Jim Simons - Rentech and beyond

LC

• 6 years later...

12 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Yes, crazy performance but I understand that he kept his fund on the smaller side deliberately.  His methods and strategy might not have worked at scale.

42 minutes ago, fareastwarriors said:

Jim Simons, billionaire quantitative investing pioneer who generated eye-popping returns, dies at 86

RIP Jim Simons. The Man Who Solved the Market has some interesting read on how Jim Simons did it.

Hardcover The Man Who Solved the Market: How Jim Simons Launched the Quant Revolution Book

37 minutes ago, Sweet said:

Yes, crazy performance but I understand that he kept his fund on the smaller side deliberately.  His methods and strategy might not have worked at scale.

Yes very true. I think at it's largest, they were using $10-$20b in equity plus 4-5x leverage. It's crazy to see Renaissance Technology as large shareholders in many of the nano-caps I look at, but that money has to go somewhere.

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 2:07 PM, Sweet said:

Yea, the conclusion isn't true (for investors).

The problem is that Medallion could never scale, it was always limited to $5B to $10B in capital. An investor couldn't annualize 66% on an investment in Rentech because of its liquidity cap. You could earn 66% (minus 5% annual fee, and 44% performance fee) on your principle every year, but your interest could only be reinvested elsewhere, making maybe 10% annualized. This is why only employees were allowed to invest for most of its life.

We should call Jim Simons an arbitrageur and a market maker before calling him an investor. It seems like Renaissance has a very effective set of trading/arbing strategies that makes money almost every year, with the only limitation in trade and market sizes. It reminds me of Buffett during the partnership days, as it seemed like his results were very disconnected from the market and every year he was profitable, presumably because he was focusing on special situations instead of long term investments. 

Edited by ValueArb