The Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide - Francine Jay

TorontoRaptorsFan

Its myth that he got to where he is now based purely on book smarts and researching stocks like a recluse.  He exchanged investor ideas, recruited partners/clients AUM, got access to company management (which is no easy thing), orchestrated deal-making.  People downplay his networking skills (or social skills, if you'd prefer that term) as a role in his success...I'm not sure why.    The guy deserves credit for it.

I don't think anyone's saying that he doesn't have tremendous social skills. I'm just saying he didn't start out that way, unlike many others who are just natural social animals.

I agree he didn't start out that way...all I'm saying was that his learning/getting more comfortable with that contributed tremendously to his success. 

but just to be clear as we kind of went on a tangent...I am not suggesting scott or anyone else needs to be more social or conformist...to each his or her own.  All I'm saying is that for those that have a goal of maximizing net worth/professional success can most likely improve their chances by conforming somewhat to societal norms in order to make it easier for other people to relate to you in order to make it easier for you to network/exchange ideas/get deals down or whatever else your profession involves.

+1 to what parsad said

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the original thread topic, I was thinking about this minimalist thread more, I realized a lot of the money spending in my 122k annual budget (as disclosed earlier) I have I would consider "self marketing"

-frequently dining out with a wide range of friends/family (who also happen to be current or  future potential clients).  It is rare I am not out with various groups of friends/family at restaurants or bars multiple times a week.  This is expensive.

-having a modest, but well furnished apartment in Chicago that you can host functions (again for friends/family, who also happen to be  current or future potential clients) at is not cheap

-We travel on average at least once a month.  Typically weekend trips.  95% of the travel we do are either visits to out-of-state family or vacations we take we go on with friends/family (again, who also happen to be current or  future potential clients).  this is expensive. 

-nice tailored clothes to look presentable/professional at all times

I try to keep expenses as low as possible and be as frugal as possible, but at the end of the day it is expensive to have a lifestyle involving frequently meeting with friends/family.  Yes, I could lead a cheaper lifestyle, but it would be difficult then to maintain as wide of a social network of friends/family (again, who also happen to be current or future potential clients).

edit: if ones goal is to manage money for others (as it is mine and I'm sure many others' on this board), this makes it "self-marketing" even more expensive because your clients and potential clients, by definition, tend to be wealthy and wealthy people tend to have more expensive tastes.  ie...nicer restaurants, wines with dinner, more extravagant vacations.  We went on a ski trip in Feb with some friends, we're going to Tetons/Yellowstone this summer with family; that stuff is not cheap.  "Fitting in" and engaging in the activities and lifestyle of your current/potential clients can be very expensive if you work in finance.

Its myth that he got to where he is now based purely on book smarts and researching stocks like a recluse.  He exchanged investor ideas, recruited partners/clients AUM, got access to company management (which is no easy thing), orchestrated deal-making.  People downplay his networking skills (or social skills, if you'd prefer that term) as a role in his success...I'm not sure why.    The guy deserves credit for it.

I don't think anyone's saying that he doesn't have tremendous social skills. I'm just saying he didn't start out that way, unlike many others who are just natural social animals.

I agree he didn't start out that way...all I'm saying was that his learning/getting more comfortable with that contributed tremendously to his success. 

but just to be clear as we kind of went on a tangent...I am not suggesting scott or anyone else needs to be more social or conformist...to each his or her own.  All I'm saying is that for those that have a goal of maximizing net worth/professional success can most likely improve their chances by conforming somewhat to societal norms in order to make it easier for other people to relate to you in order to make it easier for you to network/exchange ideas/get deals down or whatever else your profession involves.

+1 to what parsad said

Watsa's point has been missed throughout.  There is a huge difference between being social and being able to speak in public.  He has always been the former, but not the latter.  He was social in the sense that he always interacted with people.  As he got older and spent time in NY, both while at Columbia and while working for Graham, that he built up a large network of people that he could get ideas from, visit when he was in the city, etc.  He had many good friends in the NY area.  People he would stay with, go out to eat with and so forth.  Many of these people grew very rich in their own right.  Buffett, at least as described, was a collector of people.  Friends never seemed to disappear. 

Watsa's point has been missed throughout.  There is a huge difference between being social and being able to speak in public.  He has always been the former, but not the latter.  He was social in the sense that he always interacted with people.  As he got older and spent time in NY, both while at Columbia and while working for Graham, that he built up a large network of people that he could get ideas from, visit when he was in the city, etc.  He had many good friends in the NY area.  People he would stay with, go out to eat with and so forth.  Many of these people grew very rich in their own right.  Buffett, at least as described, was a collector of people.  Friends never seemed to disappear.

thank you. perhaps I didn't do the best job of explaining myself at first or my choice of words may have been poor. 

