The Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie

augustabound

• 10 years later...

I've tried today to look around a bit for this book, inspired by what has been posted recently here on CoBF about charty activities and Charlie Mungers will, where Andrew Carnegie was a major philantropist.

I ended up being severely confused, because I could find so many editions of the book, that I wasen't able to distinguish them from each other. I do not recall having had similar experience earlier with any book since my start of investing.

And the price spread I experienced today of what I see as first hand books was huge.

Any help, - if any available - is very much appreciated.

• 3 months later...
On 5/7/2024 at 4:56 PM, John Hjorth said:

I ended up being severely confused, because I could find so many editions of the book, that I wasen't able to distinguish them from each other. I do not recall having had similar experience earlier with any book since my start of investing.

Did you ever find a good version John?

As you see, @Spooky,

There were no actual constructive contributions from the bookworms here on CoBF about the matter, so I haven't more or less 'just bought one'. I will likely tinker more with the issue when we up here in Northern Europe enter the dark period later this year, I suppose and think. - So the short answer is 'No' to your question. 🙂

As a philanthropist, I imagine Carnegie removed ordered removal of all copyrights from his books as soon as practicable. As such lots of publishers release the books, so the price ranges abound. John, you can get a free copy (online version) at www.gutenberg.org.  I assume Kindle/Amazon has a free online version as well. 

On 8/20/2024 at 8:45 PM, bt1 said:

If you folks did not know this already, Normally out of copyright books(old biographies and such) are also sometimes available in archive.org. You can checkout books for an hour and renew more as you need it(as long as it is available). For e.g. I see this https://archive.org/details/autobiographyofa0000carn_b0m4/page/n10/mode/1up

@bt1 - Are there investing books that are out of copyright that are worth a gander?

@bt1 @jouni1 - Pretty cool resource. I love it. I was looking for Li Lu's Moving the Mountain book -- but, got a lot of false positives. Also, tried to find "The Memoirs of Walter J. Schloss"... those are two rare books I've been wanting to read.

But, I can see other interesting stuff. Thanks!