Best Finance Movies?

porcupine

MONEYBALL

Funny, I thought that was about baseball.

Serious?  Just a baseball movie?

If you're a value investor you can draw some parallels to value investing in your head. But really it's a baseball movie, not a finance one despite the fact the fact that Michael Lewis wrote the book. What's next? The Blind Side as a great finance movie?

Michael Lewis writing it is irrelevant.  The whole movie is about two guys trying to approach a game/business with a rational, value oriented approach—and the establishment’s resistance to them.

More finance in Moneyball than some movie with guys trading stocks and waving money around in a strip club or buying fancy cars.

And The Blind Side is about the power of charity and motherly love. But I guess you’ll tell me it’s about football.

Michael Lewis writing it is irrelevant.  The whole movie is about two guys trying to approach a game/business with a rational, value oriented approach—and the establishment’s resistance to them.

More finance in Moneyball than some movie with guys trading stocks and waving money around in a strip club or buying fancy cars.

And The Blind Side is about the power of charity and motherly love. But I guess you’ll tell me it’s about football.

Well finance has a lot to do with guys trading stocks and waving money around in a strip club or buying fancy cars.

I'm a big fan of Scarface 8)  Unmatched in timeless wisdom - "In this country, first you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the women..."

Or take that quote from the Sopranos, explaining how the Mafia works:

“ Shit flows down, money flows up!”

But this doesn’t just apply to the Mafia, IMO. I wish I had known that when entering the work force.

Tony was a bad businessman. Typical overambitious CEO, reminds me of Enron or AIG. Now, Stringer Bell, that's my kind of criminal. Could've been a CEO for PM or MO.

"I know; shit is weak, but, y’know, shit is weak all over. The thing is, no matter what we call heroin, it’s gonna get sold. Shit is strong, we gonna sell it; shit is weak, we gonna sell twice as much. You know why? ‘Cause a fiend, he gonna chase that shit no matter what. It’s crazy, you know. We do worse, and we get paid more."

Tony was a bad businessman. Typical overambitious CEO, reminds me of Enron or AIG. Now, Stringer Bell, that's my kind of criminal. Could've been a CEO for PM or MO.

"I know; shit is weak, but, y’know, shit is weak all over. The thing is, no matter what we call heroin, it’s gonna get sold. Shit is strong, we gonna sell it; shit is weak, we gonna sell twice as much. You know why? ‘Cause a fiend, he gonna chase that shit no matter what. It’s crazy, you know. We do worse, and we get paid more."

I loved Wired.

My fav was Omar.

That dude was straight up & took no shit.

I actually learned a lot from "The Wire", one of my all time favorite shows.  The producer, David Simon, was a former journalist for the Baltimore Sun so the show had a truly authentic feel to it.

As someone living in Silicon Valley, I don't think a whole lot about inner cities or port workers.  After watching the show, I started researching ports, transportation companies, and community banks.

Snoop was the best.  The scene where she buys a nail gun is some funny shit.