Also, Buffett constantly downplays his skills...so his own quotes on the matter are not reliable.  Though he is quoted as saying his Carnegie course diploma hangs in his office (and is the only diploma in his office) because "it changed my life."

I think he is also quoted as saying How to Win Friends and Influence People was the 2nd most influential book in his life (next to Intelligent Investor).

Back to the original thread topic, I was thinking about this minimalist thread more, I realized a lot of the money spending in my 122k annual budget (as disclosed earlier) I have I would consider "self marketing"

-frequently dining out with a wide range of friends/family (who also happen to be current or  future potential clients).  It is rare I am not out with various groups of friends/family at restaurants or bars multiple times a week.  This is expensive.

-having a modest, but well furnished apartment in Chicago that you can host functions (again for friends/family, who also happen to be  current or future potential clients) at is not cheap

-We travel on average at least once a month.  Typically weekend trips.  95% of the travel we do are either visits to out-of-state family or vacations we take we go on with friends/family (again, who also happen to be current or  future potential clients).  this is expensive. 

-nice tailored clothes to look presentable/professional at all times

I try to keep expenses as low as possible and be as frugal as possible, but at the end of the day it is expensive to have a lifestyle involving frequently meeting with friends/family.  Yes, I could lead a cheaper lifestyle, but it would be difficult then to maintain as wide of a social network of friends/family (again, who also happen to be current or future potential clients).

edit: if ones goal is to manage money for others (as it is mine and I'm sure many others' on this board), this makes it "self-marketing" even more expensive because your clients and potential clients, by definition, tend to be wealthy and wealthy people tend to have more expensive tastes.  ie...nicer restaurants, wines with dinner, more extravagant vacations.  We went on a ski trip in Feb with some friends, we're going to Tetons/Yellowstone this summer with family; that stuff is not cheap.  "Fitting in" and engaging in the activities and lifestyle of your current/potential clients can be very expensive if you work in finance.

And does this work?  Personally, if my investment manager was wining and dining as you describe I would take a pass.  I generally dont enjoy that sort of thing anyway, and I dont really want to finance that lifestyle. 

If I weren't running my money myself I would invest with those who live a little humbler such as Parsad,or Chou.  I have a dream of Joel Greenblatt taking me sailing in his dingy in New York Harbour.

I guess I fit right in with the Millionaire Next Door type... dirty hiking boots in the car, somewhat used vehicles (family context).  House is nice though, more than we need. 

I suspect you are mostly right though.  Michael Burry's inability,or lack of need for socializing, has probably handicapped him greatly.  Those who "get" him do really well.  Maybe Warren was more like that at one time and learned to hide it. 

And does this work?  Personally, if my investment manager was wining and dining as you describe I would take a pass.  I generally dont enjoy that sort of thing anyway, and I dont really want to finance that lifestyle. 

When you put it that way, I sound like an embarrassment (lol)!  To be honest though, I don't consider my lifestyle extravagant.  My wife and I rent a 2 bedroom apartment in Chicago.  We own 1 car, a 2010 toyota corolla.  You say 'wining and dining,' but I'm really just meeting friends and family over a meal, and I happen to have a large circle of friends, and a large family and in-laws.  Generally I'll meet people at a restaurant they want to go to, and so the price range is more dictated by their preferences.  And generally we go dutch (as warren did). 

I agree I would not want to put money with someone who lived a wasteful lifestyle. 

I also prefer the hiking boots (I noted I'm heading to tetons/yellowstone this summer!), lol

edit: also, my clients dont and will never "finance my lifestyle" as suggested.  I've been fortunate enough to have a well-paying full time job (as does my wife) and past market success.  If/when I do start full-time asset management, I will have enough in saving to live off my savings exclusively.  Any income from my business would be gravy.

thank you. perhaps I didn't do the best job of explaining myself at first or my choice of words may have been poor. 

Also, Buffett constantly downplays his skills...so his own quotes on the matter are not reliable.  Though he is quoted as saying his Carnegie course diploma hangs in his office (and is the only diploma in his office) because "it changed my life."

I think he is also quoted as saying How to Win Friends and Influence People was the 2nd most influential book in his life (next to Intelligent Investor).

+1 and +1

This is a very interesting discussion.

About Buffett, Kraven and Watsa are right, he was always sociable with great people skills as far as we've been told. He always had friends and partners and Graham and her network may have added to that but that was not new.

