Wonderful companies I would love to own, if the price were right

valuefinder0525

Guest Schwab711

Typically, when the price is right for me to buy, these wonderful companies don't seem to be that wonderful any more.

That's the whole point of this right? To make these determinations ahead of time so that you are confident in your investment when the market provides you a buying opportunity. I don't think anyone would argue that MCO, MHFI, or MA are no longer wonderful, yet the former 2 trade at or below the market multiple and MA's forward earnings is almost < 20x (first time since 2009 or 10'?). In a few months, I think there will be a lot of folks wishing they had purchased at 52-week lows for an easy return.

All my favorites have been listed so I'd add APH, SLP, and EFX (I'd pick Experian if I lived outside the US).

Only 10 years right? At today's prices:

1. Altius Minerals

2. Pardee Resources

3. National Oilwell Varco / Spectra Energy Corp.

Really? Earnings volatility is sky-high with these names. Seems like a TON of risk to be willing to give up liquidity...

Amazon

I'm close to Jurgis here....

1) Fairfax

2) Berkshire

3) Brookfield Infrastructure

For some reason topic title is very different from question inside the thread.

So I'll answer both:

3 companies at current prices:

1. BRK

2. FFH

3. BAM

3 companies for 10 years at "right prices" - this is rather meaningless, since right price for me might be $1 for GOOGL... but:

1. V

2. TDG

3. GOOGL

Bank of the Ozarks

This one has been on my radar for some time, but never been 'at the right price'. It has recently had a pullback along with financials more generally. I believe it to be a very well run bank. Any thoughts on whats a 'right price' for such a company with a fair bit of growth runway ahead of it?

1. Altius Minerals

2. Pardee Resources

Really? Earnings volatility is sky-high with these names. Seems like a TON of risk to be willing to give up liquidity...

That's why they're cheap? Commodities are down at the moment. The companies are great and commodities will rebound at some point. Do you think these won't be good investments on the 10 year time horizon of this thread?

1. Altius Minerals

2. Pardee Resources

Why Spectra Energy? What price would you own it at?

Well run company which basically acts as a toll road. I own it (at higher prices than today's), I followed the guidelines of the OP, not the title (what companies would you take if you needed to keep them for 10 years at today's prices).

• 2 months later...

Bank of the Ozarks

This one has been on my radar for some time, but never been 'at the right price'. It has recently had a pullback along with financials more generally. I believe it to be a very well run bank. Any thoughts on whats a 'right price' for such a company with a fair bit of growth runway ahead of it?

Thoughts on the Carson Block presentation on Bank of the Ozarks?

Fairfax Financial

Berkshire Hathaway

possibly:

JNJ

Bottom line is, for buy and forget investments, I'd do diversified conglomerates.  Like having a hedge fund without all the BS that comes with a hedge fund.

I won't name any but a few domestic seniors residences, funeral homes and age related health care services and treatments, plus some other demographic plays offer opportunity.

Over the next 10+ years aging, ailing, and dying baby boomers offer a near guaranteed, and pretty dramatic, increase in customers for some companies. Such businesses may not be wonderful companies now, but for some you could expect to double a customer base if the services (like funerals, seniors housing, kidney treatments, etc) are near unavoidable. So your downside might be somewhat protected in what seems to be a rather pricy market today.  As always, with 20/20 hindsight in those circumstances, people would declare such businesses as "wonderful" when in fact, you're just following the money.