Portfolio manager

beerbaron

Well, it's the end of the year and I came to realize that my good old excel spreadsheet might not be the most efficient tool to track my portfolio and my results. I have looked at Google's portfolio manager but it only tracks the stocks themselves. Not the dividends paid, money inflow/outflows. Anybody has a suggestion on a good free website/software that would do the job for me?

BeerBaron

Well, it's the end of the year and I came to realize that my good old excel spreadsheet might not be the most efficient tool to track my portfolio and my results. I have looked at Google's portfolio manager but it only tracks the stocks themselves. Not the dividends paid, money inflow/outflows. Anybody has a suggestion on a good free website/software that would do the job for me?

BeerBaron

Yahoo! Finance actually has a pretty good portfolio tracker.  It doesn't do dividends explicitly, but you can enter them as interest income and it's treated more or less the same way.  The only problem I've had with it is it tends to blow up when you have a stock that splits or changes symbols (FFH is a good example actually), but you can just go back and manually adjust your basis and other details to reconcile. 

Hi,

I use Microsoft Money 99 to log all the details for transactions including dividends ( I manually enter the data instead of having the program pull it from websites). I have been using the software to track a range of stocks and mutual funds for the last five years. The best feature about the program is the ability to pull transaction data very easily into excel. In addition, the money program can get online and pull recent stock quotes and mutual fund quotes.

One spreadsheet I create and constantly update is my current stock positions and weightings. With one press in excel it will go to the money program and pull the data to update your current positions. Also at year end, I calculate cumulative returns in my various accounts. You can pull specific transaction data for certain accounts and then crunch through the data with excel formulas to calculate cumulative returns in which ever way you want. I prefer calculating my returns then relying on Microsoft Money's approach.

It's not super high tech, but it fits my needs and is customizable through the excel feature.