I don't see how you can conclude differently if you read his biographies or listen to him. At 9 or 10 he and his friends organized to sell golf balls at a golf course, or recruited others to sell tip sheets at a race track, in high school he partnered with friends to invest in a gas station and whatever that pinball thing was, in a barber shop or something. He made lifelong friends while attending Ben Graham's class and we know the names of many of them. Heck, the guy was even in a fraternity while at U Penn. I think the Carnegie course was all about public speaking.

I think a lot of this comes from the always self derogatory tone he uses when putting himself down and giving credit to others "Oh yeah... I was a mess, the class helped me out, or so and so helped me out etc..." I wonder why people never wonder whether he and Katherine Graham would have even become friends if he didn't have people skills or wasn't a very personable guy to begin with.

He would have been just a millionaire (maybe with a few hundred million; maybe just barely a billionaire) living a quiet private life in Omaha, without the great networking skills.  Also, lets not act like he came from the wrong side of the tracks or the middle class or something.  When your dad is a congressman, you're kind of a big deal in omaha. 

Now for the conversation about Scott. Definitely no need to overreact and use bad language.

Seems like he's found a lifestyle that suits him and he thrives in it so I say you do you brother.

However, while I also don't necessarily like how yadayada might have phrased his opinion or expressed himself I also always make it point to never pretend to be holier than thou in discussions like these.

If we were to bring it to a personal level, I definitely can't sit here and pretend that if it was say my son or a friend that I found living in an apartment with only a sleeping bad and no friends other than internet friends and no girlfriend/boyfriend interests, my first reaction wouldn't be to inquire if everything is ok, and if I'm being very honest I would probably ask more than once. And I can guarantee that many here are exactly the same way, and I refuse to believe that there's anything wrong with that, just the instincts of the social animals we are that have served us so well forever.

Now, you just need to also have the EQ (as in emotional intelligence) to realize that it's just someone being himself, that's all. So again, more power to Scott if he's figured out what works for him, I can tell you that I wouldn't last 1 week like that.

I also don't know why all the hate for Scott. He seems to like what he's doing and isn't hurting anyone. In fact, he's doing less damage to the world by not using his money to buy a bunch of stuff.

I grew up with a bunch of stuff. I think that's why I'm such a minimalist now. My mom would buy me Nike Jordans growing up, designer clothes, a ton of toys, etc. I go to my parents' place now and she still has a bunch of randoms things just sitting in boxes. It's actually kind of suffocating. I'm all about creating wealth - to an extent. Personally, I think there gets to a point (at least for me) when I will have "enough". I don't think it's emotionally healthy to keep trying to get it to grow more and more and more. Look what it did to Buffett. His wife left him and his kids acted like he was off in his own little world a lot of the time. And for what? I'm thinking it's a way for him to have value in himself due to his upbringing from his crazy mom (that's the spin I get from Snowball, anyway).

Here's something to Bogle said that has stuck with me after a read it several years ago:

Question Vanguard is a not-for-profit company. If you'd organized it differently, you'd be a billionaire today. Any regrets?

Answer I read this story recently: There's a big cocktail party on Martha's Vineyard. Someone comes up to this writer, I think it's Joseph Heller [author of "Catch-22"], and says, "Joe, see that guy over there? He's a hedge fund manager, and he made more money yesterday than you made on all the books you have ever published."

Heller looks over, pauses and says, "Yeah, but I have something he'll never have: enough."

And I have enough too.

More power to Scott - I lived the way he did for a couple of years and it did miracles to my bank balance. I think there are others in this board who are very frugal - e.g:, Sanjeev doesn't have a girlfriend or a boyfriend ( unless he has picked one up recently ) and Gio doesnt have one either.

Now for the conversation about Scott. Definitely no need to overreact and use bad language.

Seems like he's found a lifestyle that suits him and he thrives in it so I say you do you brother.

However, while I also don't necessarily like how yadayada might have phrased his opinion or expressed himself I also always make it point to never pretend to be holier than thou in discussions like these.

If we were to bring it to a personal level, I definitely can't sit here and pretend that if it was say my son or a friend that I found living in an apartment with only a sleeping bad and no friends other than internet friends and no girlfriend/boyfriend interests, my first reaction wouldn't be to inquire if everything is ok, and if I'm being very honest I would probably ask more than once. And I can guarantee that many here are exactly the same way, and I refuse to believe that there's anything wrong with that, just the instincts of the social animals we are that have served us so well forever.

