TORSTAR

KFRCanuk

How much is their land worth?  Probably a good fraction of that $150m...

Do they own land? They seem to have leases on the One Yonge Street building, the Harlequin HQ and the Waterloo paper HQ.

Last I checked, they own a big parcel in Vaughn.

How much is their land worth?  Probably a good fraction of that $150m...

Do they own land? They seem to have leases on the One Yonge Street building, the Harlequin HQ and the Waterloo paper HQ.

Last I checked, they own a big parcel in Vaughn.

They only have $6.4 mn on the books for property plant and equipment, but book value rules are stupid for land, it never gets priced up to market, so I suppose they could have bought the land for $5 million and have it worth $50 million now. You would think that would be worth a mention somewhere in the company's financial statements - especially now taht the company is worth about $150 mn ex-Harlequin. Maybe it's there, but I haven't found anything.

Guest Quebec

With the Harlequin proceeds, would it make sense for Torstar to swallow Glacier ?

Glacier community and trade publications seems like a fit into their remaining activities.

Tim McElvaine, recently appointed director at Glacier, is quoted a few time in this article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/torstar-to-sell-harlequin-to-news-corp-for-455-million/article18386845/

Torstar CEO says:  "an asset sale of the core newspaper holdings – including community newspaper publisher Metroland Media Group Ltd. – is not in the cards. "

(I own both stocks)

I see above several references to Francis Chou liking/holding Torstar and I had the same recollection. However checked Chou's latest holdings in Assoc, Asia and Europe as of Dec 31st and Torstar is not listed.  Does anyone know for sure if Chou was holding Torstar.

thanks,

As of Dec 31, 2013 - 6.1% of his Chou RRSP fund was in TorStar. 

http://choufunds.com/pdf/RRSPport1213.pdf

thanks,

s

I see above several references to Francis Chou liking/holding Torstar and I had the same recollection. However checked Chou's latest holdings in Assoc, Asia and Europe as of Dec 31st and Torstar is not listed.  Does anyone know for sure if Chou was holding Torstar.

thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...