warship-enters-red-sea-.html

What I find interesting is that 1% -> 2% insurance isn't a huge deal, but now that the west and the houthis and now Iran are sending ships to the region, maybe insurance companies can argue that it's a war zone and deny insurance claims altogether.  Then that would dry up shipping even faster than the piracy issue.  Talk about the law of unintended consequences: you send warships to make ships feel safe, but your warships are responded to by more warships and now the shippers want to avoid it because they will eat the loss if the insurers use your warships as an excuse.  

Anyway, thought this might deserve it's own post.  Moving around Africa to Europe adds from 2 weeks to 21 days depending on the speed of the ship and since about 1/4 of ocean freight goes through this canal, it should have a big effect on shipping rates.  Anyone want to chime in?

• Like 1

I ll just add that Panama Canal also has some issues related to lack of fresh water that is usually used to lift the ships in the docks. 

So these uncorrelated issues are just compounding on each other. 

45 minutes ago, Xerxes said:

I ll just add that Panama Canal also has some issues related to lack of fresh water that is usually used to lift the ships in the docks. 

So these uncorrelated issues are just compounding on each other. 

Yes, for reasons I don't completely understand, the Panama Canal uses fresh water from a nearby lake to operate the system and drought and climate change have depleted the water coming in. 

https://ctmirror.org/2023/08/27/the-panama-canal-is-running-out-of-water/

I've seen that they are allowing fewer ships through and charging higher rates.  One beneficiary (besides shipping companies that benefit from higher charter rates if they have to sail around south america, appears to be the Canadian Pacific Railway.  According to the article, they own half the railway that can be used to ship goods overland if you can't use the canal.  Haven't looked at Railways, but it seems to be a good business for Berkshire.  They were terrible until they consolidated and the regulations changed which allowed the RRs to charge higher rates. BRK timed it perfectly. 

The only way this works, is if old Panamax tankers are used (small). It really means that Panama water restrictions, have made the markets for sea-borne ME crude much more restricted, and why the Saudi's reduced prices on February deliveries to Asian buyers. It also highlights why hostilities in the Red Sea are useful, as the expected risk premium hedges the price cuts. 

SD

• 1 month later...