Now, you just need to also have the EQ (as in emotional intelligence) to realize that it's just someone being himself, that's all. So again, more power to Scott if he's figured out what works for him, I can tell you that I wouldn't last 1 week like that.

Do one night stands count?  They do get expensive! 

After my Dad died, there was a period of time in my mid-20's where I wanted to get married and there were a few candidates over those years.  Unfortunately, for whatever reason it didn't happen, and I spent my 20's raising my brother instead with my mother.  As I was turning 30, he was all grown up and doing well in University, so I thought that would be the time to focus on myself. 

I had no idea I would run into the love of my life...value investing in 1998!  It's consumed pretty much every facet of my life over the last 15 years.  This website, starting a company with my cousin, launching the funds, meeting Buffett, Prem, Mohnish, Francis, Tim all would never have happened.  So the problem with me isn't finding a woman...but that she has to compete with my business and the things I like to do.  I'm set in my ways now...the dog cannot learn any new tricks...and I'm happier than I've ever been in my life.

Now going back to the one-night or one-week stands...they're great!  ;D  Cheers!

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  He did the Dale Carnegie course because he was scared of public speaking.  He said he was a terrible salesman because he looked and sounded like a 12 year old (something like that).

Re the partnerships, a lot of his original investors were friends and family (not much networking required), and later investors came on board because of performance.

Look, I'm not saying the guy was an anti social recluse, but you can't really be an uber networker living in Omaha, can you?

I think I read that his final partnership was worth $600mln in today's money.  That sounds pretty small to mid cap to me - I know he invested in AMEX.

My idea of a networker is someone who is at the bar at a conference, handing out business cards....

Back to Scott Hall - I found his twitter, the guy's clearly good.  But I found evidence of one expense... a Capital IQ!! They're quite costly, right?

I get Capital IQ through my employment for free. I like it as it helps me see decades of financials on one screen, but I wouldn't pay for it personally.

As for everything else: you guys can think I'm crazy or not. A good chunk of my office does, but we get along well anyway. I don't really let what people think about my lifestyle influence me, because it does not really matter to me what anyone thinks of me.

I dropped out of the fourth grade and became a recluse for over a decade before I was hired by my employer. I'm happy to go back to that lifestyle should it ever be necessary. For various reasons I don't have to work, I just do so because it gives me something to do. This is true freedom to me. Beyond the laws of the land, I don't have to answer to anyone if I do not want to, which I think is an advantage as it allows me to run my life my way and live by my own principles.

I'm not going to condemn any of you for having more lavish or more frugal lifestyles than I have. If that is what makes you happy, then I am glad for you. My way is not for everyone and I know that, but it is the best way for me that I have found. If I ever find a better one, I will change, but until then, I am happy with how I operate right now.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  He did the Dale Carnegie course because he was scared of public speaking.  He said he was a terrible salesman because he looked and sounded like a 12 year old (something like that).

Re the partnerships, a lot of his original investors were friends and family (not much networking required), and later investors came on board because of performance.

Look, I'm not saying the guy was an anti social recluse, but you can't really be an uber networker living in Omaha, can you?

I think I read that his final partnership was worth $600mln in today's money.  That sounds pretty small to mid cap to me - I know he invested in AMEX.

My idea of a networker is someone who is at the bar at a conference, handing out business cards....

Back to Scott Hall - I found his twitter, the guy's clearly good.  But I found evidence of one expense... a Capital IQ!! They're quite costly, right?

I get Capital IQ through my employment for free. I like it as it helps me see decades of financials on one screen, but I wouldn't pay for it personally.

As for everything else: you guys can think I'm crazy or not. A good chunk of my office does, but we get along well anyway. I don't really let what people think about my lifestyle influence me, because it does not really matter to me what anyone thinks of me.

I dropped out of the fourth grade and became a recluse for over a decade before I was hired by my employer. I'm happy to go back to that lifestyle should it ever be necessary. For various reasons I don't have to work, I just do so because it gives me something to do. This is true freedom to me. Beyond the laws of the land, I don't have to answer to anyone if I do not want to, which I think is an advantage as it allows me to run my life my way and live by my own principles.

I'm not going to condemn any of you for having more lavish or more frugal lifestyles than I have. If that is what makes you happy, then I am glad for you. My way is not for everyone and I know that, but it is the best way for me that I have found. If I ever find a better one, I will change, but until then, I am happy with how I operate right now.

Good for you Scott!  Do what works for you.  I know too many people who conform and are depressed, unhappy with life, and haven't found themselves.  Better to be different than one of them!  Cheers!

The inner scorecard at its best.

Guest wellmont

+1 and +1

This is a very interesting discussion.

