Moral philosophy transplanted from Disney thread

nafregnum

But to get into the ,,religious,, corner a bit. When i walk through austrian mountains, see the stars, it makes me wonder and admire how amazing this universe is. I also feel part of something bigger, but its not as simple as some religions make it.

19 minutes ago, Luca said:

They freak out because they know very well that they lost a lot of money, in theory. Why is charly munger not anxious? Because he understands there is nothing to fear. Why is the average investor anxious? Because there is a real reason for his fear ergo-->he might have gotten something wrong and lost a lot of money/ressources.

Might point with that part is that it makes a ton of sense for people to override the fear instinct and act more rationally. Same can be said for things like charity or any other "moral good". 

13 minutes ago, Luca said:

But to get into the ,,religious,, corner a bit. When i walk through austrian mountains, see the stars, it makes me wonder and admire how amazing this universe is. I also feel part of something bigger, but its not as simple as some religions make it.

I think it's all very simple and people make it way more complicated than it needs to be (kind of like investing!).

For me, my basic premise is that I believe moral truths exist. So an action can be wrong even if a society agrees with the action. If that is the case, materialism (ie atheism) cannot be true. There has to be something more than just material. Admittedly, I might be under just a grand illusion. 

So, we can go through the other worldviews and see which one lines up most with that moral truth observation. That brought me to Christianity. Jesus was either resurrected or not. That's a very simple question. 

3 minutes ago, stahleyp said:

Might point with that part is that it makes a ton of sense for people to override the fear instinct and act more rationally. Same can be said for things like charity or any other "moral good". 

You cant ,,override,, your fear instinct, some people get more experienced and therefore dont get anxious as quickly (extreme mountaineers etc). Any normal person wouldnt even get on the mountain to begin with, for rational reasons. 

Yes, people who engage into religion do it for rational reasons-->their own interests.

2 minutes ago, Luca said:

You cant ,,override,, your fear instinct, some people get more experienced and therefore dont get anxious as quickly (extreme mountaineers etc). Any normal person wouldnt even get on the mountain to begin with, for rational reasons. 

Yes, people who engage into religion do it for rational reasons-->their own interests.

Yes you can. I do it. I feel the "need' to sell at market bottoms but I override it. It's worked out well. I read a book around 2006/2007 from Jason Zweig and that really helped me understand how my evolutionary instincts were tricking. 

Edited by stahleyp