About Buffett, Kraven and Watsa are right, he was always sociable with great people skills as far as we've been told. He always had friends and partners and Graham and her network may have added to that but that was not new.

I don't see how you can conclude differently if you read his biographies or listen to him. At 9 or 10 he and his friends organized to sell golf balls at a golf course, or recruited others to sell tip sheets at a race track, in high school he partnered with friends to invest in a gas station and whatever that pinball thing was, in a barber shop or something. He made lifelong friends while attending Ben Graham's class and we know the names of many of them. Heck, the guy was even in a fraternity while at U Penn. I think the Carnegie course was all about public speaking.

I think a lot of this comes from the always self derogatory tone he uses when putting himself down and giving credit to others "Oh yeah... I was a mess, the class helped me out, or so and so helped me out etc..." I wonder why people never wonder whether he and Katherine Graham would have even become friends if he didn't have people skills or wasn't a very personable guy to begin with.

he was greatly influenced by the teachings of Dale Carnegie. He sticks to the principles in the book (htwfaip). and it works. He probably figured a lot of it out on his own too.

I was almost with Scott for a few years.  Lived with a 2 inch pad to sleep on and a desktop on the floor for a while.  Rode a bike everywhere.

Out of college I lived in a garage, no heat, no water, no insulation, no restroom.  It was detached, and had gaping gaps through the cinder blocks.  Half was for living (err...freezing in the winter), the other half was a shop for the motorcycle (upgrade from the bike).  Some of the most fun times of my life!  To be fair, I did have an electric blanket.

• 1 year later...

Thank you Scott for your perspective. I've enjoyed checking into your twitter posts from time to time.

Well after a year into my minimalist lifestyle I have to say that it's brought life into a whole new perspective. I think a lot of people think that if you become a minimalist you are making HUGE sacrifices which is complete nonsense. If anything the fewer possessions I own I tend to appreciate more. And I'm able to spend more on quality products than on quantity.

For one not having a constant need to purchase new material items has been terrific for my bank account.

Cleaning my home has become a lot easier. I had over 500 books. A lot of them I gave away to friends and family as gifts. I sent some to a service which made digital copies of them in a PDF format to allow me to read them on my iPad Mini.

There are some good websites which I have found that some of you may enjoy perusing.

www.theminimalists.com

www.zenhabits.net

www.becomingminimalist.com

www.bemorewithless.com

Thank you Scott for your perspective. I've enjoyed checking into your twitter posts from time to time.

Well after a year into my minimalist lifestyle I have to say that it's brought life into a whole new perspective. I think a lot of people think that if you become a minimalist you are making HUGE sacrifices which is complete nonsense. If anything the fewer possessions I own I tend to appreciate more. And I'm able to spend more on quality products than on quantity.

For one not having a constant need to purchase new material items has been terrific for my bank account.

Cleaning my home has become a lot easier. I had over 500 books. A lot of them I gave away to friends and family as gifts. I sent some to a service which made digital copies of them in a PDF format to allow me to read them on my iPad Mini.

There are some good websites which I have found that some of you may enjoy perusing.

www.theminimalists.com

zenhabits.net

becomingminimalist.com

bemorewithless.com

Happy to share.

Toronto is right, by the way. You don't really give up much that matters. I've always loved video games, and I still play them. Minimalism to me is more about centralizing things. Like Toronto's books; I love to read, but instead of getting the physical copy, I get the Kindle edition whenever possible.

It just makes life a lot easier to deal with. My brother brought a blow-up mattress over when he came to visit, and left it behind. I slept on it since it was here, but when the air got low, I couldn't open it to put the pump in.

So I just put a knife through it, started sleeping on the floor again, and now use its folded up remnants as a place to sit.

Toronto,

Mind sharing the PDF conversion service???

Did similar stuff as Scott when in undergrad, although I did have a roommate. I liked hanging out with people but it was limited mostly because I was focused on a goal, getting into med school, so basically anything that didn't have a direct impact towards that I almost completely ignored. I noticed similar behavior in other people in my med school class, one person who had an aerospace engineering degree from MIT, worked at SpaceX etc, lived in an apartment with no furniture, white walls, no A/C. Another guy, slept on cots in the med school path lab, studied constantly, rarely went home, he became an orthopedic surgeon. I think for some people, when you have a very specific goal in mind and you are determined to get it pretty much everything else becomes secondary. That said, once I got my acceptance I started dating, got married, have kids now which make me very happy. I just couldn't even entertain any of that until I had met a very important goal, I think some people are like that, my 2 cents.